[Suggestion] Shotgun Attachment: Silencer

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Beerbeerbeer, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Beerbeerbeer

Not sure how other people might feel about this, but I do enjoy the pump-action shotguns as use them occasionally.

One attachment I wish they had is a silencer.

I know this isn't no country for old men, but it would add some flavor to these things and make behind-the-lines assaults a bit more interesting.
  2. FateJH

So what is its downside?
  3. Beerbeerbeer

Well, it would suffer the same penalty as other weapons that use silencers: reduced bullet velocity and range.
    • Up x 1
  4. Mr Ixolate

Doesn't it also reduce the maximum damage range?
  5. Beerbeerbeer

I believe silencers both reduces bullet velocity by some amount and shortens the damage drop off curve.

In other words, say X gun does 143 at 10 meters, 130 at 50 meters and drops to 110 at 100 meters, a silencer might cause that curve to shorten, so it drops from 143 to 130 at 40 meters instead of 50. I just threw out numbers, but I believe silencers causes the above to some degree.

Shotguns would follow the same curve shortening.

So the short answer would be yes, the damage at range would be reduced even more as a trade off for not showing up on the mini-map.
  6. Shiaari

Hehehehe, shotgun silencer!

This video is hilarious! "Home defense scenario........." Just ignore the fact these things add a whole FOOT to your muzzle! ROFL!

EDIT: Better idea than a silencer, how about DRAGON'S BREATH rounds!? Huh?? HUH!? Check the last part of that video. Put THAT on your SCAT MAX and smoke it! Literally.
    • Up x 4
  7. eldarfalcongravtank

as an avid shotgun user i would say this isnt needed.

shotguns (especially pumps) are so deadly inside closequarters that it would be pretty much gamebreaking to not be able to hear a guy slaughtering an entire squad in a building since they dont hear the *thump* due to battle noise. the loud and characteristic sound of a shotgun blast should remain as it is to serve as a warning for enemies. just like the cloaking noise of an Infiltrator.
  8. Beerbeerbeer

Well, all silenced guns still make noise that can easily be heard.

In fact, some seem almost just as loud, whereas there are a few that are relatively quiet.

However, I really don't care how much of a racket it makes. What makes the silencer nice is not showing up as a red dot on the mini-map upon firing.
  9. Lemposs

A weapon that strong in close quarters without it reveling you on the map, I am gonna say no. And I should be extremely biased for such an option, but even I would call it too much of an advantage.
    • Up x 1
  10. TheFlamingLemon

This isn't topical but the artemis silenced is like DEAD SILENT it's really weird to use cause you barely hear yourself fire
  11. Beerbeerbeer

Yeah, there are a few guns I've tested that are indeed really quiet. However, some silencers seemingly have the opposite effect on certain guns and, while not necessarily louder purely from a db perspective, just different, more high-pitched.

Not sure if this was by design or just by accident.
  12. Agarthan

• Up x 1
  13. PostalDude

FPS is a load of garbage, and he isnt even using subsonic ammunition with the surpressor.
  14. cbplayer

That guy got better aim than I do
  15. cobaltlightning

I will only agree to this attachment suggestion if it harms the damage profile greatly, such as turning the pump action shotgun into a 2-shot kill at point blank, or a 1shot-knife combo. I'm probably gonna get some hate for this, but I would think it a fair trade for not showing up on the minimap.

The damage dropoff is null, since shotguns are the kings of CQC anyway: Using them past 5-8 meters without slugs is just stupid.
  16. cbplayer

You can do that making a shotgun that shoots charge spiker bullets, for they have a flame effect and give it after burn damage.
  17. _itg

There's no question it's deliberate that SMGs and CQC carbines/assault rifles have suppressors, and shotguns don't. There's hardly any drawback to suppressing a gun that's only good at point blank in the first place, and there's no way silent instagibs are going to be good for the game.
  18. Shiaari

Umm, you're wrong about that.

He's only shooting buckshot (super sonic) at the start of the video. When he is shooting the clays you can see he's switched to birdshot (subsonic), which is evidenced by the fact his shots at the clays are MUCH quieter than the buckshot.

How do I know this? Two signs: First, at the start of the video he's using a different weapon than he does for the rest of it. It has a pistol grip. He could've removed it, but I doubt that. He probably switched shotguns altogether. Second, the buckshot (and the dragon's breath) casings have "high brass." The amount of brass in a shotgun shell gives you a general idea of how much powder is in the load. Buckshot is heavy, requiring a lot of powder to move, so it has "high brass." The same goes for the dragon's breath, except it needs the extra powder to ignite the magnesium pellets more efficiently. When he's shooting the clays, however, he's using "low brass" (skeet) shells. That's classic number 8 bird shot. You don't want a magnum shell (high brass) when you're pounding clays, unless you want a black and blue shoulder.

High brass versus low brass:

This is just to illustrate the difference between high and low brass. These two shells are of different gauge. There are high and low (standard and magnum) for every gauge. For example, you wouldn't go duck hunting with a standard shell, you would want a magnum because you're shooting at higher targets. Pheasant, dove, and grouse tend to fly lower, and should be hit with standard shells because you want something left to eat. I hope. Yet, for skeet and sporting clays you want an even lighter load, so they have even less brass than these two examples. Should be pretty obvious.
    [IMG]

And you don't need to use subsonic ammunition to benefit from a silencer or suppressor. Sure, subsonic is silenced MORE, but it doesn't mean super sonic ammunition ISN'T silenced.

The only thing he says that's questionable is that whole "home defense" scenario. A silencer lengthens the muzzle, making turning corners a problem. That's why pistols are much better for home defense.

Still, I wouldn't call him garbage. He seems to know a lot more about guns and how to handle them than most, including myself.
  19. Liewec123

8,500 shotgun kills here,
    and i've gotta agree with the folks saying that a silencer is unneeded,
    plus, its a shotgun! you don't silence a shotgun! XD

i wouldn't complain if it was added, but it wouldn't really do anything :p
    since you're always on the minimap anyway in a decent fight, theres always a dozen recon tools plonked around
  20. Gundem

A choke that actually worked(Read: Improved drop off) would be much appreciated though. Lower the damage tier while ADS for a 15-20 meter kill range? Yes pls.