Should the AV turret be turned into an anti-tank cannon?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheMish, Oct 7, 2015.

1. TheMish

Seems like alot of people complain that the AV turret is overpowered, because it does alot of damage, it's extremely easy to use, and widely available.

So would turning it into an anti-tank cannon be better? Instead of a laser guided missle, it's just a cannon. Has recoil, fires a fast HEAT or AP shell, same or faster reloading rate.

Some examples:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  2. LodeTria

It should have always been a portable SPEAR turret.
    It never should have been this guided decimator we have.
    • Up x 1
  3. Hammerlock

i would preffer empire specific AV turrets
    VS get a laser/plasma variant of it like a stationary lancer
    the TR get the actual turret
    and NC get some missile variant with phoenix mechanics
  4. FateJH

They should have just mounted stat-modified Vehicle secondaries on the Engineer turret from the start.
  5. Pyrode

Only if the VS one gets all the benefits of the Lancer. Single fire, half charge and full charge (with the appropiate ranges that the Lancer has). NC and TR snipers would have much more trouble headshotting me with that.
  6. Lemposs

Should have been from the start, but it is too late now. We got ravens, lockons, Lancer and Vortex, gibbing the AV turret, will only lead them to those instead.
  7. Taemien

Leave it as is. It gives snipers something useful to do.
  8. ColonelChingles

The AV MANA turret wasn't even supposed to be an AV turret... it was meant to be an AI mortar.

Which is why it looks suspiciously like a mortar. Honestly AV MANA turrets should be removed and instead readjusted to their proper role of bombarding infantry from range.

[IMG][IMG]
    • Up x 3
  9. TheMish

Holy **** this might be the greatest proposition ever.

I have never thought about that, that it's really just the bulldog with some remodeling.

Yeah...that could be a much better idea. They could always save the script, and add TOW missiles in the future.
  10. ColonelChingles

The filename of the AV MANA turret is actually something like "Vehicle_Common_EngineerDeployable_Weapon_Howitzer_Placement_LOD0". So it's called a howitzer (it's not really a howtizer), which implies an artillery function.

As for the TOW...

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  11. TheMish

Oh no, I was thinking on a lightning or mbt, as a side attachment to the main gun.
  12. Taemien

This guy gets hackusations based on his ability to deal with AV mana turrets, based on his quote from another thread:

What's everyone else's problem?
  13. AxiomInsanity87

Op's pics are too good and too high tech for ps2.

[IMG]

This just makes too much sense, too good for it to be real. This turret would fire a projectile at 20m/s, have 100hp and kill the operator when used.

50% chance to jam and 15 second reload time.

Optional side grade ammo that has increased chance to jam and reduced damage.

This is entirely fitting and anyone who disagrees is living in a dream world or needs to git gud.
  14. ColonelChingles

Huh... that's too bad. I don't have anything for those. :(

OH WAIT.

[IMG]

First one is like the old Malyutka missiles on Russian IFVs. Single shot, high damage, wire-guided. An AV MANA turret on a Lightning. Nothing super fancy, but it lets the Lightning snipe armour from range.

[IMG]

[IMG]

The second one is like the TOW missile you'd find on American IFVs. In a box off to the side. This one in particular splits the single missile into four submunitions, though it's still used in the same way as the AV MANA turret currently is.

[IMG]

As for MBTs, the super easy way would be to just let them fire off ATGMs from their cannon (no idea how the Magrider would do it). Like the 125mm Russian Refleks or 120mm Israeli LAHAT:

[IMG]

These would allow tanks to engage targets beyond cannon range or simply being more precise against smaller or moving targets.
    • Up x 1
  15. TheMish

The Lightning one should probably get cheap, weak spam firing rockets. Because Lightnings are cheap, and giving them too much anti-tank abilities would make them superior to the MBT, and even today, you can probably win an argument saying that lightnings are superior to mbts overall.

But yeah, those tow rockets, definitely should be mounted on mbts. Having very low ammunition, like 2-4 shots, but do a lot of damage when they hit.
  16. ColonelChingles

I dunno. I mean roof-mounted ATGMs on MBTs are really rare. Maybe the old T-62s like the T-62K. Mostly it's because MBTs are roomy enough where you can fire ATGMs from the main gun, so why wear a silly hat on the outside if you could load and fire ATGMs from the safety of inside?

IFVs and light tanks, like the Lightning, usually have a turret that is too small so they get ATGMs mounted in strange, awkward positions. The Lightning's 100mm cannon might be too small to launch large ATGMs, for example.

Although newer light tanks such as the Russian Sprut and Chinese ZTD-05 also fire missiles from the main gun too, as these light tanks get larger weapons (instead of just an autocannon).
  17. Daigons

Just leave the current turrets alone and simply add a 4th direct fire projectile cannon. There is nothing over powering about the AV turret since the exposed engineer is free-cert-bait screaming for Snipers, Pilots, and Tank crews to one shot.
  18. Rentago

you know to be honest I hate the current turret setup with it being on a tripod.

It limits what kind of gun model they can prop on it.

Why don't they give you a swivel seat like PS1 and they can simply just change out the gun attachments like if it were one of those base wall turrets.

[IMG]

Look at this magestic beast of engineering, this is what you could poop out and hop in whenver, of course this is a bit too big much like a lot of things in planetside 1, but I still think they could make a simple swivel seat turret that engineers can place with cannons, machine guns, rockets, etc.

Because with the way they are going about wanting to give engineer more types of turrets, they rely heavily on animations for your character model to lean and turn, when they can just have you sit in a turret and have that thing just have turning radius while simply swapping out the guns to make it much easier on the developers.

[IMG]

because you know, if you really hate this then you can continue to have:

[IMG]
  19. xSalt

I kind of like the idea of the tripod. However, it being a simple tripod, why can I not put a shotgun or battle rifle on top of it. It would be cool if engineers had just the deployable tripod shield but could affix there primary weapons to it.
  20. Idiocy

Wait, I thought we were done complaining about the AV turret and moved on to prowlers/gatekeeper.