[BUG] Smoke cheat

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by prodavit, Oct 6, 2015.

1. prodavit

I don't know if you guys fix the smoke gunade bug where you can set your graphics setting so you can see inside smoke. This ruin the porpuse/effectiveness of smoke and pretty much cheating for people who know the trick. I know in the test server they fix this but it been a year and i still havent see it on the live server unless it been added recently. Thought i would remind you guys if you forget or something.
    • Up x 3
  2. Ronin Oni

Just don't use smoke.

I haven't ever since I found out that this was considered legal
    • Up x 1
  3. tijolo

Try it with different settings and messing around the .ini and tell us yourself what you've found. Also make sure the enemies are not using night vision scopes because, you know, those use heat signatures and allow them to see you through smoke. There was once an idea for an anti-thermals implant. I'm kinda glad it didn't go through.
  4. Hatesphere

they seem to not care about this bug even though a lot of MLG try hards turn off smoke. pretty much invalidates smoke entirely in any serious fight. needs to be fixed.
    • Up x 1
  5. prodavit

So I just tested it and this cheat is still there, this need to be fix and won't take long to be done, since it's already on the test server for like a year now.
  6. JojoTheSlayer

Yes, its know, yes its a old "bug". No, it will most likely not be "fixed".

That said, while I have not tested this myself, turning smoke off like that also removes tracers. Aka, you dont get the visual information that you are being shot at unless you see the ground pop or you actually get hit... Thats not really a benefit.
    Secondly, thermal sights is already a ingame and intended smoke counter. Then you have the Q spam thing. Still, with these intended things most people dont have smoke off or use the other means listed. So in a macro sense using smoke still helps.

You do get people to think its cover, which is good for LA thermal ambushes.
    You do get randoms and noobs to push with you in an attack if they see smoke cover.
    In some extent one might even claim. Want people to attack? Go Max < LA Smoke bandoleer.

In short, while the "turning off" smoke is a exploit to some extent. It doesnt really change the outcome of smoke usage ingame because of the other counters and it and "no smoke" settings impact on the macro battle as a whole. Sure, it doesnt mean turning off smoke is "okay" or anything like that, but all I am saying is that this aspect does NOT make smoke redundant.
  7. Plastikfrosch

i dont think that too many people use this option. often enough i use my S-version carbines on my engy with smoke-nade-launcher and NV-scope and it works pretty fine for me while they have problems to get me. I think there are bigger problems like unintentional continent changes (sometimes i just wanted to teleport to the next base and ended on a locked continent) or the fackt that cheaters in max suits can run around for days and kill thousands of people before they get banned.
  8. FateJH

Those problems inhabit two separate realms despite the fact that they both do affect the game.
    It'd be easy to fix the broken settings in the ini, even with an inelegant visual effect.
    It's not easy to fix broken people.
  9. Athmosfear

The problem is not the smoke (hack/cheat what ever you want to call that) its the f*cking changes in the .ini that you can make to see cloakedsnipers, hunters, flashes etc with ease. Thats absolutely an NO-GO in my opinion.
  10. prodavit

you're telling me that not alot of people use this? All you have to do is get your graphic setting to low. Not everyone have a 3000$ gaming pc. most people play it on their laptop, on low setting which means if I throw smoke at them it's useless. which distory the usefulness of smoke, which is why, no one's using smoke.

and with spam Q, actully you can't, if you push q 5 times in a row and dont spot someone then your Q is lock for like 5 sec I think? that's what I found from play testing. you guys should try it and see if it's just me.

this problem need to be fix or else smoke will never be competitive.
  11. Hatesphere

low settings does not turn off smoke fully, you have to actually go into the .ini file manually and adjust the particle draw distance or some such value to a number that you can not set it to in the normal in game settings.
  12. prodavit

I play on my laptop, on a low setting. I didn't touch anything else. I can see through smoke when I'm inside it. sooo.... even if you can still see some smoke while inside it, you can still see other people as clear as day inside it.

sure you can go into setting a fix this for yourself, but I can't fix it for everyone else. like someone said you can fix your setting but you can't fix people

Solution- Fix it so that you can only see inside smoke when using nightvision scope and thermal vision. (FOR ALL SETTINGS)
  13. prodavit

[IMG]

This is how smoke is in PS2
    • Up x 1