[Vehicle] AV Sunderer Fury vs Bulldog?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ElricVIII, Oct 3, 2015.

1. ElricVIII

I've got a few friends that have joined the game with me and I am working on putting together a 3-man AV Sunderer. I am leveling the bulwark defense slot and rival handling mod. I'm now wondering which launcher is the best for taking out enemy armor. Which is the most useful for this?
  2. Nogrim313

bull dogs really suck.

if you want to take out armour your probably just best off with upgraded basilisk honestly
    • Up x 1
  3. ElricVIII

The main issue I see is that basilisks take a big penalty on damage vs tanks (according to this) assuming they count as heavy machine guns as their description states, since the type-line only says "sunderer front/rear gunner."

What do Fury/Bulldog count as in the chart?
  4. FrozenCustard

Bulldog is the worst. It has very slow velocity and drops like a brick, making it impossible to use at most distances.
  5. ColonelChingles

Assuming 100% accuracy and firing at the maximum allowable rate... and against the front of a Lightning and only counting a single weapon...

Fury
    400 raw damage per shot, adjusted to 140 damage from Lightning directional armour and then to 98 for Lightning Light AV resistance. That's 31 hits to kill.
    Since the Fury fires at 2.85 rounds per second, it would take 10.9 seconds to fire off 31 shots. Plus since Furies have an 8 round belt, you would need 2 reload cycles at 3 seconds each.
    Thus the total TTK for a single Fury against the front of a Lightning would be 16.9 seconds.

Bulldog
    1,000 raw damage per shot, adjusted to 350 from Lightning directional armour and then to 245 for Lightning Light AV resistance. That's 13 hits to kill.
    Since the Bulldog fires at 0.8 rounds per second, it would take 16.25 seconds to fire off 13 shots. As Bulldogs have a 6 round magazine, you would need 2 reload cycles at 4 seconds each.
    Thus the total TTK for a single Bulldog against the front of a Lightning would be 24.25 seconds.

Based on the theoretical TTKs, the Furies are far more effective for anti-Lightning work than the Bulldogs. Also more forgiving of misses too.

In comparison, if an AP Lightning were to attack a Sunderer, the Lightning's 1,600 raw damage would be reduced to 880 from the Sunderer's directional armour and then to 545.6 from the Sunderer's resistance to AP fire. This means against a Sunderer it would take 8 hits to kill.
    Since the Lightning AP cannon fires a round every 3 seconds, it would take 21-24 seconds for a Lightning to kill the Sunderer from any angle.

So a Fury Sunderer with a single gunner can kill an AP Lightning before the AP Lightning can destroy the Sunderer. Against a single Bulldog Sunderer, an AP Lightning only has a 0.25-3.25 second advantage so it pretty much comes down to who hits first. On top of this, we are assuming that the Sunderer lands all frontal hits against the Lightning and does not manage to flank or ram.

Add in a second gunner, and there is no way that a Lightning can survive an engagement with what should be an armoured bus.

Sunderers are extremely poorly designed in PS2, because they are supposed to be transport vehicles that end up being more durable than tanks. If Sunderers were unarmed or very weakly armed this would not be a problem, but their extreme durability combined with their weaponry is quite ridiculous.

Lightning AP TTKs
    Galaxy- 27 seconds
    Sunderer- 24 seconds
    Vanguard (front)- 21 seconds
    Magrider/Prowler (front)- 18 seconds
    • Up x 2
  6. Liewec123

its a hard choice between basilisks and furys when i'm battle bussing,
    basilisks have far superior range and ease of use, but furies have faster TTK and greater CQC AI.
  7. Imp C Bravo

Furies. Good against everything. Even ESFS if your gunners are on point. The only thing you'll have to worry about is Gals and Libs -- which can be overcome with a walker at the cost of only having a 5 or so sec advantage against tanks. Bulldog sounds cool -- but just doesn't work as well as one would expect.
  8. CNR4806

This is the weapon selection of the Sunderer to my understanding:
    Basilisk - Jack-of-all-trades, do everything well but not excellent at any. Bonus points for being easy to use.
    Kobalt - Dedicated AI, limited anti-air (better than the Basilisk against ESF, but useless against Lib/Gal)
    Fury - Dedicated AV, okay AI
    Walker - Dedicated AA, limited AI, very limited AV
    Ranger/Bulldog - Dedicated cert/DBC trap

If you aren't going to roll with friends every time you log on, I'll recommend the Basilisk for your AV work because public gunners tend to suck less in them compared to the arcing Fury.

Personally, I run Kobalt + Walker as an armor column support, but that setup should be irrelevant to your purpose.
  9. ElricVIII

Okay, so I have finally acquired enough funds for dual furies with thermals. Thanks for the advice everyone.
  10. RedArmy

the Bulldog is better at burst damage able to hit harder and great in groups or defence around corners vs infantry
    The Fury is best in class for the AI battle bus, also effective vs light vehicles
    i run my sundy front basilisk with maxed out ammo capacity75 rounds and rear with Walker for AA. the extra 25 rounds in my basilisk really help out when people expect you to stop firing and think they can take a lil more before thay back off
  11. Kristan

As many stated above if you're going for AV Sundie then go for Furries.

Though I do like Bulldog/Basilisk mix. Both guns are great for dealing with armor and infantry alike. Bulldog is not effective against armor as Fury, yet it has way better splash radius to deal with infantry,
  12. Ransurian

AV Sunderers are some of the most egregious chicanery in Planetside 2. Just cert out a tank or a harasser.
  13. LodeTria

If you hover over the type of damage it shows you what's in that category.
    That said furys and bulldogs are Light Anti-Armour Ordnance.

Furies have 12 rounds with Extended Mags.