Stat Padding

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CrossFitForLifeBRAH, Oct 3, 2015.

1. CrossFitForLifeBRAH

So I was browsing stats at the following:

http://ps2.fisu.pw/

I'd never seen the site before and while poking around I found:
    http://ps2.fisu.pw/statpadders/

It left me with a read strange feeling. It has a disclaimer that says they are possible instances of padding but, to check the kill boards and make sure. After seeing the disclaimer I clicked several of the links to open kill boards of possible padding offenders and was surprised, although I guess I shouldn't have been. I know people in general like to misrepresent themselves but, why waste time inflating one's K/D when the time could be spent actively having fun? Or is it for certs? Directives?

I don't care if someone cheeses out something I worked to get at all. I could care less but, I've seen countless arguments on balance where stats are used to validate one side or the other and now I'm not sure what to believe. I saw something like 100 instances of this occurred in the last three days? If this is happening regularly do you think it's enough to cause the statistical analysis to be flawed or should a minor +/- considered?

If you were in an outfit with people you knew were padding stats would you/do you know about this and is it excepted ?

Do you think new players are discouraged when they have a low k/d and see others they play along side with higher numbers to the point they may give up before they get the hang of this game? I think planetside 2 has great players and is already daunting enough for the new guy without having to compare himself to someone who's falsely representing statistics inflated from non competitive kills.

The game is not about K/D ratio. I've heard it said a million times. I understand this completely but, I've always used K/D as measuring stick to see if I'm progressing and to compare it verse others I had been in squads/platoons with to see how they were doing while playing. While I didn't see names I regularly play with I could imagine being disgruntled if I was to find out of the misrepresentation if I had.

I don't think this is as bad as employing some sort of "hack" but, it seems detrimental all the same. Why record stats if this is allowed? Why not just hand directives to everyone.... while we're at it lets end the war and let each faction have one continent and will rotate Hossin around every four months.... instead of alerts we can get together for slumber parties.

tl:dr - why do people stat pad? I have to think it's contradictory to the spirit of competition.

ps. sorry for the long rant; I was shocked but, not sure if I should have been. Take away the unearned kills or put the Barry Bonds asterisk by some names indicating false representation? or not -
  2. Silkensmooth

People also frequently fly ESf as light assualt so they can bail and redeploy before they hit the ground. Stat padding is alive and well.
    • Up x 1
  3. Metallic123

I accept revives so my kdr doesn't look bad...... help me :(
    • Up x 1
  4. CrossFitForLifeBRAH

And you don't see how these are both different than creating another account with and alt and setting up some place out of the way and killing them over and over? the flyer is surviving in combat with an option everyone has and would probably not try to hide it from anyone and you can look at K/D with real deaths; I want to say the recursion stat tracker has that number.

I'd wager the padding I'm talking about is something a player would likely try to hide from others. I'm not saying the redeploying flyer is taking an admirable option to escape but, it least there's a chance to catch him in the air. The flyer or the person who only uses the max might have an inflated kdr at first glance compared to the average infantry player but at least they were in battle and there's stats to show infantry k/d separate from vehicle k/d.
  5. KoRneY

I have a decent k/d and almost 140,000 kills... not a single entry on there :)

some of these other people... it looks like at least one is going around on locked continents and blowing up turrets and cashing in on killing vehicles for directives.