167 Damage Tier Weapon Imbalance?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SirFrancisGobelcoque, Apr 7, 2014.

1. SirFrancisGobelcoque

Existing 167 guns are mostly all fairly good. The Razor specifically is my favorite gun in the entire game. Baby handles like a dream.

BUT, the 167 tier is missing the entire class of CQC weapons for no apparent reason. It is possible to balance this theoretical type of weapon, and I feel the Cougar on PTS is a great example of that. I just don't know why 167 automatically became the long range weapon type only tier.

Forget ALL preconceptions you have on the existing weapon tiers and think about what damage tier should be inherently best at range, all other things being equal? (recoil/sec, bloom/sec, dpm, recoil bias). It would be 143 guns. Why? 143 guns scale better w/ damage dropoff and have more consistent recoil/shot. This allows more consistent damage to be placed at range with slightly higher dps retention.

Why then do we have the wonky balance we have now?
  2. Epic High Five

Agreed, and you know you don't have to convince me, as hard as I push people to embrace the kissing distance X11 loadout of laser/HVA :D

I'm not sure where it became a canonical part of gaming, but people see low ROF and just automatically say NOPE and grab some horrible bullet hose instead, even though the 200/500 tier have better dps than the SVA-88, and that's not including the much more dramatic zero second damage differential! Great synergy with quick knifing too considering it's just two body shots+knife to kill, two shots being easy to make even if you're hipfiring on the move toward them.

I think the Cyclone has done a lot to shake this notion from people because, goddamn, that gun man, that gun. All the BR100's I see rolling with Mercs or Gauss Rifles with just lasers on them is pretty telling too.

My point is that I don't think a ROF increase is really necessary - I think they're perfectly fine in CQC as is. I mean I use other guns in CQC but I always come back to my SAW because it (and other high dmg, low ROF guns) just have a kind of raw lethality that is lacking from other guns. I'm auraxing the 11A right now to round out my collection and...ugh, it's a change after so much Reaper time to be sure. Hell, look at the Bandit - it's basically a Mercenary that needs to burst fire at longer ranges, but gets 0.75x ADS. All things considered, I have zero doubt that this gun is going to be the best of the new carbines and I don't even think it has a thread on the test server page!

That said I certainly wouldn't say no to a higher ROF, close-mid specialized AR, or 0.75x and 32 more rpm for the Anchor :D
  3. catabolise

LOL because 1v1 is TR's Game

READ THIS:
    TR are an attacking faction designed to be good at attacking bases (TR starts as the strongest team but weak late game)
    VS are versatile at defending and attacking base's (VS are a strong team after late game /after BR 100)
    NC are orientated towards defending a base (NC are ok all though the game BR1-late game)

imagine there where 20 players a team at a base. As 20 There weapons as a whole would amount to fill a singular role

TR weapons are stronger to give them the edge in attacking there better for close/mid ranges
    VS and NC DPS's are closer/balanced

NC weapons are better for close/long range's. shotguns and drop off range's not good at all in mid-range fighting
    VS weapons are the best in mid range fighters!! not good in close against NC or TR but better then TR at long range.

range is considered a defending trait.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!