What do you think of the Mjolnir?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jake the Dog, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Problem Officer

Nope technically it's a coilgun, like the Gauss rifles. I don't think running ****tons of electric current though HEAT darts would be okay,
    which is how railguns propel conductive slugs to high velocities for long range, accuracy and kinetic power.
  2. Klypto

Unless there are weapon swaps it will never be practical on a tank.
  3. Jake the Dog

Oh well.
    If they swapped Mjolnir and and CL 85s jobs I think it would be perfect. It would be an AV shotgun, and the Mjol would be a burst fire AI, similar to the Marauder but with less explosive radius.
    • Up x 1
  4. Jake the Dog

Harassers maybe... But for the tanks... meh. With my playstyle, I've found that the vulcan is, in fact amazing. When I ask the people who run with me consistently they always ask for the vulcan, despite me having a maxed out halberd.

The prowler is fast and maneuverable and can dish out punishment fast. However, the vanguard is slow and cumbersome, she only barely makes up for it with her armor. While I can jump in the vulcan to finish off a sunderer or vehicle I can expect it to disintegrate pretty quick. However on the Mjol it took a LONG time 3-4 seconds (which is a long time).

On top of that the Mjol lacks the vulcans range. In open combat you can easily dish out punishment at 100-150m with the vulcan still. The Mjol cannot do that due to it requiring wonky firing angles and inaccuracy. hell, I liked the vulcan before they buffed it when it had the 60 rounds still XD
  5. Mezinov

I dislike it on aesthetic principles, and I don't like how the mechanic feels. I've not had a chance to use it in combat, but I will not use a platform if I do not like the feel of the weapon (on the inverse of that, I will use something ineffective if it feels nice).

So, to my point, just using the new Grinder model slapped onto the Halberd neck is offensive and immersion breaking. The weapon does not look good, it does not feel or sound satisfying to fire, and atleast in VR its behavior was underwhelming. To the counter of this, the Vulcan could literally fire marshmallows at the enemy and if it continued to sound and feel as it does - it would stay mounted to all my vehicles.

I am not certain I have a meaningful replacement. I would like to see that railgun model they featured re-purposed as the new model for the Enforcer. I think the Cannister is OK where it is now. The current Enforcer model can be chucked. It is a bumpy cone really - though it is an improvement over what it was (Halberd 2.0). I will attempt to avoid rambling and ranting about Planetside 1 and Planetisde 2 differences, as I normally do.

I would much rather see the NC get a new model weapon that dumps a ton of damage at once, and has a long reload. Perhaps make it so that it does the same damage as a Vulcan with Extended Mags in two firings, and that firing a shot, reloading, and firing again would take the same amount of time it would take a Vulcan to fire off a full extended mag.

Could fire recycled FX/Model Pheonix/Raven rockets in a large cluster, with random dispersion and heavy drop - basically like a Decimator Shotgun. The spread and drop would limit its range, but it would be feasibly usable in medium to close range. Like a Vulcan. Basically envisioning a CQC future Hwacha.
  6. axiom537

Agree, but we are talking about the Vanguard not the Prowler. As you noted, The Vanguard is slower and less agile then the Prowler, so the Vulcan is going to work better on the prowler frame, then the Mjolnir is going to work on the Vanguard. IMO, its just not a good weapon for the Vanguard. And it's not the Vanguards armor that makes up for being slow and cumbersome it is the shield and the shield only...and if it is on cool down it's game over...

The Mjolnir is nice and if you think you are going to slug it out up close it might work on the Vanguard, but I wouldn't that's just not an effective way to use a Vanguard. I would still say you would be so much more effective with the Enforcer or halberd, then the Mjolnir on the Vanguard, but on the Harasser the Mjolnir is very nice, especially when working together with a 2nd harasser.
  7. Jake the Dog

My point (I may not have clarified enough my fault) is that the vulcan has mid range capabilites as I believe the aphellion does as well (barely used it so far though so I may be wrong). The Mjol though is only good in one scenario however, and thats up close and it only marginally performs on par with the other 2 in that respect.
  8. Ronin Oni

Problem with railgun is NC already has a long range ESAV weapon....

Also, VS already had the OG Saron which was railgun like (slower velocity though...) and they removed it for both being 'OP' (wasn't... it was actually a nerfed Halberd w/o drop) and for being too similiar to halberd (this is true... but man I miss those epic lazors)
  9. Ronin Oni

Fair enough, but even if you tighten up CoF or w/e they need to do to mildly extend it's effective range, then it's STILL going to be a trash pick for the Vanguard....

It's just a bad platform for CQB AV.

It's a harasser weapon.
  10. Klypto

Not exactly what I had in mind. There just are too few situations that cutting back your range by a massive amount for some light damage increase on vehicles and less infantry power that it's just not worth puling the tank. If you could swap out the gun after you pulled it, then it would have some practical use.
    • Up x 1
  11. Flag

:/

At least the Aphelion works on the Mag platform.
  12. DjLanguste

Of course is it the worst of the 3 new weapons
    - Bad Damage
    - Very bad Damage against infantry
    - Such a high Bullet Drop
    - And inaccurate :(

Idk....if you wanna use it on the Harasser, you must be a ****** good Driver and your Gunner must be a perfect Marksman.
    Last Week i played about 3 hours with the first Guy and on a another Day 3 hours with a another Guy....
    Both were very accurate and thanks to my good drive-skills, we could kill many Magriders, Lightnings and other Harassers :D

But that's not an Option,a small Mistake and you're dead:rolleyes:

Damn DB just remake that "Boombox" and charge him with the Raven-Rockets:D:D:p
  13. axiom537

Gotcha...I suppose, but honestly on a slow moving, cumbersome vehicle even if it had a little more range, it still would fall behind the Halberd / Enforcer, because the increase in damage is so negligible, along with a loss of accuracy that it wouldn't justify swapping either of those weapons for a much more situational weapon, even if it was more effective up to a mid range.

It really comes down to the Vanguard and weapons like the Vulcan, Aphellion, Mjonir are just not going to be as successful on a vanguard as they would be on the Magrider and Prowler. Vehicles that are a bit faster and more agile which allow them to more easily get into a rear firing positions, to utilize that extra up close damage in the right spot. That's just not going to be as good an option for the vanguard and since it relies so heavily on its shield, rather then mobility and fights are going to come down to whether the shield is up or down, and not the secondary weapon and positioning as much.

So it'll always be better to have a more accurate longer ranger weapon, to deal with straffing magriders and prowlers at range, if anything gets in close its not the secondary weapon that is going to make the difference it will be the shield, pretty much how it is now...
  14. Jake the Dog

Changing loadout is something we've been asking for since beta, like lodestars or deployable engineer shields. I just assume they (the devs) hate those ideas.

Having those close range options is partly how I perform so well in a prowler, I like to use stealth and sneak up on tanks that rely on just LR AV and smoke em with the higher dps.
  15. Jake the Dog

I make my money in the close range generally speaking, I like a duel to the death between tanks or... just sneaking up behind them and annihilating them in the shortest time possible.

The vanguard doesn't need the shield to win though... I personally use the side armor for the ridiculous amount of extra EHP, turn your uparmored side to them and wipe em out. Sometimes I can take out two prowlers in a row with that (did that yesterday with HEAT too), have the shield protect you while you take out the first then the second rely on your armor. I don't have problems with the vanguards capabilities as a tank, my problem is that its close range secondary is sup-par compared to the other ones.

Ceteris Paribus, the Mjol is not as good as its counterparts and underperforms compared to the vulcan and (maybe not used it much yet) the aphelion.
  16. actionpark

I like it. I feel like its made for HEATH loadouts. That tiny extra dps is crucial when your not going with AP in melee.

Dont laugh but after that velocity-buff i've been trying HEATH again on the Vanguard.

Mjolnir lets me still win in melee.

Besides...when driving a Vanguard...you typically never die at long range...yeah you might not KILL but you dont DIE either.
    Same with mid-range...yeah sometimes you might not KILL but you dont DIE either.

Imo competent vanguards are only ever at real risk in extreme cqc and that is where the Mjolnir fits.
  17. Jake the Dog

Im winning against AP vulcan prowlers, with HEAT and enforcer in cqc. Need that aurax
  18. axiom537

Sure you can do close range engagements, but again the Vanguard is not the prowler. The Prowler is better at getting in close and its better fighting in close range, it's faster, its more agile, it has 2 shots on its main gun with a faster reload, it's just straight up a better then the Vanguard in a QCQ engagement, unless the Vanguards shield is up.

I disagree with you that the Vanguard doesn't need it's shield, because we have a record from a time when the shield was bugged and didn't work and the results showed the vanguard suffered tremendously. Anyone who has followed the debate about the Vanguards issues knows it is overly reliant on its shield, do not try and tell me otherwise.

No offense if you took on two prowlers "with heat as well", then they obviously were not fighting you. Regardless this sort of example proves nothing. I might take on and kill 3 or 4 Prowlers, 2 ESF a Liberator and a Galaxy, it doesn't prove anything other then I had a good run or I got lucky.

The Mjolnir may not be as good as it's counterparts, but as I have stated before it really doesn't matter. The Enforcer and Halberd will always be a better choice, because they put out the same amount of damage, even up close, while they have the added ability of dealing with range, they are overall more versatile weapons. You can buff the Mjolnir so it has a bit more range, but personally I'd never put it on a Vanguard, the enforcer and Halberd will in my eyes always be better choices. Unless you could swap out secondary weapons at a vehicle terminal, so I could pull it for a very specific situation, but then I would want to swap back out to enforcer or halberd.

I get it the Mjolnir doesn't quite have the range as the Vulcan and VEX, but on a Vanguard it really doesn't matter and it really doesn't matter on the harasser either, because it can get in close anyways.. The Vanguard is already a good CQC vehicle, because of its shield, the Mjolnir even with better mid range would not offer enough on the vanguard frame or even give the vanguard more power in CQC fights, so why equip it.
  19. Scr1nRusher

Its powerful.

Just needs to be used right.
  20. Meeka

Why do people who say this gun sucks also say, "The range sucks".... OF COURSE the range sucks, it's the NC alternative to the Vulcan. It's not designed for range, it's designed for up close brawling... just like the Vulcan. If you want range, you do Enforcer or Halberd. If you want in your face, you go Mjolner.