I have donated

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ConradHorse, Sep 19, 2015.

1. ConradHorse

I have donated and ... you know what? I encourage you to do the same ! :D Apart from these bugs and content we're waiting for long, PS2 is a great game... err an EPIC GAME! Devs deserve our appreciation it even if they screw up things at every update. But who wouldn't forgive the EPIC GAME makers. Come guys, let's show them our love. Make them feel better fixing those bugs they currently took on from Issue tracker (their recent activity there is quite high). Cheers and join Polish Star Forces on Cobalt!
    • Up x 6
  2. THUGGERNAUT

I reward success, not failure. And bug-riddled patches released three years after launch do not count as success.
    • Up x 4
  3. Yuki10

I will donate when investors replace everyone at DBG
    • Up x 1
  4. breeje

i support monthly en now and then a little extra if i want something
    but i do have to agree with the posts above only not so extreme
    i think DBG can do a little more for my support
    • Up x 1
  5. customer548

1993 :
    [IMG]

2012 :
    [IMG]
    • Up x 3
  6. Liewec123

i've been subbed for the most part of 2 years and have spent a small fortune on cosmetics and weapons :)
  7. Konstantinn

Already spent/donated more than any other game I've ever played (2.5 years in subs plus $500-1000 in Station/DBG cash since release). Props for somewhat keeping my interest all this time, but on the same note too many features that should have been in by now simply aren't in and aren't even talked about.

New continents??? Only got Hossin, and that was a long time ago.
    New Vehicles??? Not too bad here, they added Harasser/Valkyrie, still that's spread out pretty thin over 3 years....
    Resource Mechanic??? Literally non-existant.
    Continent Lattice? Nobody even mentions it anymore.
    Varied capture mechanics? Like LLU maybe? Not a word about it.

These are just things PS1 had. Dare I even speak of anything new innovative and exciting?

Game is in maintenance mode, they don't have resources to do anything big or exciting with it, and it's not my fault. I contributed financially more than most people in this game (again... more than any other game I've ever played), where'd that money go? I understand by itself, as in my singular contribution, is not a lot, but it's far more than can reasonably be expected from your average player. So either they wasted the money they made, or the very large majority of players never paid a dime over the last 3 years.

Either way it's too late now. I'd love to be proven wrong here, don't think it's happening though.
  8. WeRelic

I've revoked my membership until I see them actively listening to their community. I'll still spend a couple bucks here and there to get a gun, but thats about it.

This game really needed to be sub-based or a 1 time fee with the option of membership to get the funding it needed. The other side of that blade is that we may never have had as many players as we do even now with dwindling pops.
  9. Jubikus

They do listen to their community they just ignore the loud minority.
    • Up x 1
  10. WeRelic

That is exactly why we're hemorrhaging players and money. That "Loud Minority" consists of the people that are willing to actually act towards making the game better, the majority doesn't care as long as they get shiny new toys once in a while and their hand never gets cold from not being held.
  11. Jubikus

There was once a really loud post about Snipers being terrible for the game and should only have access to 4x scopes and lower and another saying snipers should have their own server. Im sure thees would be great for the game. The game is losing players because the game is aging people have played the game for what it has and have stopped. The staff doesnt have enough people to make enough new content to keep people interested. Most posts in this forum are either dumb nerf this nerf that buff this then most of the actual good idea posts and such that would improve the game dont consider the manpower they have and cant be considered because of such.
  12. OldMaster80

I've bought tons of cosmetics over the last 3 years. And I still will as I see content.
    • Up x 1
  13. WeRelic

I'm not saying the minority should be listened to for every post, but there are a lot of ideas that get posted repeatedly by different people that just never get put in despite being code only (not needing UI/Model elements) that would immensely help the game, and make it better for both new players and veterans.

Yes, the game is aging. I'll grant you that. Thing is, most F2P games aren't in maintenance mode within 3 years, and "We don't have enough staff to create content" is not an excuse when you have a system like PlayerStudio in place. Had they made that non-profit and built it directly into the game, there would be endless streams of generated content. Since crowdsourcing has become such a viable option for content creation, I refuse to take that excuse from any company except maybe a lone developer (Even though there are several who were able to do this by themselves)

Content is not as expensive to create as everyone thinks, it's just that companies forget that they have legions of dedicated players that would love to create things for the game, but don't want to be bothered with filling out tax forms to do so. Give them the tools, and they'll do the work.
  14. Jubikus

Ill give you that crowd sourcing is a viable option in this day and age. On the other hand the new content creation not being as expensive as everyone thinks honelstly most people think its cheaper than it actually is for example ill give you this http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/2...-each-to-create-heres-why-squigly-is-cheaper/
    That is the cost breakdown to make a skullgirls character tho its not the same thing it gives you a general idea of how much it costs to simply pay the developers.
  15. Verviedi

16. WeRelic

Pulled from that link:
    • $48,000: Staff Salaries – 8 people for 10 weeks - Could be cut down to 2-3 people who analyze and approve generated content, but I'll give you this one because there have to be some people in-house that approve/reject the submissions.
    • $30,000: Animation and Clean-up Contracting - I want to rule this out because ideally animation could also be done by players, but I won't since the current system only allows for static models, so we'll keep it in to humor your point.
    • $4,000: Voice recording - You've got me here, although in PS2 specifically, this is a moot point unless a model comes with a voice pack.
    • $2,000: Hit-box Contracting Could be done automatically via software, or by player's themselves after approval by a dev/mod, although I'm willing to concede for the same reason as
    • $5,000: Audio Implementation Contracting This should be nothing more than adding a (few) soundfile(s) to a database which would be modified by the already implemented audio system. If that costs 5k, I'm in the wrong business. They don't record and render all the possible Doppler effects, so I find it hard to believe they'd do that here.
    • $20,000: QA Testing - Got me here. Can't skimp on quality.
    • $10,000: 1st Party Certification No certifications needed other than a possible waiver of content rights/payment.
    • $10,500: IndieGoGo and Payment Processing Fees Not needed in a player-based system. No funding beyond initial development of the system and tools needed to generate content, which could admittedly be expensive.
    • $20,500: Manufacturing and Shipping Physical Rewards We're talking about a digital product, so cut that in half, and digital delivery cuts it down to the salary of the guy who manages the build process.
    A lot of that cost comes from publishing and distribution which would almost be entirely avoided in an automated, builtin, player-based system.

I'm not arguing that it's cheap, easy or free to create things, I wouldn't belittle content creators like that, just that it doesn't have to be as expensive as people make it out to be.

In my time as a gamer, I've built several mods including 2 total conversions, and reskinned/remodeled a bunch of in-game items in other games. I've never been paid a cent, and that's ok with me because I was contributing to a game I loved. I just can't abide by the "Oh it's too expensive" excuse from a 3 year old game when I'm still playing games from the 90's that have features that are considered too expensive almost 20 years later, and are still regularly getting new features and changes that the community created.

Thats why I revoked my membership, and thats why I feel they're largely ignoring their community.

You're right though, the devs need to be paid. I won't deny that. It's just irritating to see such a resource go to waste because every little thing needs to be monetized.
    • Up x 1
  17. The Rogue Wolf

Which community should they listen to? The one that wants snipers removed, or the one that thinks all sniper rifles should be one-shot kills anywhere? The one that wants air nerfed, or the one that thinks only air should counter air? The one that wants tanks to be more vulnerable to infantry, or the one that thinks tanks should never have to fear infantry?

Or are you one of those people who, when you say "they should listen to the community", means "they should listen to me"?
    • Up x 2
  18. Meeka

The golden rule of *any* software engineer: Never listen to your user base.
    Pretend you do, but don't, it leads to disaster. Use their input to fix bugs, but never to balance or implement new features.
  19. WeRelic

FTFY.
    Good engineers listen well, but are able to separate good ideas from bad.

You have to listen to the trends, not individual posts. You're right though, if you listened to every single idea posted on a whim you'd go crazy.

Nope, I don't care if they listen to me. Obviously I would like them to, but I'm just one voice in a sea of voices that go unheard, I'm not arrogant enough to think differently.
  20. customer548

They are just working on Playstation PS2, and on a Xbox version. It's a small staff.
    We're waiting for things to happen on PC...but they are just working on something else. We can now wait for ages for things to happen.
    All went wrong from the 1rst minute when they started to talk about Playstation stuff then Xbox.
    • Up x 1