This is utter BS.... Gatekeeper Vs AP-rounds.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dreez, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Dreez

Vanguard AP-projectiles - 275 Meters per second.

Gatekeeper projectiles - 500 Meters per second.

A Tankround should travel faster then grenaderounds, simple as that. You've gone and FKd it up !.

This video shows how you can actually see the projectiles coming from the tank and avoid them,
    while the projectiles from the Gatekeeper hits almost instantly.
    At 1 minute mark, Harasser w/ Gatekeeper Vs 2 tanks
    at long range...

Maybe you should have the gamename to Harasserside 2 instead..
    • Up x 6
  2. OldMaster80

Ok but Planetside 2 is not exactly about that kind of realism.

At any way... many videos prove the Gatekeeper is actually too effective. I am TR, don't play other factions and I admitt yes, it should be toned down.
    Just to 100% clear: TR was in serious need for a valid option for long range AV combat. But there is no reason why a weapon should be THAT good.
    • Up x 4
  3. Shatteredstar

Swap gatekeeper and fractures, drop velocity down by 75 or 100 and adjust damage profiles accordingly. Boom problems solved.
  4. FateJH

Well, if you want to get technical, an Enforcer fires 300m/s ammunition (compared to the Titan AP's 275m/s) and the Saron clocks in at 300m/s (compared to the VPC's 225m/s). The Halberd rockets fly just as fast as Titan AP shells.
  5. ColonelChingles

Especially because tank AP rounds are kinetic energy penetrators, which usually rely on high velocities to pierce tank armour.

Explosive rockets, like what the Gatekeeper uses, don't have to travel that quickly because they rely on chemical explosives, not kinetic energy, to do damage.

Tank shell velocity in PS2 needs to be significantly buffed... at least to the level of sniper rifles.
    • Up x 3
  6. xSalt

Actually, your the one that's gone and ****** it up. The gatekeeper fires ROCKETS, not grenades. The NC's Mjolnir is the new grenade launcher. And rockets are quite capable of high velocity, after all, it is with rockets that we reach "escape velocity" and break free of the earths gravitational pull to launch satellites, etc.

Like for real though, in the description of the weapon it says nothing, and behaves in no way to suggest that it fires grenades.
    • Up x 2
  7. Pikachu

Gatekeeper shoots red darts high speed like fracture. Btw I wonder if the devs would give the railcannon higher velocity. Imagine the outrage if velocity weapon nr1 was not faster than gatekeeper.
  8. ColonelChingles

Technically he might be correct.

Rockets are generally the form of propulsion.
    Grenades (or warheads) are the boomy part.

Hence things like "rocket propelled grenades", which are both rockets and grenades.
    • Up x 2
  9. CMDante

Thread 100.
    • Up x 2
  10. Diilicious

these new guns have pretty much pissed all over tank combat, especially the lightning tank.
  11. xSalt

Anti tank rifle rounds are kinetic energy penetrators yes, this is how a real world "archer" round would function, or other anti tank rifle. However, HEAT rounds operate off a completely different principle. Once they make impact, an explosion within the warhead drives super heated metal forward using the "munroe effect". Effectively penetrating armor. However, the initial velocity of the shell is really only to get it to the target with enough impact to detonate. And yes, the same concept is used in HEAT shoulder mounted rockets and grenades such as the world war 2 panzerfaust. Old school AP rounds operated off the principle of driving a denser wedge of metal through a less dense piece of armor. This required higher velocity's due to the additional mass of the tungsten cores. This created problems though, because at to great of a velocity even the densest materials disintegrate on impact. Which lead to the development of discarding sabots and capped AP and APHE rounds.

But long story short, modern tank round velocity is not as high as you might assume. It's really all about the science inside the shell, and not how fast the shell is going when it hits, in most cases.

That being said, planetside 2 weapon velocities should not really be compared to real world weapon velocities. At least in my experience. And there is no way a high power sniper rifle should travel at the same speed as a tank shell, aerodynamics aside, that just doesn't make sense.
  12. Jake the Dog

I can piss faster than these tank rounds...
  13. xSalt

I'll give you that, but if that's case, he's comparing tank shells, otherwise known as grenades; with rockets, otherwise known as grenades.
  14. Dfog

The NS Commissioner, a pistol, has a muzzle velocity of 450 m/s. OP is dumb, thread is dumb.
  15. FateJH

Welcome to every other Ground vehicle in the game. Lightnings were exceptionally more marginalized that people are willing to believe. Medium Battle Tanks beat them in firepower and armor, and Harassers have long since beat them in speedacceleration and maneuverability. (The G1 AV secondaries were already pretty powerful against Lightnings anyway.) Even Sunderers have better armor.
    • Up x 2
  16. ColonelChingles

But we're talking about AP rounds here... and in PS2 AP rounds look like:

[IMG]

Which are most definitely KEPs. And KEPs should move very quickly.

Sure a PS2 tank shell shouldn't travel as quickly as IRL tank shells due to things like range compression, but tank shells should be range compressed by the same factor as infantry weapons.

As for sniper rifles versus tank shells, I'm being a bit generous. Of course tank shells should travel faster than sniper rifle rounds, but that might be a bit unfair. :p Just bump up tank shell velocity to sniper rifle velocity and I'll be content.

Not really. AP KEPs aren't grenades because they contain little to no explosive material. They operate on a completely different basis than an explosive grenade.
  17. SuperTrooperWaterloo

1. What you actually see are not AP rounds, those are Halberd shots most of the time. A good examply why TR needed a better option than Halberd for longrange.
    2. Those opponents hit nothing and stand in the open field.
    3. All kills ive seen couldve been done with the Saron or a solo Raven MAX or a Raven MAX inside a harasser in the same time and with the same accuracy without getting more in danger than that TR harasser in the video.

GK is fine.

Its just you who isnt familiar with a long range AV answer from TR.
    Its still have a bad feeling to fight against Ravens and Vortex with the GK because they have burst dmg and need a visual contact to the target for like less than a second to shoot. Not much time to shoot them and nothing that kills them with such low dmg that needs constant fire, but hey, at least we can shoot back now and actually hit them instead of being free certs.
    • Up x 1
  18. Kcalehc

Um, no. Escape velocity is the velocity needed to escape, assuming no extra force is applied, from the earths gravitational field. A rocket never gets remotely close to escape velocity, as it applies a continuous force to lift the pay load up. While your thought process is in the right direction, you're way off on that detail.
  19. xSalt

Where did you get that picture? How do you know that's what planetside 2 AP rounds look like? I'm not saying it's not. But it's not hard to pull a picture off the internet. In my game, the little picture I see with my prowlers AP cannon looks much more like a modern day APCHE and not a sabot round like the picture you've posted.

And the term grenade originally meant small explosive shell. Which depending on how you want to look at it, could pertain to a bullet, or any other object containing explosives in an enclosed environment. It wasn't until, later that began differentiating between shells, mortars, grenades, rockets, etc. but besides that, as far as the OP is concerned, the gatekeeper does not fire grenades.
  20. xSalt

We use rockets to propel them, with continuous force, to the point of "escape velocity." the earths gravitational force extends well beyond our atmosphere. Once said object reaches escape velocity, we stop propelling it. Look at the recent Pluto deep space mission. That craft achieved escape velocity to break free of the earth, and then again either maintained or achieved when it was slingshot past Jupiter.

Satellites were the wrong metaphor as they don't actually escape earths gravity. But rocket propulsion has been, and will be used again to achieve escape velocity.

You are slightly wrong on your definition. Escape velocity is the speed at which an objects kinetic energy, and gravitational potential energy are equal to zero. At that speed, said object will move away from the gravitational body, forever, without ADDITIONAL force applied. Force can however be applied in the attempt to accelerate an object to its speed necessary for escape velocity. Once it has reached escape velocity there is no further need for acceleration unless deceleration occurs for some reason.
    • Up x 1