Planetside 2 2.0 news?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CMDante, Sep 15, 2015.

1. CMDante

Just like the title says. Has anyone heard anything more about the update that's supposed to be coming this month? I'm very highly interested in it.
  2. OldMaster80

I think the 2015 update thread has been posted just because everyone kept asking on Reddit. Once Shaql datamined some content devs couldn't hide anymore.
    But it's realistic to think we won't see anything until the end of the year.

Then for the rest nothing new communication is bad as usual, none has a clue about what's going to happen. Is it normal the we have to cry for weeks on an external website to get an update about what's in the pipeline?
  3. FieldMarshall

2.0 was Smeds promise/project. And he doesent work there anymore.
    I think there was a reddit post about it somewhere that basically said:
    "We didnt promise anything, it was Smed. You are hyping yourself up over nothing" or something like that.

Thats not to say they havent got something planned though.
  4. CMDante

Well that's pretty disappointing.
  5. Alan Kalane

Basically the 2015 Update is Planetside 2 2.0. You get the ants, more focus on the strategic layer and game mechanics etc. Sure, the ANTs are not exactly like everyone expected and some things are missing but other than than I think we should be greatful for what we've got ( I didn't expect this to happen at all, looked like an empty promise )
  6. CMDante

That's fair, but I'd rather see the game taking leaps and bounds rather than just taking whatever meager updates we're given.
  7. gigastar

Last time theese devs tried 'leaps and bounds' it more or less ended up being 'trips and falls'.

That and quality content, like quality food, simply cant be rushed.
  8. Yuki10

It's almost ready, they need to put in a few more bugs before release.
    • Up x 5
  9. WTSherman

The name is being changed to Planetside 2.22: You Can (Not) Log In. :p
    • Up x 2
  10. CorporationUSA

I hope they realize how a proper re-release could improve the lifespan of the game. If they're just going to throw ANTs into a normal update without doing any extra advertising on Steam, they may as well not even waste their time.

Plus this game is full of ridiculous bugs. Best to have the stuff fixed in 2.0
  11. Obscura

There's been some word about them working on a modified version of the current engine to boost performance even more and allow for fundamental changes like smedley promised with planetside 2.0.
  12. HappyStuffin

So funny :)

And sadly, but true, I actually believe you more than I believe anything the devs say they will do.
  13. Armcross

I like to hear the full story.
  14. FigM

This game is still based on DirectX 9, which is outdated technology that can't properly take advantage of new graphics card capabilities and also results in more CPU load due to poor multithreading support.

Unless people are still using Windows XP, there's no need for DirectX9

Of course, changing engine from DX9 to DX11 would be major work, with almost complete re-write. But it's a necessary job or this game just gets too old