Gatekeeper 2 weeks later

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by 000AmidimA000, Sep 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwornJupiter

There are only several scenarios in which the GK shines because of the weapon mechanics:
    - Target is in the open = no cover
    - Target is isolated without friendly support
    - GK has the high ground

Really, ANY OTHER SCENARIO and the GK does not come out on top
    • Up x 2
  2. Celeris

You've pretty much just described almost every single armour fighting location on Amerish, Esamir and Indar. That pretty much leaves Hossin as the only continent where the GK doesn't routinely come out on top. Balanced? Not even close.
    • Up x 1
  3. SW0V

I think your bias is showing.
    If 'every armor fighting location on esmair/amerish/indar' has a highground, then by definition you only have the high ground 50% of the time. ie, by definition the gatekeeper only has the upper hand a maximum of 50% of the time on those continents and pretty much 0% of the time on Hossin.

Throw in some cover between the low ground and high ground, and the gatekeeper now has the advantage 35% of the time. If your armor column has rep sundies, the gatekeeper now has the upper hand 20% of the time because a Saron/Enforcer can burst targets down much faster than a gatekeeper meaning the repair sundies aren't as effective against fighting VS/NC as they are when fighting TR.
    • Up x 2
  4. Celeris

What does elevation have to do with anything? The issue at hand is range. Almost all fights on the continents I have listed aren't constrained by short range. There are places around almost every base where there is opportunity for something that can shoot from render range (gatekeepers only) to shoot from render range.
  5. SW0V

You should go into politics. You have a knack for purposely inflating what others said to fit your own narrative. You're also really good at ignoring evidence.

I could say the same stupid **** along the lines of: "gotta love those 200 damage sniper rifles *cough TRAP*, herp derp" but I'm not a slack jawed idiot.

The point was if you use cover or flank to get into CQC with a sniper your carbine is going to win. But of course you don't want to hear it because you're just a baby with a superiority complex.
    • Up x 1
  6. xMaxdamage

What about we nerf GK into the Ground but give fracture and striker same range as vortexes and lancer? Srlsly, as a TR I would love this trade :V
  7. SW0V

What elevation has to do with it is that if you have the low ground as a gatekeeper harasser, you don't output enough burst damage to kill anything before it uses a ridge for cover.
  8. CJLogan

Sometimes I think that people who only play a single faction should not be given the right to whine about any weapon being unbalanced.

In this particular instance, NC hasn't got a right to complain when those SCREE SCREEE things are even worse than the Gatekeeper. VS even more so, since we've got lancers AND an upgraded Vulcan in Aphelion (trust me, I fight with my faction members on regular basis over this).

Stop nerfing things, play the game and git gud, period.
  9. Haquim

Strange, all he says reminds me or Ravens, Lancers, Vortex, and partly the Phoenix, although that one got different advantages that make it annoying to go up against.
    It becomes even more strange when you realize all this stuff has been in the game since forever and is easily outclassing TR counterparts or has done so for most of the time - despite NC/VS (with the exception of Ravens) not really appreaciating and using them.

And the new VS/NC weapons are performing over TR variants (not much, mind you), while the TR GK is in the middle of Saron and Enforcer, with the exception of aircraft kills, where it is performing 100% above.

It is... kinda becoming hard to take this seriously.
    TR can fight back with a weapon performing well inside the enemy equivalents performance parameters. Oh noes!
    Don't you know that the TR traits is "underperforming" and "horizontal recoil"?

Since you don't care for facts and just want to live(play) your superiority complex there is only one thing left that I can do to at least relieve my own frustration.
    I think the english would put it like this:
    Excuse my french, but please leave this place of (sometimes) serious and decent discussion and go fornicate with a meatgrinder.

All in all, considering DGB/SOEs history, they have done an admirable job with balancing the new weapons imo.
  10. xSalt

As a TR harasser driver and gunner. I would still rather have a halbard over a gatekeeper for ranged combat just because the halbard can actually kill infantry. Contrary to popula belief, the gatekeeper is absolutely horrid against infantry, sucks in cqc, and is boring as **** to drive for.
  11. Shaengar

The question with the Gatekeeper is: Do we really want a weapon that encourages a playstyle that I though was gone since the old PPA days? Namely sitting miles away from a battle, shooting at extreme distances where the risk for oneself is minimal and once a thread gets close back off because the weapon does not do enough damage for a 1v1.

The Problem with the Gatekeeper does not lie in its effectiveness which seems about right stat-wise. Its the playstyle that comes with it.
    Sure I can mostly drive to cover when I am being plinked at by the Gatekeeper. I can repair and drive out again only to retreat a few seconds later.
    The Gatekeeper user will not get a kill that way and this situation will not be covered by any stats but it is surely annoying as hell, makes the gameplay experience worse and creates frustration towards this weapon.
    From what I hear using the Gatekeeper is not really fun either, because its extremely easy to use and as xSalt just said driving for a Gatekeeper Harasser must be boring as hell (which is why we see so many 1/3 Gatekeeper Harassers).

Maybe it would be better to change this weapon in a way that it cannot be used at extreme ranges anymore but more effectively at ranges where for example the Enforcer is useful. That would of course come with a damage-buff to match the levels of Enforcer and Saron.

It would probably be more fun to anyone safe for those statpadders that abuse every mechanic in the game to get an advantage. The TR gunner would need to take more risks and VS and NC would finally have more chances to retaliate.
    • Up x 1
  12. SW0V

I don't think this is a problem. If you don't like the playstyle, you can use something else. It's exactly the same as those NC players that just spam Pheonix through their spawn room. Low risk low reward playstyle. Might be boring, but it's effective when massed. Similar to lancer squads.

Personally, I enjoy 'harassing' armor columns with my GK harasser. It changes the pace of the game and often creates breathing room for infantry during a not-so-uncommon spawn room vehicle camp. Just spawn a gatekeeper at the next base, flank to some high ground or park behind some cover with your turret exposed and plink away until they move along.

I wouldn't make the comparison to the PPA because not only could that perform at extreme ranges, but it also hit its targets like a truck and infantry generally don't have the weapons or the health to close distance save Lancers.
  13. SwornJupiter

Yo
    Jesus christ... You're just wrong dude
    Getting hit from render range is NOT A PROBLEM SPECIFIC TO THE GATEKEEPER.
    Guess what?
    Ravens have this problem.
    Lancers have this problem.
    Vortexes have this problem.
    AV MANA turrets have this problem.

When you remove your veil of faction bias you will see that the ES AV weapons are balanced. VS/NC gpt a competitive cqc option and TR got a competitive long range AV option.

SWOV provided statistics to show that the gatekeeper is nowhere near as good as people claim it to be. Your argument about the gatekeeper being overpowered was literally crushed in a single reply...
    • Up x 2
  14. FocusLight

Going to have to cut you off right here.

You see, we have had a weapon since the launch of the game that does this, plus it works well in CQB thanks to mag-dumping:

The Saron.

The GK does the same thing the Saron does, only, it is more sustainable over long range and has no good benefit up close. VS still has the most versatile long-range AV secondary.
    • Up x 1
  15. Collin

What else is there to say. I mean the VS have the first time the REAL danger facing a long range TR weapon and a world is about to end.

[IMG]
  16. Jbn0s0rus

Seriously, since GK release, I have not even seen it used once in a manner that could not be mimicked by Enforcer/Sauron. You just can't handle the fact that TR is now a threat passed 50 meters...
    • Up x 2
  17. Scorpion97

that's weird,you should really stop comparing the GK with other ESRLs and max weapons,the GK with a high mobile vehicle like the harraser is as annoying as a PPA when it comes to hill fights.two harrasers can simply be 350 metres from infantry fights just to spam this thing,hell,I got sick from how solid it is at breaking infantry fights,all the blames to its perfect accuracy

and maybe if we looked at the weapon's KPU,KPH and average kills.we might see how different the data is,stormsinger showed them and it proved that the GK requires attention
  18. Problem Officer

Raven's maximum range is around 343 meters, where they explode.
    Tested just now with rangefinder implant and tweaked settings for visibility.
    • Up x 1
  19. Scorpion97

• Up x 2
  20. Shaengar

While you are certainly right in some ways, I think that the Gatekeeper does the annoying extreme long range fighting quite a bit better than the Saron, just because it has 500 m/s velocity, no COF and no COF-bloom on top of the no bullet drop that the saron has.

I don't know if the solution to balance a boring and frustration creating playstyle between factions is to give another faction the opportunity for the same playstyle. Probably not.

Btw: I am really sympathetic with you TR guys and have absolutely no problem with you finally getting a long-range AV secondary. I am just stating my view on the weapon without any faction bias. And I am thinking that the Gatekeeper could use some changes that wouldn't hurt its effectiveness but give it another role than sitting on a distant Hill with it.

Wut? I have.
    • Up x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.