Gatekeeper 2 weeks later

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by 000AmidimA000, Sep 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 000AmidimA000

Ok, so the gatekeeper has been here for 2 weeks. It's been tested, it's been used, we've fullfiled that "Wait a bit and let's see what happens" time period. So can we tune it down some now? I know this is like the millionth post on the subject, but I think the amount of feedback that's been given all ready is a good indicator of a problem.

Almost every single TR tank or harasser I get killed by has a Gatekeeper attached. It's not a passing fad, it's not a new weapon that'll peter in usage, it's become their go to #1. If it's not a gatekeeper, it's the Vulcan (another gun that's problematic to game play). You know what it's not though? It's not a halberd. All factions can use a halberd... but why would the TR use one now that they have the point and click rocket machine gun, and an actual machine gun? As an NC player, my long range option is a choice between the halberd (which no TR players use anymore because their stuff is much, much better), or the enforcer (a weapon so similiar to the Halberd in function, usage, and play style that many of the youtube videos I watched when deciding said the decision was nominal). As an NC player, my long range AV game boils down to the halberd, or the slightly faster but slightly less damage halberd.

But it gets better! My CQC game boils down to the Halberd, the slightly faster but slightly less damage halberd, or the new Mjolnir. But guess what... the Mjolnir is... and let's face it... a POS. It's like a slightly better bulldog, and all factions can use the bulldog, but you never see them on top of a harasser.

Let's sum this all up some. The NC are stuck with the slightly better version of the gun everybody gets, and the new gun is a slightly better version of the gun everybody gets, but nobody uses on Harassers or MBTs. Great. While at the same time, the TR get a souped-up basilisk and a new weapon that has no comparison because it's a rocket machine gun, point and click device with no damage drop off.

In conclusion, the gatekeeper has no comparison. It's in a class of its own, and it's horrible to play against. We've seen it now for 2 weeks, and in that time it's only found more usage, and not less. I don't suggest that it gets nerfed in to the ground. I just suggest that it gets toned down a bit. Maybe just the simple addition of some bullet drop would do, so that way it stays on par with the halberd and the enforcer.
    • Up x 10
  2. SwornJupiter

What is your proposal?
    Edit: nvm Im stupid
    • Up x 1
  3. SwornJupiter

Bullet drop + lower the velocity down to 300m/s ought to do it
    • Up x 3
  4. TheMish

Why do you think?

The TR FINALLY after ***YEARS*** have a long range anti-armor weapon to put on their vehicles.

Us players who main TR were ecstatic when we got the Gate Keeper, because for the first time we could go head to head against Magriders, and Vanguards from a distance.
    • Up x 4
  5. Ransurian

If the Gatekeeper is nerfed, the Halberd is, once again, going to be the default weapon of choice for general-purpose use. Giving it projectile drop be a sledgehammer of a nerf to its long-range AV potential unless it's very minimal, and that's on top of the fact that it's already inferior for close / mid-range engagements. It's definitely a powerful weapon, but then so is the new VS vulcan and the NC boombox, both of which are nasty at close range.

As far as a projectile speed nerf, screw that. It's already hilariously difficult to consistently land shots on strafing Magriders 200+ meters away while they effortlessly chip away at your stationary tank with *their* ESAV with no projectile drop and perfect accuracy, the Saron. The Gatekeeper's projectile velocity serves to even things out a bit. It's rather unfair that the VS want to keep their Saron, which has perfect accuracy against stationary targets (like lockdown Prowlers) while simultaneously wanting a vicious nerf to a weapon that gives them a taste of their own medicine.

Really, I find it rather curious that certain VS players can't even deal with an ESAV secondary while, in fact, they still have the advantage in long-range engagements due to the fact that they can use both their ESAV and their main gun reliably against a stationary Prowler. The Gatekeeper doesn't magically turn the tables -- the Magrider is still going to beat a Prowler at range. The amount of skill required to land shots on a strafing Magrider with the p2-120 AP is freaking absurd.
    • Up x 4
  6. FocusLight

So the Enforcer is just a lesser version of the Halberd?

Congrats, at you had *options*.

TR 2 weeks ago had Halberd - not a weaker version, JUST HALBERDS - or the Vulcan.

The Vulcan is only "problematic" (you SJ-Wretch) because it synergizes well with the Harasser - a high-rish high-reward on a vehicle that works in the same manner.

Now TR has an option. Now, after all these years, you can have a TR gun on a TR vehicle and hit something outside of 50 meters with some reliability.

It's been two weeks, and NC and VS are still crying that TR can't be out-sniped anymore.

Well keep crying. Even if the GK get nerfed it will still be the nr.1 AV option for TR on vehicles from now on. Because unless you specifically want the Vulcan for some reason, the GK will be the TR flavor that work the best universally. The only difference will be that it will take a little longer to kill you than it does now.
    • Up x 2
  7. SW0V

I'm so sick of these 'nerf the gatekeeper' posts.

Everyone wants to nerf its ability to apply damage at range. Well guess what, if it can't apply damage at range it will be a 'good for nothing' weapon like fractures due to its non-existent burst damage. If you want to win against a gatekeeper, you have to get close to it. It's really that simple!

Also, there is absolutely no evidence in the stats that it's performing any better than any of the other long range ES AV weapons (below).

MBT
    [IMG]

Harasser
    [IMG]

Also, I find it laughable that you claim the Mjolnir is under performing (below).

MBT
    [IMG]

Harasser
    [IMG]

I also find it laughable that you're complaining about the NC weapons being too similar to weapons that are available to all other factions when the TR have had a Fury clone (that can't pierce armor) since release.
    • Up x 12
  8. SwornJupiter

Hey
    Hey mate, how do you upload pictures to forums? I was having some trouble earlier. Sexy graphs btw
  9. Ransurian

Thank God for reasonable people. Hoping and praying DBG prioritizes data over hyperbolic anecdotes and decides to leave the Gatekeeper as-is. If the forum ragers have their way, we'll be seeing a sledgehammer of a nerf followed by months of tweaks, ultimately without seeing any proper changes. We'll be given the Striker treatment. It'll be just one more flip of the middle finger for TR while VS and NC insist that everything is fine.
    • Up x 6
  10. Celeris

Mate, until you've gone against the gatekeeper in it's current state and been peppered with near 100% accuracy from EXTREME range, you won't understand that your argument of "You just need to get close" would be as laughable to yourself as it is to everyone else.

It's no fun to go against this weapon that takes no skill to use, it's no fun to try and cross any open area with a ridge line within render range that invariably has a harasser or two camped on it that will pepper your tank without you having the slightest opportunity to retaliate, because unlike the gatekeeper user, you can't accurately and without effort return fire at someone beyond 200m like he/she can.

I don't give a **** if whatever stats you've cherry picked to show the GK isn't broken. It's simply a poorly designed weapon, for the user who has no challenge to use it well, my grandmother could use the weapon to near full effect and she's dead, and the people going up against it just find it aggravating.

It's quite simple the weapon needs to be made FAR less effective at the extreme ranges it is effective at, anyone defending a position counter to this is either biased and doesn't want their hilltop camping, cert farming harasser tool taken away from them, or they are mildly mentally handicapped. it's that simple.
    • Up x 5
  11. SW0V

You use BBCode. For images you place the image URL between [*img] and [*/img] without the asterisks (they're just there so that the forum doesn't recognise the word 'and' between them as an image URL).
    • Up x 2
  12. Movoza

I was playing against it again and felt the same. It is accurate long distance that puts down a lot of damage. I suddenly got sniped from behind from a hilltop yesterday. It was such distance that I only thought possible for maybe the anchor prowler and then very inaccurate.

Still. Checking its stats? It isn't over performing. Nothing points at OP but a feeling that it's use is still too unskilled. But we don't balance on feelings. Although I think it a bad design choice to do all these new ES secondary / Harasser weapons, the thing is at the moment balanced.
  13. SW0V

After talking with someone from my outfit because they were convinced that the GK was OP, I played VS for a while. I never felt like I died to the gatekeeper when I shouldn't have. In fact, for the 8 hours I was playing in a 1/2 Saron Harasser I only died to it once and that was when I was north of the Palisade in that big open desert area and 3 harassers + 1 tank all using GK came over the crest when it was just me... and then it didn't matter what weapons they had, I would have died anyway.

At range I could easily find cover to repair and in CQC I destroyed them 1v1.... so... it's not laughable, it's just knowing the game and how to deal with threats.

This is what your argument sounds like to a sane person:
    "I was trying to out-snipe a sniper with my carbine and I lost... nerf the sniper please."

Also, lol at your "I don't care about stats, I only care about my emotional knee-jerk reaction" reply.
    • Up x 4
  14. OldMaster80

I still don't get why Ravens are ok but the Gatekeeper is OP...
    • Up x 4
  15. SW0V

I made a thread not too long ago about the Striker being the highest skill floor weapon in the game. In that post I discussed the different types of skill in the game.

If you got sniped by a gatekeeper that penetrated your front line and got behind you... that's not unskilled. That's skilled play. It's not a weapon that requires aiming skill, it's a weapon that requires positioning skill. It's similar to the difference between LAs and HAs. LA's require positioning skill, HAs require aiming skill.
    • Up x 1
  16. SW0V

Ravens are hard-limited to 300m I believe.... might be a little more or a little less, but the raven projectile evaporates after a certain distance.
    • Up x 1
  17. Benton582

I ramble how I feel, and if you already played against it, aka on another faction, skip to summary.

Rambling:
    For god sake, all you TR just look at damn graphs, LOOK AT THE DAMN RANGE. YOU ARE F**KING FIRING FROM 500-750 METERS. Anti tank? WELL, CAN THE VANGUARD hit as Far as what you got!?? I literally witnessed 5 gatekeepers sniping MAXes and infantry from the north hill top of Rashnu Bio Lab to the platform, and guess what, the moment I plop down AV, IT'S DEAD. And no wait, I already see Prowlers from 500-750 meters firing double the damage, making it even worse! OH JOY. Quit looking at Statistics and look at first hand info. PLAY against it, and imagine how much of a pain in the a$$ for other players this is.

Summary: Range is too difficult to play against, range is insane, and with MBT guns, it's way too OP. Moment a Vanguard goes out to open, dead. And hard for noobies to play against, as well as too far for most layers to notice in time. BTW, 300 meters? Kinda doubt it.
    • Up x 2
  18. Celeris

So, the gatekeeper is the sniper rifle and the carbine is other empire specific long range AV and AP mbt/lightning primary guns? You get it! You finally have all the pieces to solve the puzzle as to why the gatekeeper is broken as ****, you get a sticker buddy.

edit : Gotta love those full auto, 30 round magazine, no drop sniper rifles eh? You pretty much picked the worst analogy possible to argue your point, in fact it argues everyone elses point perfectly, thank you for that.
  19. Movoza

Although in general I agree that positioning is a very important skill, I can't agree in this case. It was on Amerish and they had an unconnected latice base far up in the mountains, besides the fact they could simply have driven around us at this base. We where boxed in and started to push out. While it takes some skill to recognise the opportunity, the rest is not. It takes hardly any skill to shell with a high speed, barely drop, barely COF at targets who can barely move. It is like saying that a sniper killing a bunch of infantry that is boxed in and can hardly move is skilled.

But regardless of this scenario, I think that the GK still has to shine. Too often I see 1/3 Harassers and even 1/2 prowlers where only the GK seat is taken. The moment the proper use has been well established and people aren't pulling it for the power novelty anymore, that is the moment we should check the stats again to see if it is op. Right now it is simply still too early.
  20. SwornJupiter

Same thing could be said for... every other weapon in the game.
    Lancers and Vortexes look like s*** on paper, but we all know that's far from the truth.
    Ravens look like trash on paper, and we all know that couldnt be further from the truth.

Gatekeeper has one and only one playstyle: long range AV weapon. Let it behave like a long range AV weapon.

Let TR have their toy and stop whining. Seriously, they get one conpetitive weapon and Forum side is already up in flames.
    • Up x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.