Stop complaining that the gatekeeper is too good at range

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ALN_Isolator, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ALN_Isolator

Seriously. Stop it. Accept the fact that the TR can be more than 20m away from you and still deal decent damage. I haven't seen any "OMG NERF BOOMBOX TOO OP ON GODMODE SHIELD VANGUARD!!!1!1!!!" threads yet and very minimal aphelion threads since the guns went live. Considering that most of the people complaining about it have Vanu avatars I am severely disappointed in those who think that the gun (doing lower damage than the vulcan on a harasser and 3 points higher on the MBT version) is some kind of threat to Vanu master race.

Stop it. Grow up. Let the TR enjoy their new toy the same way you're enjoying yours.
    • Up x 6
  2. Foxirus

Personally I feel its velocity needs to be dropped a bit. Currently its making harrassers completely untouchable 800-1000m out because its accuracy is basically perfect.

If they drop the velocity to maybe 400 meters per second, I feel that would make it just a tad harder to land all those consecutive hits at long ranges. Not even the Enforcer or Saron can compete with those ranges. They might even add some recoil like the other long range variants have. I hate to say it, But I have a feeling a nerf IS coming for the GateKeeper. Its just too perfect right now.

It has no bullet drop.
    It has no recoil.
    It has perfect accuracy.

*Edit*
    That no bullet drop is also a VS trait. You guys would **** bricks if our weapons had your trait of more ammo per battery, So that needs to go as well.
    • Up x 1
  3. SwornJupiter

It has drop tho. Coupled with low alpha damage per shot, and low DPS, which means it pitfalls in cqc. Long ranged combat is its ONLY redeeming quality.
    Faction traits no longer matter. VS and NC have 845rpm weapons that fire faster than 70% of TR's arsenal. Forget ammo count - betelgeuse has heatsink mechanic = unlimited ammo
    • Up x 7
  4. RedArmy

i feel the gatekeeper sucks, i bought it cuz it was new and id rather just use the vulcan. im used to getting close to targets, now that i can shoot far it frightens me - us TR arnt used to change
  5. ArcticRunner

You know, the extra weapons we're supposed to plug holes without sacrificing faction diversity. Instead of rivalling the Enforcer and the Saron, the Gatekeeper invents a whole new range category. It's useable at a range completely beyond the Enforcer and the Saron. Either nerf the muzzle velocity, or, better yet, buff the others, including the main guns, up to it's muzzle velocity. Add 250 to all of the MBT primary cannon muzzle velocities, bring the Enforcer and Saron up to 500 m/s, and give the main guns and ranged secondaries the AA zoom options. (1.5,2,2.5,3) Easy peasy. Though, make sure the Gatekeeper has DPS to match the Saron and Enforcer.
  6. Lividicus!

Let me get this straight... People want to nerf the velocity (which is what makes it a long range AV platform) simply because it doesn't have a ton of drop? Personally, I could care less, I still use the halberd. But the fact is, the gatekeeper fills a MUCH NEEDED role for the TR. The Saron/Enforcer fire MUCH less bullets for MUCH more damage, which is why they have slightly less velocity. If the gatekeeper loses it's velocity it will become near useless because the amount of bullets required to actually damage a target, with lower velocity, it will be much more difficult to hit targets efficiently.

Honestly, I'm down with them nerfing the POS into the ground! It's what they've done to everything else the TR has/had! The sad truth is that everyone is used to the TR being the junk faction and now that we have a viable option for killing magriders that peek around rocks and rain rockets from mountaintops, the VS (some VS are being babies, others are being really cool about this situation) are crying. Essentially, the TR used to use the halberd and it was MUCH more difficult to hit peeking targets due to it's velocity. So, now that we have a weapon that can continuously spray up a mountain, those on the VS that enjoy cheese tactics are crying for a nerf. I think it's time to Grow up guys...

To the VS that understand the gatekeeper fills a much needed role for the TR: THANK YOU, YOU ARE A GENTLEMAN AND A SCHOLAR!

To the whiney VS: Hibgy told you guys a long time ago "VS won't use anything that's not OP"
    • Up x 2
  7. Bearded Wall

I will stop using the gatekeeper the second you give me a single alternative that is worth a ****.

TR have the gate keeper and we have AV turrets and that is IT for long range av.

It just amazes me that the TR have been complaining about how weak the striker is and how AWFUL the fractures are FOREVER, and everyone is surprised that when we are given a decent long range av... everyone uses it.
    • Up x 2
  8. Jubikus

Just a side not the accuracy isnt perfact its really close but not quite against vehicles its negligable but its noticable when your shooting base turrets from a really long distance.
  9. Campagne

First off, there are no "Nerf Mjoliner" threads because the thing is unflattering at best, and no "Nerf Aphelion" threads because it's just a slight variation of the already OP Vulcan. Only now, two factions have it, so much less players are likely to complain about it.

Secondly, please don't "[PSA]" for anything that isn't a public service announcement. :eek:
  10. SwornJupiter

There would also be no Gatekeeper OP threads if it werent for some VS minorities. But those dont count. Those are a "I won't be satisfied until TR's AV department is nerfed back to sub-par like pre-patch"
    Pls scorpion... enough with these. We have a Vulcan, which you asked for because Magrider wasnt competitive enough in cqc.
    TR have a long range AV, which was also asked for because their long range AV department is particularly lacking.

Do you not see the win-win scenario which I see?
    • Up x 1
  11. Campagne

Ehh... As an NC, given its range it's kinda OP.
  12. Foxirus

The TR trait is not more rounds per minute, Its more rounds per magazine. Though, You guys do have that one 900 RPM weapon.
  13. Silversharp

Because its too good at range. Because its too good vs infantry (almost like prenerfed ppa, except 30% worse).
    Add bloom or reduce magazine size. Reduce splash - its suppose to be AV weapon, not the peasants slayer.
  14. WetPatch

At what range does it have drop? Because if it's beyond render range then your whole drop argument is mute.

You have been given a weapon with no downside which excels all other long range weapon. You do realise both VS/NC long range weapons are also the Halberd?
    • Up x 3
  15. Scorpion97

Just make it with drop and small CoF bloom,totally not a big deal
  16. Scorpion97

You should really go see the plague they did in my thread (page 4) only becouse I made 2 suggestions to only make accuracy more competitive
  17. ZDarkShadowsZ

According to the official PS2 Wiki it says otherwise.

We have just 2 weapons higher than 900 RPM. One of them is the T4 AMP. Oh boy the T4 AMP. Very threatening.
    • Up x 1
  18. Haquim

According to the description that made me join TR our weapon traits are "high velocity, high firerate and low damage"

Or according to the wiki which propably talks about PS1, aince I can't find that one anymore:
    All weapons of the Terran Republic sacrifice raw power and accuracy for high rates of fire, large magazine sizes, controllable recoil, and accuracy with sustained fire.

Going by that apparently the devs forgot the high rof and controllable recoil. Thankfully they also forgot the low damage, at least on some weapons..
    I'm still pissed about the Serpent and the Lynx.
    • Up x 2
  19. SwornJupiter

There are more pressing issues in this game than a single weapon. The reason why TR's AV department was lacking was entirely the fault of SOE, who, in their infinite wisdom, nerfed the Striker and Fracture into the ground such that they were rendered completely useless. I'm honestly surprised that the players were surprised that TR gravitated towards their next most reliable vehicle killing weapon: the vulcan.
    Since day one, an objective, reasonable person can tell that TR is compensating for their lack of effective AV with other means. Situations in which the NC or VS would use ravens, phoenixes, vortexes or the (beloved) lancer, the TR had to pull vulcans...

Do you not see what the gatekeeper does now? It has opened up another avenue for one faction to deal with armour zergs so that they don't get roflstomped any time a 96+ armor zerg arrives at their base. One of the downsides of fighting TR is constantly having to fight that damn vulcan, and this gatekeeper will breathe a breath of fresh air into the TR faction so that they actually become more interesting to fight, rather than just spamming vulcans all day.

You do realise that if this toy, like their predecessors the fractures and strikers, are nerfed into the ground, we're back at square one, right? Dealing with vulcan spam again and again.
    Pls, no.
    • Up x 4
  20. CMDante

It does 75 damage inside half a meter. If it kills you with splash it was very likely going to kill you anyway.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.