Gameplay in PS2 nowadays...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by IronMouse, Aug 8, 2015.

1. CNR4806

Have you considered for a moment that you're looking at the wrong game for small to medium-sized battles?
    • Up x 3
  2. IronMouse

I am amazed with people so certain that there should be just one way of things happening - THEIR way.

After your reply, I have reconsidered if I was looking at the wrong game for small to medium sized battles. I came to a conclusion that I was not looking at the wrong game for small to medium sized battles.

A counter-proposal for you: have you considered that PS2 shouldn't be ONLY about massive fights, but massive AMOUNT of fights? Few huge ones, some large ones, several medium sized ones, and lots and lots of small sized battles? We have several enormous continents. It's really ridiculous to assume only few hotspots on each continent should exist, of which each one consists of the nearly whole player population concentrated at a single base at a time.

If that was the original idea behind PS2 and it was "flawed" up until now, so the devs are finally "fixing" the game and in the future the zergs are the only thing to be expected, I can announce with 100% certainty that I will be leaving you and the like-minded to PS2 alone to enjoy the cluster-**** chaos which I don't enjoy one bit.
  3. OldMaster80

And you're not different. Pretending to fight only small-mid size battles in the most massive mmofps on the market doesn't make sense.

Btw at least 90% of choke points and bottlenecks can be avoided with a little bit of creativity, with some flanking and with smart thinking. But most of players just keep pushing trough the bottleneck like a suicide lemming.
    • Up x 1
  4. Goretzu

I don't think every base should be like that (the game need varierty), but some bases should be, with a generator to bring the roof shield down.
  5. IronMouse

I AM different. I don't insist that only small to medium fights should exist. I said they should coexist with larger fights that are already present.

And no, it's not only the bottleneck fights. It's the fact that due to redeploy feature each and every fight changes in the matter of minutes from 1-12/12-24 to 48-96/96+.

I already stated both things in my OP. If only you would bother reading.
  6. customer548

I also notice a lack of small/medium fights nowdays. I guess the main reason is the new Redeploy mechanics. Redeploy only sends you in zerged places now. That is definitly more than boring.
    Lower population may also be a reason.
    On Cobalt, i suppose that VS are a part of the problem. They overpop other faction most of times (espcially at night). Other factions have to zerg to try to be effective.

I didn't notice that IronMouse said at any moment that people HAD to fight small-mid size battles. He only talked about his own prefered fights.

The only real thing that doesn't make any sense is to be unable to think that this game MUST be played in ONE single way. People who think so definitly missed a hudge part of the fun of PS2.

By the way, recommanding "creativity" and "smart thinking" to lonewolves may definitly appear as a funny thing. Lonewolfing requires more awareness, more tasks to accomplish and more "creative thinking" than zerging with Mumble+4 Medics+3 Engis+teammates around.
    • Up x 1
  7. FateJH

In as far as the viability of small groups are concerned, I think the main issue is that small groups are never going to be as effective against a larger group by trying to emulate doing the same things a larger group would do.
  8. IronMouse

I know this is probably my personal, subjective impression, but playing TR effectively on Cobalt requires me to give my 150%! I get TKed so, so often, healed rarely and revived even more so. It's so rare, I literally REMEMBER THE NAMES of medics who actually give a damn. Also, the TR on Cobalt is so... How do I put this... Ineffective? Lack the energy or balls to do something about the battle? Or maybe it's just that they lack the numbers, I have no idea what the problem is.

I literally play VS after TR to get some rest and relieve of the frustration. Playing VS (I play all 3 factions so I'm not biased in any way) feels like a breeze compared to TR.
  9. IronMouse

I want to update my own thread with yesterday's impressions.

1) I started running into invisible people RIGHT NEXT TO ME, who render visible only after spewing half their clip into my head. Why aren't they visible to me, but I obviously am to them?

2) Enemy infiltrator, back turned to me. I aim at his head, shoot, he instantly turns around and headshots me. In a split-second. Fun.
    • Up x 1
  10. hostilechild

I must be playing at a different time and server. But on Connery there is usually 1 zerg, 2 at most per faction and most of the time they are fighting each other anymore. (or 1 zerg and 1 bunch of lone wolfs equal to it trying to counter with redeploy).

I am finding lots of 1-12 12-24 fights and they are almost never turning into 96+ unless at a tech/biolab.

It is a little harder to get to them, but thats why they stay small you can't just redeploy into them if the pop is balanced.
  11. customer548

Omg, it happened to me SO OFTEN since 2 or 3 weeks...i now even barely trust my own radar darts. Never saw that by the past.
    I must be one of the last guys who will think "game is broken" or "I'm dead but "lag", you know" or "server is broken"...But nowdays i'm starting to have doubts about Cobalt operable conditions or game stability.
    • Up x 1
  12. customer548

13. JohnGalt36

From the ads: Epic warfare on a massive scale.

So... massive scale.

Also... mad cuz combined arms.
  14. customer548

This game is 3 years old and we've always been able to choose to be a part of large fights AND smaller ones. You obviously missed that point. Nowdays on Cobalt, there's a lack of smaller fights.

No one is mad atm. Maybe are you when other people start to talk about different priorities than yours.

You go further than ads do, you know.
    • Up x 1
  15. JohnGalt36

If you want to play small/medium fights without interference by vehicles, like the OP stated in the OP, there are so many other games out there you can choose from.

Why would I be mad? I enjoy fighting in large fights with tons of enemy armor and air to shoot.

Again, epic warfare on a massive scale is what was promised with this game, it seems to deliver in primetime.
  16. customer548

Awww...come on...time wasted, Captain Obvious...So, if you're happy of everything, why do you even post in this thread ?

We always could do BOTH...large AND smaller fights...omg...you should read.
    • Up x 1
  17. JohnGalt36

Because I'm at work with nothing to do but browse the forums.

There are large and small fights, but even if there weren't small fights...

Epic warfare on a massive scale
    Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter
    Notice a pattern?
    Massive?
    [IMG]
  18. Obscura

But how can you expect to find small fights on the most populated continent on your server? If you're running into too many zergs, then go to a continent with less people. Problem fixed. But expecting the game to cater to you because you don't enjoy the defining aspect of the game(large scale, combined arms) doesn't really make sense.
    • Up x 2
  19. Dualice

IronMouse, funny the kind of fights I met you at today were exactly the kind that might incite this sort of thread :)

I too prefer the not-so-jammy fights. The continent locks don't help, I find it a bit better in the evenings when there's more than two unlocked.
    • Up x 1
  20. WorldOfForms

I see a complaint here, but I don't think I saw a solution. How exactly are the devs supposed to fix this?

When you present a problem, it's much more helpful to present a solution. Put some ideas out there to get a discussion going on that.