[PS4] Guidance/Advice Sought

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by StarGeezerTim, Aug 10, 2015.

1. StarGeezerTim

Since the ability to post in the PS4 sub-forum is currently borked, I figured I'd ask my noob questions here.

Just started playing on the PS4, although I tried the game back when it launched on the PC. Unfortunately my box at the time could only barely play it...poorly...and it was prone to constant crashing.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not a real FPS player/fan. I've dabbled some in Halo, but never really got into the big titles like BF or CoD. So when it comes to shooters, I am definitely a filthy casual.

So, first question: is there an easier way on the PS4 to distinguish friend from foe? I mean, on the PC I can at least make out the little triangle/inverted carot over the heads of friends. But at moderate-to-long draw distance, I can't always see those on the PS4. This is getting me into hot water: if I hesitate a second to be sure it's an enemy, I get shot. If I shoot first and ask questions later, 9 times out of 10 it winds up being a teammate. On the PC, you're only about 18-24 inches away from the screen. Typically on the PS4, folks are sitting clear on the other side of the room and even on a 50" screen, I can't always make out who is who. Considering my eyeballs have over a half century of mileage on them, I would hope there's an easier way to quickly determine who needs to be ventilated and who doesn't. Making that friend marker above the heads about 3x bigger might help, or to be able to color code enemies like you can on the PC version. Judging from the amount of anguished cries of "Cease fire, we're on the same team!", I'd gather I'm not the only person having a problem with this.

Second question: where is the "sweet spot" when it comes to adjusting aim sensitivity for the controller? At the default setting, as soon as I start firing I'm wildly spraying lead all over the map. I know there's recoil,but dayum, that just seems crazy. I tried slowing it down some, and felt I was trying to move through molasses. There didn't seem to be much happy medium, so is there a secret to getting your gun to aim on target with a controller, or is it just a matter of building muscle memory and learning to finesse the sticks?

Those are my two biggies there. Sorry again for posting this here, as soon as they fix access to the PS4 area I'll try putting any further questions there. Thanks in advance.
  2. StarGeezerTim

I'm going to assume from the deafening silence nobody else has these issues? So noted. :(
  3. Profileiche

Friend or Foe: PS2onPS4 sorely lacks the option to switch from empire specific color coding to friend or foe color coding. To properly spot enemies you have to closely watch the shape of the player models. All infantry models are empire specific. Infiltrators have specific sounds. Empires have specific tracer round colours. Another way is spotting the movement direction. Chances are good that a move in the direction of the spawn or the cap point that is opposite to yours is an enemy. Scan/spot enemies AND friendlies by using R1. Spotted enemies appear as BIG colour coded arrow on the minimap. Your own faction is always a tiny arrow.Shooting enemies appear as a color coded dot.

Hard to see from other side of the room: Get a comfy chair, sitting bag or sit on the ground closer to the TV. My wife had to move about two meters closer to the screen. Now her aim and spotting is way better.

Sensitivity: As you can't set up every sensitivity individually , some things are still crammed together in one slider bar (or it's hard to tell which slider applies to what). To properly adjust your sensitivity start all at the maximum and reduce them during a rinse and repeat in the actual action. To test vehicles I suggest staying in the warpgates as there is no crash damage there. In the end you should recheck your sensitivity each month anyway as your stick thumbs will develop in time. Try to aim cool and don't let the sticks hit the plastic. This will help your coordination and muscle memory. Fine aim is possible to a certain extent.
    • Up x 1
  4. StarGeezerTim

Thanks for responding, Profileiche. Those are some solid steps in the right direction anyway, so thank you. I'll look into the comfy chair option. If I ever sat in a bean-bag chair or on the ground, I'd never get up! :D I'm an old fart with severe arthritis, so my floor-sitting days are pretty much behind me.

One fellow on YouTube who apparently has considerable experience with the PC version of the game recently did a side-by-side comparison of the two. He admitted that the Aim Assist, among other things, left much to be desired and is likely either broken or needs a major overhaul to be of any use. He did concede however that because of the controller setup on the PS4 that the action seemed more "warlike" and less like an arena. I can see his point; I watch some Twitch streamers playing on the PC and I can't even fathom how they're able to move, aim, shoot, jump, heal themselves and brew a mean cup of espresso at blistering speeds that literally make my head swim watching them. This same YouTuber also confirmed that the sensitivity sliders need more notches; it's possible to go from too slow to too fast with just one click of the slider.

One thing that I wish they would have kept in the PS4 version is the Virtual Training Ground. Being able to test your settings, sensitivity, shooting patterns/bullet drop, and so forth from the relative safety of a virtual environment would have been most welcome and I hope they reconsider including it in the near future. I also hope they beef up the features in the settings, including the ability to color code friend/foe, and perhaps include an option for making certain features like text and the "dorito" larger for those of us with older lookin' balls.

Thanks again for your input. I welcome more tips, tricks and comments as well from all sources.
  5. Profileiche

Try watching the twitch streams on PS4. :)

Concerning the autoaim: The autoaim is there. Yet it seems to be only a very small circle around the center of the crosshair. It's also pointless as autoaim can't help you leading shots which is absolutely necessary beyond the 10m CQC distance.The projectile speed in game is really slow compared to other games, esspecially when using a silencer. After setting up your sensitivity, leading shots is another step towards good aim in this game. Twitch aim skills are one thing that is hard to train, but reading the area and estimating how and where the enemies will likely appear is much easier to learn. Just take your time. Get to some vantage point and watch the movements of the enemies. You will soon notice that the major crowd is moving along paths dictated by the base layout, while light assault will always ... always and every day ... try to get as high as possible. If your aim is bad, your strength might still be to take your time, flank the enemy and give them something to think about. Bad aim is only one part of the problem against better aiming enemies. Appearing in a spot that they expect you to come from is the bigger flaw. But this is one you can work around.

I keep my fingers crossed for you concerning the UI options and maybe even the size adjustment. But you shouldn't hold your breath on this one ;)
    • Up x 1
  6. StarGeezerTim

Yep, been watching them to see how others are getting on. I'm not sure if I should be relieved or concerned that not many do much better than I do. LOL ;)

Very kind of you to keep hoping for some positive change in the coming weeks and months. I've learned a long time ago not to get one's hopes up too much when it comes to games, nor to put all your proverbial eggs in the same basket. I've got a number of other games to keep me busy, but I do sincerely hope they can get ahead of these many problems and address them before they lose more potential players. It took them long enough to actually bring it to life (they had at one point hinted that PS2 was to be a launch title on the new PS4), so here's hoping for they get some traction soon.