[Suggestion] Region Lock Asia out of US West Coast Connery

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sierra284, Aug 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WeRelic

I've seen this exact discussion on another game's forums a while back.

They ended up region locking South America to handle latency. It was a fiasco, and when the hammer finally came down, all it did was alienate a bunch of people who just wanted to play the game, while the slightly more tech savvy hackers had no problems getting around the block.

In the end, all they accomplished was alienating their playerbase, and lowering the number of legitimate players in the game, no matter how laggy the were or weren't. I don't agree or disagree with the discussion at hand, but I felt this would be worth mentioning.
  2. Geneaux

Spare me your drama. I, and many others probably, have nonexistent attention spans for replies that attack with words and meaning others like yourself conjure. Do people a favor, if you can't understand the post, don't bother replying.

Realistically, you know damn well there are only two solutions here that DBG can take. Of which i've just given. Get over it.

What point? NA, and probably EU players, don't like them, hence more decline. Korea isn't some miracle land that will suddenly care greatly about PS2 on the same scale that they care about SC2 or DotA2. Why? Probably because outside of fringe cases, this game isn't nearly competitive enough for them to take seriously on a greater scale. They aren't even the target market; DBG couldn't care about them if they wanted.

Not to mention the discussion here is the Connery server and not the PS2 decline not matter how well it's related (it's an indirect side effect). Blame the lack meta and sense of "gratification" in taking something that will be retaken back in the next 15-45mins(effectively nullifying all you hardwork).That is all it is.

Get off your high horse already.
  3. LeFitz

I happen to play on Connery since launch from the Philippines. I used to have around 300ms ping for 2 years and a half until recent DBG patches. I'm now around 200ms. That impacted positively on my feel of the game and stats so by all means, having a high ping is a disadvantage for the guy who has the high ping and not the others.
    High ping translates into not being able to hit anything and when hitting, the hits register much later and you get killed before damaging anyone. If ping spikes about 1,000ms, everything starts flying around and you can stop playing.
    As mentioned, the Australian server is showing higher ping numbers.
  4. DangerMeat

Wrong. High ping, when playing aggressively, gives you a massive advantage. Nobody can hit YOU. You pop around a corner and kill someone almost before they see you. Then when getting shot at, you are not where they are aiming. When the DDOS attacks were happening, my normally 50-ish ping spiked to 500+. I was getting more kills per minute than I've ever gotten before.

The other thing that is happening now is gameplay is wrecked in terms of the battles now largely consist of giant swarms of players from Korea, China, Japan. Some people say "It saved the nightly population on Connery when they came over." Before they came over, population was just fine. Battles could be found of all scales from small to gigantic. Not the case any more. Just Asian Mega-zergs everywhere. Gameplay is ruined.
  5. LeFitz

I don't know how wrong I can be. I think I would have noticed after 2,000hrs if I was killing everybody before they could react...
    I cannot really argue with you since my experience is absolutely different.
    If you want to bar people from what apparently you consider as being your server, make sure people get a transfer to another server of their choice. Also, be careful what you wish for because you are giving an interpretation of pop dwindling down that might not be correct and end up with an empty server.
  6. CNR4806

If you have nothing intelligent to say about my posts other than insults after insults and red herrings after red herrings, don't bother replying to it?

The point is, you aren't going to magically gain a lot of players to fill the void you're trying to create. You have pinpointed the cause of the game's decline (the complete lack of meta other than farming kills and certs), and until that is fixed, every player you force away from any particular server is irreplaceable.

What you are trying to do is to split a relatively healthy server into two or more ghost towns. A little while ago the entire Briggs barely out-pops a 64-player Battlefield server and that's exactly what your suggestion is heading for. Inb4 Emerald-Connery merge and the rants about laggy players begin all over again.

Or not doing anything about it unless the game is pulled out of its rapid decline and can actually afford to split its servers instead of having to merge them to create the illusion of a healthy game.
  7. God Of Plutonium

those servers shut down
  8. CNR4806

AFAIK the Chinese servers are still around. Japan never had its own servers (and they've been in Connery for a long time) and the Korean one has been shut down less than a month ago.

None of these are or were operated by SOE/DBG at any point of their history.
  9. Jubikus

while were at it can we disconnect all players better than me its really annoying to die.
    • Up x 1
  10. Geneaux

You clearly don't know wth a red herring is.

Ok, then what do you expect to happen to resolve this, because you've suggested nothing. May as well add the fact(needs verification) that those Chinese and Japanese servers don't exist, and suddenly you have blatant signs of consolidation, which is usually the result of decline.

Now I'm suggesting splitting servers? I'm done with this stupidity. I could care less what they do with the servers. It won't resolve anything unless they bring out something meaningful. Of which I'm going to iterate below.

Other than figuring out some sort of new mechanics to make every minute of playing this game day-in and day-out(some sort of new meta which DBG said they were working on iirc), there's nothing else to truly help PS2 population as it stands. There's almost no point in playing after hundreds of hours because everything becomes a "been there done that" scenario. You've fought and played the same maps and regions thousands of times only to have them recaptured shortly thereafter. Only the experience and camaraderie have kept this game afloat.

Source? When?
  11. TheRunDown

I remember when PlanetSide 1 was over run with China players.
    They'd log in and all play Vanu for some reason.. and just kill the server in off peak hours and when you come online in the morning everything was Purple and if you was TR, you'd spend most of you time trying to break out of Double Team at the TR warpgate.

I believe SoE back then just Geo Blocked China from SoE, and China pirated PlanetSide 1 and made a Private server, which got shut down I think after 2 years.

I don't see a problem with Geo Blocking China, I do believe there is a Chinese version of PlanetSide 2 any way.
    Not sure if DayBreak run it or it has a licensed company running and developing it, but ours is clearly better ;)
    Maybe ours has more content? Maybe Daybreak should consider doing a Asian server, but not the Language files, most games these days don't bother with multi language support any more.

12. NCstandsforNukaCola

13. ColonelChingles

The Chinese have their own server, run by a different group called The9. It is horribly outdated though, and might be stuck somewhere in late 2013/early 2014 in terms of updates.

Honestly I don't know why SOE/DBG never exerted more control over their foreign partners. Look at the ProSieben fiasco in the EU. They had simply done such a poor job that SOE took them back.

It's pretty much standard that whenever you "outsource" control over your product, implementation and quality control will suffer. It happened with the Europeans. And definitely happened with the Chinese. I bet if SOE/DBG were to take back control from The9 and actually bring the Chinese content and customer service up to speed, you'd have much less problems with Chinese players playing on US servers.

Though you'd probably also need to offer them the free opportunity to move their characters back.
  14. Taemien

Let me tell you all something that I told the OP, perhaps you missed it.

We have US Service-members in Korea, Japan, Phillipines, and so on. As Daybreak has historically supported us in the past, they will continue to do so. So we're not going to see Region-locks for those areas, end of story. If those men and women can handle that 2-3 year long tour of duty in those locations, I think you all can handle a group of players that play at odd hours with a different set of pings.

And if you can't. All I can say is, ****. Those service-members in those locations for a few years should be able play with their family and friends back home. You all can at least suck it up.
  15. Crator

Did you guys know region lock was a thing they were going to do until the community got upset about it? So they reversed that decision.
  16. Corezer

The solution is simple, you just have to understand that while people named Richard go by Dick, you only get Dick from Richard by asking nicely...

They did the server layout incorrectly IMO, non-persistent MMOs like WoW, where everything is in scheduled instances, are best for the time zone layout because you want to play with players who can run on a similar schedule for planning raids and such in a guild.

For a persistent MMO dependent on player input like this, it is absolutely essential for immersion to have 24/7 pop, outfit representation, etc. That's what makes the stories and it is something this game missed out on by incorporating 1 zone primetimes and segregating populations. Instead of an east and west coast, with odd ball central guys thrown in, there should have been centralized servers that would make for longer primetimes and less pop falloff through the night. That's in America, the same formula could be followed in other regions, except Australia, those guys are just isolated from the world...
  17. KoRneY

Actual dickheads in this thread. Absolutely amazing.

edit: Especially the OP.
  18. RadarX

Closing this one up. There are no plans to region lock any servers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.