[Suggestion] Region Lock Asia out of US West Coast Connery

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sierra284, Aug 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockit

And this is why there is a belief in the industry mmofps will not work. In a genre that depends on low latency to facilitate high accuracy you simply have to highly localize the servers and as you say would thin out the number of players. Now if people could tolerate some netcode weirdness it wouldn't be as much of an issue but you see it here time and again where it is a huge issue.
    • Up x 1
  2. LeFitz

@OP (not Taemien): You can go along with your suggestion. French kiss from the Philippines.
  3. ColonelChingles

What's wrong with punishing high ping locals?

The problem here isn't Asians. It's high ping. So why punish Asians when you really want to punish high ping?

Whether a high ping person is sitting in Pasadena or Pyongyang, it makes no difference. The gameplay effect is the same.

Likewise whether a low ping person is sitting in Torrance or Tokyo is also irrelevant. They have low ping, and therefore should be allowed to play.

Discriminating on the basis of ping rather than race or geographic origin seems much less... problematic. ;)
    • Up x 1
  4. Geneaux

IIRC, there are both Chinese and Japanese versions of PS2(only going off supposed "advertisements" from memory). If this is the case, then I see absolutely no reason why they should be allowed to play on NA servers, if it isn't for PS2 region tournaments and the like.
  5. The Rogue Wolf

Whenever somebody suggests a ping limit, I want the limit to be set 20ms lower than their best ping.
  6. CNR4806

Contrary to popular belief, Asian is not a language and English is the only thing that remotely resembles a common language over here, and the DBG international servers are the only ones running on English. (Not to mention being the most up-to-date)

There are also plenty of practical and political reasons for people to prefer NOT playing on a server hosted in a neighbour country.

And speaking of the Chinese server, you should be ****ing glad that it exists, because it had taken up the biggest bulk of players that are either a) running on legendary-poor Internet or b) cheaters.
  7. NCstandsforNukaCola

Yes, chinese have their own server but the server doesn't get update at all. As far as I know PU02 didn't even hit the live.
    And japanese? No, there is no server for them.
    Lastly for koreans, yes ONCE. However Daum has shut down the server since they thought providing PS2 service doesn't benefit at all.
  8. Tragesaur

So, in short, since having shut down the Korean server they've "graced" us with their presence, pushing 300 pings, constant lag and teleporting. Ping cap when?
  9. NCstandsforNukaCola

No idea. I guess DBG won't expel them for that reason.
    If ping cap were to be applied, then DBG would lose a half of entire player base considering russian players in Miller.

And, yeah I sorta agree korean have high ping(Especially there are a bunch of korean blatantly using orion ADAD) but it is false they got 300ms, actually 150~250ms depending on isp.
    Even some of NA players have that ping either as far as I know.
  10. CNR4806

300ms is what you get from connecting to Europe, at least from my current location of Hong Kong.

General latency from Hong Kong over years of experience:
    Hong Kong: <50ms
    China: 50~300ms (it's a bit ridiculous)
    Japan, Korea: 100~150ms
    Oceania: 200~250ms
    US West Coast: 200ms
    US East Coast: 250ms
    Europe: 300~350ms
    Russia: lol no.

You know, I'm all for a ping cap. Hilarity is going to ensue when suddenly every server (save Emerald perhaps) is as dead as Briggs.
  11. Geneaux

Tell me where in my comment where I say "Asian" is a language. Adding words where they don't exist. Laughable.

Enlighten us.

I think you'd very well understand my position on this... because I already stated it of course.
  12. CNR4806

You suggested dumping all Asian players into the outdated Chinese, the defunct Korean and the non-existent Japanese servers with zero regard of the language barriers present in the region. The "Asian is not a language" statement is there to point out your blatant disregard of the problem.

The aforementioned language barrier, latency issues (Surprise, surprise, it isn't exclusive to the DBG servers), general hostility between countries in the region and the poor quality of local MMO operators compared to DBG.

Again, by all means go ahead and black out the entire region at the point where the game is on steady decline and struggling to retain enough players to maintain that MMOFPS atmosphere. I'll laugh as Connery becomes as dead as Briggs.
  13. Tragesaur

Correct, there is a practical reason why people shouldn't play on a server based in a neighboring country, or maybe one across an ocean. That reason being the topic of this thread. The language barrier shouldn't even have been brought up, it's not the issue and has no bearing on this conversation. They (Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, native English speakers, whoever else) all play on Connery for instance, will no regard for any kind of language barrier, so it should be the same elsewhere.
  14. CNR4806

The latency issue I mentioned is based on the Chinese server that actually exists. Connecting around that massive landmass of laughably-inconsistent Internet is actually very fast, it's any attempt of connecting with it that produces funny results.

Again, DBG does not have an Asian server and the game is in no state to start or split a server, and you cannot just kick the Asian players off the entire grid. Doing either is not beneficial to anyone, be it the Asian players or whoever that is privileged to stay in the ghost town called Connery.
    • Up x 1
  15. Tragesaur

I concur with all those points, but the matter at hand is still unresolved and people are unhappy there's no alternative. Deal with it or don't play is a horrible outlook on something but it seems like the only outcome unless DBG presents something else. The concerns raised by the OP are still valid though is all I'm saying. Edited for spelling ^_^.
  16. PrimePriest

Can we also region lock Russians from EU servers while we're at it?
    • Up x 1
  17. Geneaux

No, those are your words. Why? I never even mentioned Korea. You have bad habit of adding implied context where it doesn't exist.

Having them play on NA or EU servers do not solve anything. And please, explain this Sino-Japanese-Korean hostility in the context of MMOFPS. The most they'll do is hack each other. Not something video game publishers care about.

Here's a solution; DBG can just contract PS2 to publishers specific to that region. Hint: its the only solution(outside of region-locking, a blatant lose-win situation for Korea). PS2 decline is not mitigated by Korea in the least; that is largely up to DBG and American population because that is where the real market for DBG is at.
  18. Sierra284

and that American market is slowly but surely dwindling in the USA because the Asians keep irritating us to a point where we derive no pleasure from playing the game at all.
    • Up x 1
  19. Scorpion97

Personally,I don't like the idea of having Asians in a NA server but business is what makes me accept them.More Asians=more targets.lol I like killing those red devil ants or skyA scrubs or N4A dogs or..well,there is a certain problem with 26sp that they play with NOTHING but HA only!
  20. CNR4806

Seriously? That's your gripe about my post? Did it really matter so much that I mentioned Korea and you didn't? And hey, it's an Asian server that used to exist, what's the deal about you throwing a NO YOU CAN'T MENTION IT fit when the context is about forced segregation of the US/Asian playerbase?

Since you continue to play the ignorance card, I see no need to explain any further on the matter.

Also, you're still ignoring the obvious language barrier.

Either you're intentionally dodging the point, or you're so thick you can't get it.

The game is in a state of constant decline and there is no hope of it getting another surge of population in the foreseeable future. We're in the state of merging servers and you suggest a server split?

If an enforced separation of US West and Asia take place, you'll be better off playing Counter Strike if you want a chance to shoot at people. Seriously, go pay Briggs a visit and tell me how playable it is as a server population-wise.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.