There is no Czech Republic flag decal

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Petrusion, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Petrusion

The title says it all, i would be happy if i could spend my money on the flag of the czech republic :)
    I saw some forums where people were like "there's no australia / canada flag" but now they are both in game, i would love if Czech flag was next / another to be added :)
    • Up x 3
  2. Pfundi

Im not sure, but you could make one via Player Studio I guess? Sooner or later it will be added anyway. But I wonder what decides what flags they already added. Maybe playerbase.
    I wouldnt use a flag decal anyway, got killed way too often for being a "Deutschland Reich Sieg Hitler **** Heil" or something like that :D
  3. Mezinov

The Devs have stated that while they would love to have just made every nations flag available right from the start, not all nations allow the display of their flag in the manner in which it would be displayed in Planetside.

In some cases the Flag is a copyright protected symbol, to which they need to get permission to use - which is a time consuming and expensive process.

In other cases, law within the Flags nation prohibits it from being used in violent media.
    • Up x 2
  4. Pfundi

Ah okay, thx! :)
  5. Pikachu

• Up x 3
  6. Petrusion

I know about that, I just thought to myself "well i am going to create a disscusion about it as there is no disscusion about czech republic's flag"
  7. Taemien

What you need to actually do is write your representative and tell them to change the law or relinquish the copyright to public domain. Let them know you wish to proudly use it in a video game and in the process support such game by buying the ability to use such a decal.

The reason the copyright exists is probably because your country wishes to keep the flag from being misused. But on the contrary, it actually is more prohibitive to citizens like yourself that wish to use it. The Pros far outweigh the Cons as members of the United States, Canada, and many other countries where our flags are public domain can attest.
    • Up x 1
  8. Petrusion

I don't mean to sound lazy or unthankful for flags in the game in the first place, but that is probably something planetside developers should do instead of me, i am just a teenager (15) playing planetside wanting flag in it. They have sure contacted other countries for rights of the flags, right?
  9. Goretzu

It is possible some flags were just overlooked (although they said a while ago they had all the ones they could in-game now), for the rest I would imagine SOE/DBG just feels it is too expensive or impossible to go down that path.
  10. Asageh

“What the United States does best is to understand itself. What it does worst is understand others.”
    - Carlos Fuentes
    • Up x 1
  11. Petrusion

I think it's more like a long procces of adding flags, as i stated in original text i saw some forums about there beign no canadian, australian, and many more flags that currently are in game, so that gives me hope of seeing blue, white and red on my shoulders <3
  12. Taemien

Actually no. If I were a Czech politician. I wouldn't give too craps about what some American company wanted. I'd be more worried about my constituency. You on the other hand are a future vote, and your parents are two votes. What you have to say is a little more valuable.

Some businesses can talk to governments directly. These are corporations like Microsoft, Apple, Google, ect. Not LLC's like Daybreak. Daybreak would actually have to go through our state department to get anything done. Which means it won't happen for a little decal in a game.

In the end, Czech citizens have to make the call. They're the ones who made the law to copyright their flag, they have to be the ones to change it. And think about it this way, lets say Daybreak does write a letter and gets permission to use the flag. What happens when you play a different game? Do you wait for that developer to send a letter too?

Why not have the flag become public domain so you can use it in every game you play?
  13. Petrusion

So for the latest flag decals to be added some people of the country must have spoken to their goverment?
    Also, i just read something about our flag, the only thing stated there about this situation is that the flag cannot be exploited
  14. Petrusion

oh, also I JUST REMEMBERED I SAW CZECH FLAG IN ONE GAME, STAR CONFLICT
  15. Petrusion

I just read a lot of Czech flag stuff, only things i was able to find was stuff about placement of the flag.. that it cannot be burned with corpse... cannot be used as this and that.. but there were nothing about rights of use

Why is that important? It is important because i think Daybreak should send a letter or contact our goverment in any other way because there is nowhere stated that it cannot be used by third person so they have good chance of getting the aproval to use it in game.
  16. Petrusion

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT MESSAGE OF THE THREAD

HERE IT IS, i have gotten it! after hours of searching through Czech law i found this proof you can use our flag in this game and don't have to ask anybody!

It is right in the Third Article of the Part One in the Copyright Act declared by The Prime Minister
    ( http://www.mkcr.cz/assets/autorske-pravo/12-AZ_2006_v_AJ.pdf )
    which i put here:

Public Interest Exceptions in Copyright
    Copyright protection shall not apply to:
    a) an official work, such as a legal regulation, decision, public charter, publicly accessible register and collection of its documents, and also any official draft of an official work and other preparatory official documentation including the official translation of such work, Chamber of Deputies and Senate publications, a memorial chronicle of a municipality (municipal chronicles), a state symbol and symbol of a municipality, and any other such works where there is public interest in their exclusion from copyright protection,
    b) creations of traditional folk culture, unless the real name of the author is commonly known and the works are anonymous or pseudonymous (Article 7); such works may only be used in a way that shall not detract from their value.

the important part is "a state symbol" ... here in the link you can see a flag IS concidered a state symbol !
    http://www.mzv.cz/hague/en/general_...tate_symbols_of_the_czech_republic/index.html

So that is it! Hopefully daybreak can see this threat and add this decal to the game!
    • Up x 1
  17. BlueSkies

You can talk to this guy:

https://twitter.com/PS2BillYeatts

He will tell you he has to ask legal. If they say yes, he will try to get it in. Mind you, it can take awhile.
  18. ColonelChingles

Actually from how I'm reading this law, it seems to mean that other people can't copyright state symbols (or folk art) so that they can't make money off of a copyright.

For example, under this law I could not copyright the Czech flag and then sue other people for making and selling Czech flags. Essentially all this law says is that a private individual cannot "own" official or cultural works.

But this law does not say that I can use the Czech flag however I wish. There may be other regulations governing the use of such state symbols (apart from restrictive ownership). For example, this site (no idea how accurate it is) claims that:

And PS2 would run into a few problems.
    1) Having the Czech flag on a soldier who is TK'd and then tea-bagged is probably not "appropriate" or "dignified".
    2) SOE/DBG is not a "citizen", "political party", or a "civic association".
    3) When a tank with the Welsh flag is alongside a tank with the Czech flag, the Czech flag is not in "the most prominent place of honour".

Really though I think when it comes down to it DBG's legal department just kind of shrugs and figures it's not really worth being sued by a lawsuit troll if the laws aren't perfectly clear on what is admissible or not.
    • Up x 1
  19. Taemien

Pretty much this.

In the US, according to US code, it only gives recommendations on how to display the flag. However, failure to do so is not punitive in any way, shape, or form. Basically we can use it, sell it, and abuse it however we wish.

I have no clue why other countries don't do the same. As for Daybreak sending letters. They probably have. Various governments have bureaucracies that have to move such requests through. Its much easier for a citizen to make a request than a foreigner (usually).

As for seeing the Czech flag in other games. Was the flag purchasable or free to use?
  20. Petrusion

those are EXCEPTIONS in the law meaning copyright protection doesn't apply to state symbols

That doesn't apply here, that applies only to exhibiting flags on buildings etc.