Is my system outdated?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by SoggyPoons, Jul 21, 2015.

1. SoggyPoons

GPU: 2GB GigaByte GTX 680
    CPU: AMD FX8350
    MB: MSI H97 (I think, can't remember)
    RAM: 2 x 8GB 1600mhz DDRIII
    Monitor/Running Resolution: 1920x1080p Samsung

According to CYRI, I pass the recommended settings for this game. However I somewhat lag in-game, and GeForce experience recommends low-medium settings. Is the game poorly optimized or is my system getting outdated?
  2. user300115

Uninstall Geforce Experience first to see if the software is interfering.

Your hardware is fine except for the CPU. It should still perform okay in the game though.
    • Up x 1
  3. SoggyPoons

I'll have a look. I usually use GeForce to keep my drivers up to date but I'll see if its an issue.
    Whats wrong with the CPU? I've never really used AMD, people vouch for it but I just don't see it; I was running a Radeon 280 before chucking it for my old GTX 680 (tried updating the system)
  4. user300115

Single thread performance is roughly half of what Intel currently has to offer. That is no problem when an application is properly using all of the 8 cores but barely any game does that. As result Intel has a big performance advantage in games that rely on CPU performance.

Even though Planetside 2 is not that bad anymore when it comes to multithreading, Intel still has a significant advantage in this game.
  5. SoggyPoons

I was thinking of maybe doing a small PC upgrade. The parts I selected were:

Intel i5 4690K
    Gigabyte Z97X
    GTX 970 / SLI GTX 970 / GTX 980

The graphics cards are obviously the most expensive option so I'm still deciding what would be the best route
  6. user300115

I would leave out the GPUs for now and upgrade them if it is really necessary.

The CPU/mainboard combination is suited for overclocking. Although the game profits a lot from overclocking the CPU if you are not planning to do so you could save money on the mainboard.
    • Up x 1
  7. Pointyguide2

your gpu is perfectly fine for planetside.
  8. Pointyguide2

also on the cpu too if your planning on never overclocking.