Now that VS no longer has a tank

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by placeholder22, Jul 10, 2015.

1. GaussOP

No combat anywhere will go like the "DPS-test" you showed. Magrider is built for dodging, flanking and gaining the element of surprise. If you face a situation like your DPS-test show in real combat, you have failed as a Mag pilot. I really hope that the devs won't boost up the DPS to compensate for your incompetence.

There are real issues in the game and the Mag is not one of them.
    • Up x 1
  2. asmodraxus

Unfortunately dodging a shot what with lag, human reaction speed, the mags slow **** strafe speed vs projectile speed means that if your at less then 150m you get hit. If they miss you, they would of missed if you stayed put.

So how do you dodge then?

And if your saying that the Mag needs the element of surprise, congrats you have answered why the mag is so useless as a tank, because it cannot tank.

Things that kill tanks with the element of surprise and only with surprise

Lightnings
    Harassers
    AV Flash with a deci gunner
    Magriders

One of them is meant to be an MBT that is meant to be a front line tank made for pushing the line against other armor, not spending half an hour sneaking around to get behind the enemy only to be killed by any random airchav.

I'll be in the lightning killing vanguards and prowlers, pretending to be a MBT.
  3. GaussOP

Talk to good Mag pilots dude. There are many. They will instruct you on this matter. After you've learned how to pilot the vehicle, come back with suggestions on how to improve it.
    • Up x 1
  4. uhlan

The Magrider has huge advantages.

1. They can roll over certain cluster-f'king friendly vehicles during a zerg or bottle-neck. I can't stress how awesome this one advantage is when fighting on the front line (parking lot).

2. They have built-in gun stabilization because of the near flat-plane movement.

3. They can dodge while "hull-down".

4. Far less issues with terrain elevation.

I could go on here...

The Magrider isn't meant to be a combat brick like the Vanguard or a heavily armored sniper like the Prowler.

When used properly in combat; in the hands or COMPETANT pilots, it's awesome.

Don't use the thing like a door-knocking suit of armor and you'll do well.
    • Up x 3
  5. Scorpion97

Well,ac
    Well,actually dodging isn't something related to performance at all while flanking and stealth aren't so much practical,this mostly depends on ttk and not any of this specialities

You can't do stealth becouse MBTs are simply auto spotted from close (if they aren't spotted by an enemy which is IMPOSSIBLE to happen)

You can't do flanking becouse engineers will always be preparing their AV turrets for especially that AV engineers is a very lovely class

You can only dodge if your enemy is below average,otherwise,anyone can predict tanks movements by practice

Sounds like you never played engie with AV turret before,you have no idea how easy to hunt a magrider since it has the least resistance
  6. asmodraxus

No HOW do you dodge something that has HIT you or will HIT you no matter what you do.

Ok if the projectile travels at 275m/s over a distance of 100m, time to hit target = 0.36 seconds

Strafe speed of mag 20 kph, in meters per second that is 5.5 m/s with the width of a mag being 10m approx (side to side) the mag will go 1.98m, 3.02m not far enough (needs to go a total of 5m).

Strangely at 275m it is possible for the Mag to avoid damage against a 2/2 Vanguard.

However the above is assuming a number of factors like 100% accuracy, 0 lag and 0 reaction speed

Factoring in human reaction time of 215 milliseconds with a ping of 45 just compounds the issue and pushes the range that the mag has to be further out to avoid damage.

So tell me again about good mag drivers, what range from target are they again? As its just a question of maths about how close/far you are vs can you dodge the shot.
  7. GaussOP

Weird, I've dodged a lot of **** with Mag. I thought that Scorpion97 was a good Mag pilot! I might be mixing you up with Raiden.

All tanks face the same problem against engineer AV and Ravens. The only solution is Cover to which Mags should get the fastest with the magburn. Don't be an idiot and start strafing when hit with engineer AV turrets and then demand buffs on a good tank.
    • Up x 1
  8. Scorpion97

Thank you very much for confirming that magrider said need someone who's EXTREMELY skilled to use it properly which means it's not the average players fault who can't use it right which means magrider isn't "overpowered" as some people mentioned
  9. Collin

I have to agree that the TR have a major problem with long range AV. They dont have any. The striker is just a joke. Look at all alearts Server wide
  10. Scorpion97

False
    It takes time to search for a proper cover and use your magburner to reach and with some ping your enemy can still see you stable and hit while you were actually magburning

Who said I'm good pilot?i just want something to PUSH with,not hide and seek like a harraser,sounds like you are convincing yourself so much man
  11. Scorpion97

Edit:confusing* not convincing
  12. GaussOP

Nobody said it was OP. This thread is about buffing it. This means that the claim is quite the opposite. The listing of the strengths of a Mag is to show that it might not need a buff at this time.

All vehicles take practice. It is not meant to be something you "just push with". No tank in the game is like that apart from the Vanguard, which has a cool down on that push function.
  13. GaussOP

Yea sorry, didn't realize that you rushed idiotic positions without any awareness and then be surprised when you get shot to bits.

Again, people, stop asking for buffs when the problem isn't the tank! This kind of BS has already broken the game a few times.
    • Up x 1
  14. WTSherman

You claim I have no idea what I'm talking about, but completely fail to grasp the implications of the stats I posted.

Not only does the Sunderer have more resistance to most threatening AV weapons, in many cases its effective damage multiplier is as much as half what the tank's is. This means, if one of those weapons hits a Sunderer, it will take roughly 50% of the damage a tank would before armor.

A 58% armored Sunderer with twice the resistance is the equivalent of a vehicle that has 79% armor and MBT resistances. And the Sunderer has that on all four sides, meaning it cannot be flanked. A Blockade sundy is still tough as a rock, it's just not nigh-invincible anymore.

Having a lot of its toughness in resistances also means it's possible for certain weapons to be super-effective against it, but even in the worst-case scenario you still have MBT side armor on all four sides. Losing front armor isn't a terribly bad deal for having an armored rear.

A 70% armored Sunderer with twice the resistance was the equivalent of an MBT with 85% armor. Which is why it was nerfed, because 26,667 EHP is just a little on the ridiculous side. Not to mention an effective 6.7x multiplier to any repairs it's receiving.

The Blockade Sunderer is still an entirely viable battle bus. And if properly crewed it can still use Basilisks to hunt down and kill non-AV tanks with no engineers repairing at all, though fire suppression might come in handy. For hunting AV tanks with your battle bus, you'll just have to bring a repair sundy with you (though really you should try to avoid having to engage a TD with an Infantry Tank).

(also there was a small typo on the Phoenix, the MBT's -167% resistance translates into a 2.67x multiplier, not 1.67x, but people should be able to figure that out from context)

As far as prox repair, there is a very good reason it doesn't stack. Unlike an engie, prox can repair every vehicle in range at the same time and it never has to stop. It stacked once, it resulted in invincible sundyballs that could only be removed with excessive quantities of C4.

The trick to using prox repair now is you play engie, drive up to a vehicle zerg, park it near the rear in a spot where it can either continuously repair most of the vehicles, or the vehicles will naturally enter the repair radius when they duck into cover. Then you get out and use the engie to double-repair whatever's the most damaged, or rep your own sundy if it takes hits. A pair of repair sundies, properly positioned, can dramatically extend the reach of your repair field while also mutually repairing each other.

And if you paid attention in-game you would notice that MBTs almost never have more than one or two engineers repairing them. The ones that do usually run over one of them in short order. So these mythical MBTs tanking the focused fire of an entire team thanks to a platoon of Engineers squatting behind them simply don't exist outside of your imagination. A sufficiently ranked repair sundy is more than enough for your armor column's maintenance needs. A group of Magriders supported by a repair sundy is every bit as durable as a group of Prowlers receiving the same support, while having a far greater command of the terrain. Their sole downside is they lack the sheer destructiveness of a locked-down AP Prowler, but giving them that would be ridiculous.

But I guess no amount of reasonable discussion will ever stop VS from wishing they could have the PS2 Beta Spidermag, plus the firepower of a Prowler, plus the armor of a Vanguard. Because clearly "Balance" means making VS gear share all the strengths of the other two factions while having none of their weaknesses.
    • Up x 2
  15. Liewec123

look at the stats...
    prowler generally performs better but vanguard and magrider are so intertwined that its ridiculous to say "vanu don't have a tank qq!"
    you have a very decent tank.
  16. SanPelicano

Magrider has the same resistance than prowler, though it has less effective HP due to prowlers insane DPS.

With max steatlh you wont be auto-spotted even if your are next to the enemy tank. You only be spotted when someone is q-spotting you.
    if you are flanking right nobody can spot you... Flanking with stealthed magrider is not soo hard... Surviving a flanking manouver after that or picking up the right fight are the skill dependent stuffs.

Well it hasnt....
    Compared to the ps1 magrider. The ps2 version is a POS.
    In PS1 there were surfaces of water and only the magrider could hover on it. VG and Prowler had to use bridges.... That was a huge advantage
    Climbing hills is not a huge advantage and magrider cant climb anywhere... Climbing a good spot takes a lot of time and expose yourself to the enemy air..

I dont understand what "Hull down" means for you. Hulldown is, when tankers hide tanks hull and only expose the turret which is a smaller target...
    Magrider is a huge a hull witout a turret + it cant hull down cuz its hovering above the ground.

All i can see is a dead Magrider. Maggie has no chance to win in face to face combat against a competent VG crew. This is one of that situations which you should not pick up as a Magdriver, or you will die 8/10.
    nice painting tho.
    • Up x 1
  17. Scr1nRusher

Another "I'm VS everything sucks, don't hurt me I am a victim" thread?
    • Up x 2
  18. iller

Okay imagine every twelvie you've ever seen on Xboxlive / GTA .... now make them 30 years old and RP'ing as an ex-marine. The only way not to hear the constant abuse is to turn all Chat off. A lot of times you'll end up in their platoon by accident b/c it was mislabled or Blind-invited. But even if you avoid that entirely, they still show up in every Lane you try to push and then somehow manage to get YOU farmed or atleast TK'd as often as the 666. Look up his KDR padding stat sometime, it's special Olypmics grade...
  19. QuakerOatsMan

That's what I just described as a "hazard," but the mobility is also why magriders can do just as well as the other MBTs especially if you have cover. Not all MBTs are going to have spare engies repairing it from behind anyway.
    It's damage mitigation—not repairability—that's what you should be looking at. And the magrider can more easily dodge to mitigate damage, whereas something like an anchored prowler requires repair to do the same.
  20. Takara

Well I would disagree with the OP in his post. I also have to say....the mag's skill curve is high. Lower level BRs tend to treat it like a tank tank and try to push with it at close range. Well more seasoned guys will sit further back and focus wounded armor and infantry to let the other unit's push in. It translates to more kills when in the hands of more experienced crews. The Vanguard is designed to be a damage sponge and the Prowler is a brawler, or sniper. So the KPU at @100 makes sense at least to me. Mags are just trash in un-experienced hands. But with some experience they are pretty amazing vehicles. This OP obviously has no idea how to use them correctly. Though I still wish we had more velocity on our main gun. That arc is downright silly :-(