In case you were curious, PS4 populations are already in a dire state

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by WorldOfForms, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Iridar51

A shooter that was obviously gonna fail on a console due to not being casual enough has failed on a console? Who would have guessed! Not to mention shooters are terrible to play on a console in general... Just like every other game. Hooray consoles. Great job on wasting everyone's time, SOE.
    • Up x 4
  2. Vivicector

I remember talking about the need of proper metagame a loooong time ago. Shooting things and driving things becomes boring just by itself.

What amazed me in PS1 were logistics and its importance. Supplies, forward repair bases (made by players), base blockades and energy raids, generator hold specops, hacking, infecting bases with viruses and many other things. It all added depth to a game. Something to pay attention to besides shooting tanks with a tank, shooting people with a tank, shooting tank with RPG, etc...

P.S. I was against the lattice links in PS2 cause it removed most tactical possibilities besides zerging.
    P.P.S. How do people even play FPS with gamepads? And who would ever need FPS with aim help? I don't get it.
    • Up x 2
  3. Pikachu

Low vs pop? You will not get much sympathy here. Most TR and NC players hates vanu.

Back in the day people here said the PS4 version was an awesome idea because console does not require lots of expensive hardware and would be more popular than the PC.

Edit:
    A short review by Gamespot on the ps4 version.
    • Up x 1
  4. RykerStruvian

Thats the thing...PS2 is awesome but theres so many things wrong with it that it becomes a fight of trying to overlook those downsides. But when you have so many stupid bugs and then other BS stuff like PC players and console players requiring to have two separate subscriptions, it just completely overshadows the game.

And its really frustrating since I wanted PS2 to succeed and do well, but it just seems like SOE/DBG is set on doing things to make the gameplay experience as frustrating as possible. Like today, I was talking to a friend about what we should play over the weekend, and I wanted to play PS2. But after looking over everything, it simply does not make sense for us to invest our time or money in it in consideration of the state the game is in.

The PS4 release was supposed to be the saving grace, but it looks like it fell -way- short of anyone's expectations. I don't know, I'm trying to find something else to play. I've seriously considered just sticking with ARK and Payday 2 since Dirty Bomb is supposed built on an awful p2w model.

Oh well.
  5. Pikachu

I think a big reason for the low quality is that the game was rushed out after only 18 months of development. Regular games take like 5 years to make. I think SOE said somewhere that balancing takes away lots development time.
  6. FieldMarshall

"Developing your games after release to keep people interested. Aint nobody got time for dat, bring out the next game instead"
    -SOE
    • Up x 2
  7. RykerStruvian

Yeah, I think Higby said that during his final interview. For what the dev team had to do, which was built a game from scratch while the engine was being built from scratch alongside it, what they did was INCREDIBLE. The work they did was amazing and I have no idea how they managed to pull it off besides through sweat and tears. They did a fantastic job and shouldn't feel bad about it in the least bit and ought to be recognized for their accomplishment.

But from our perspective as a consumer/player/etc, we're interested in the now. And not everyone can say that kind of thing is acceptable. To be honest, I've been playing since the first wave beta invites, only switching to an off/on gaming style by fall 2013. I think to have played the game for so long and to have dumped so much money into it out of faith goes to show how some people feel about PS2.

And this is STILL in spite of the things SOE had done during that time to us and to me. I've had to argue with friends over PS2 in order for them to see things as to how I want to them to see it, which was to excuse SOE of any faults with the game or their marketing strategy. But in return, I've got nothing except to get screwed persistently. The last dagger on SOEs part was when they had the two-year anniversary sale where people got things for free, a bug, and before the sale ended there was another 'bug' which got the sale rolled over to cyber monday and people bought the anniversary package at a steep discount. And all SOE did was shrug.

So in a way, I'm both happy Planetside 2 is going up in flames as the Hindenburg, because guess what, you did it to yourself SOE. At the same time, I wish things weren't so and I wish they would get better. And the thing is these feelings carry over to anything SOE/DBG works on. I've been interested in H1Z1 and trying it out, but I know better than to spend my money on it or anything SOE/DBG has to offer since I'll probably only get screwed.
  8. eldarfalcongravtank

well what did you expect? from a new player's perspective the game might be fresh, very large, epic and free. but from a vet's perspective, the game suffers from performance issues, gamebreaking bugs, dated graphics, lack of content and lack of longterm goal/meta game.

we should enjoy the game while we still can. only a matter of time until all remaining servers are shutdown. that doesnt mean i want the game to fail though! i love PS2! but we gotta accept the fact that PS2 didnt turn out as successful as we wanted it to be... blame the spoiled "omg i wunna run around shotin stuff" CoD generation which turned any modern fps game into a low-quality twitch shooter with limited lifetime.
    • Up x 1
  9. Atis

Game was not well-advertised 2.5 years ago neither 2 weeks ago. How were they gonna compete with hundreds of online games with little to no promotion? As I said many times, cheap banners at all big MMO portals with "Combined arms shooter with 2000 players per map" would do wonders. Many potential players have no idea what PS2 is.
  10. Carl1879

The state of the whole PS4 release probably didn't help too, everyone's main complaint during the beta was "voice chat does not work" they said it was fixed but didn't let us test the fix until release and lo and behold it didn't work. The lack of communication (unless you use reddit apparently) is also a turn off for newer players for example some weapons are still just MIA where they are has been asked many times and on the forums the devs still haven't acknowledged that. Not to mention it took about 2 days after the release before anyone could play in the EU. Then there is the complete lack of advertising, if I didn't know when it was coming out thanks to this site it would have easily been overlooked. Plus the current state probably has allot of people sitting it out till they are fixed. If you want a squad of 12 you have to deal with voice comms that either A dont work at all or B still seem to cause random crashes. The crap UI and the friendslist + squad invites + false numbers in squad glitches also mean a squad leader spends most of the time just trying to get people in the squad. Simply driving/running anywhere is a coin toss on your survival chances as most stuff doesn't render until your either right next to it (infantry) or you are inside it causing instant death (vehicles) I think this game is great and me and my outfit are getting some great new recruits to keep building but fighing an uphill battle against the game itself does not help matters. If this was an open beta I think people would be more forgiving but a full release this bad turns people off very quickly. Apologies for the rant just trying to give some of the guys who may not have played the PS4 version our view.

@Iridar claiming the game will fail because its not casual enough for console gamers is an over simplification, you are implying that all console players only play COD and all that crap is just stupid some of us prefer deeper games just as some PC players might prefer more casual games. Generalizing people's gaming prefernces based on what system they play on usually only leads to flaming and trolling from either side so I would caution you not to make such generalized assumptions.
  11. Firejack

This is one of my biggest problems too. I'd play the game more but outside peak hours its hard to find a fun fight.

I still can't understand why Daybreak doesn't allow us to choose the server we want to play on. Right after we log in and select our character we should be able to pick any server. That way during quieter hours we could at least all gather on one server to have a more entertaining experience.

I'd also like to see Daybreak reduce the number of contestable bases during off peak hours. There should be fewer active lattice links between enemy territories when the continent population is low. This way you'd actually get to fight people instead of capturing undefended bases.

I was one who got the anniversary package free. It was actually removed a week or two later.
  12. n0pax

You sir have absolutely brilliant suggestions and I wish so much that DBG would use them or they at least gained traction on the forums. Unfortunately instead you need to brace yourself for a bombardment of "L2p" and the population is fine responses from players who play 30 minutes a week at primetime.

I actually somewhat recently made a post about this and it turned into one player accusing me or not playing at those hours because there are lots of battles on both continents. He expanded on it by stating the rebelscum statistics are broken and only shows a fraction of the online players.

That said I totally agree with you, just the vast majority of PS2 users are hyper casuals or have just come to accept this short coming and given up hope of it being addressed. They play under 2 hours a week and only at reasonable hours therefore they do not care about this nor can they understand how big of an issue it is.
  13. Farlion

Sums up my opinion perfectly.
  14. Crator

I LOLed....

Not certain I necessarily agree with the casual comment. Isn't the problem with the console that there's rendering issues and other bugs? But I do agree that they spent too much time developing the game for the PS4 when that time could have been spent making the game itself better.
  15. sustainedfire

A lot of people posting in this thread need more fiber on their diet.

You like the game or not. Writing such negative statements, on the message board of the game you hope dies like all the people on the hindenberg is a bit of an oxymoron.

If you hate the game, why bother still coming to the board, and posting? Surely you must have some other game you like and can contribute to productively?
  16. Cheetoh

All that time and money wasted on PS4.
  17. JustBoo

Umm...
    Team Fortress 2,
    DOTA 2,
    and of course WoW,
    etcetera....
    • Up x 1
  18. JustBoo

This unfounded obsession that if something is "OLD" then it is feces is ridicules. I guess that is why mathematics is passe?

As far as I can tell, a huge number of games on cell phones are just old games remade for cell phones. I just posted a reply with other "old" games that refute this millennial obsession.

There are issues with PS2 that bar people from playing, but it isn't because its "old." PS2 has a high degree of difficulty for new players. That is forgotten by the "old" players. :) The issues are discussed to death here, I won't rehash them. But old isn't it. Enjoy.
    • Up x 2
  19. sustainedfire

So you're saying that being outpopped does not suck, but what does suck is there are no good fights available?

They are two correlated happenings my friend.

Being outpopped means you have limited ways in how to engage the enemy. As well as limited locations that are possible to attempt to fight.

And if you do find the one fight on the map that has relatively close faction percentage- at any moment you can be swarmed by the overpop and the fight is ruined.

I'm speaking with the experience of 3 servers worth of VS BS. Soltech, Mattherson, Emerald.

Being outpopped is terrible, regardless of how you spin it- no amount of extra Xp makes it worth the limitations of having up to 4-1 odds.
  20. Konstantinn

And which one of them has more active players than they did in the first year or 2 of their existence? Or do you believe games age like fine wine and cheese, gaining in value with age? There might have been few that beat that rule temporarily by some kind of expansion/huge update, but as we all know that's not the case with Planetside.

Good try.