What do you all think of the Tank Mine changes?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ronjahn, Jun 27, 2015.

1. ColonelChingles

Blasts don't do very much against tanks unless there is direct energy transfer that results in spalling. HESH rounds try to do this by directly plastering the side of a tank with explosives, and then detonating the explosives that are smeared on the tank. This direct contact releases energy to the armor so that shards of the armor inside the tank break off and kill or injure the crew.

Setting an explosion next to a tank is usually not going to have the same effect (unless it is a particularly gigantic explosion).

As for fragmentation, that pretty much has a negligible chance to penetrate armor as well.

So sure AT mines should kill infantry and wound MAXes, but they shouldn't do any damage to MBTs unless those MBTs drive right over the thing.
  2. PWGuy93

I love the change.
    Playing Infiltrator and throwing in EMP grenades is paradise now with all the exploding enemy mines that people are dropping to stop incoming Maxes...
  3. Vixxing

I contested your statement "Honestly AT mines shouldn't have much of an explosive radius... because most AT mines direct their penetrating power upwards in a small area." witch in a thread about "tankmines vs infantry and MAXxes" means INFANTRY and Maxxes in a small radious around the triggering MAX would be safe... due to the nature of tankmines IRL wich i proved was complete BS... (i dont know why you keep saying VEHICLES should not die in big clusters around tankmines... i really dont, it completly baffles me)
  4. ColonelChingles

Maybe it would have helped if you read my post in its entirety. I'll requote the relevant part here:

And there I am referring to the non-EFP effects of an AT mine.

The EFP portion right above the mine would be what is dangerous to tanks. So if a tank rolls right over the mine, it would take damage. But if the tank rolls right next to the mine, it should not take damage. This is because AT mines work by directing an EFP directly over them. Anything else is harmless (to tanks).

On the other hand the explosive damage should hurt or kill MAXes and infantry. MAXes because they should be less heavily armored than tanks, and infantry because in PS2 they're essentially naked.

When speaking of other vehicles, like Lightnings or Sunderers, then they fall some place in-between. Directly driving over an AT mine would be bad news, but only being in the secondary explosive radius ought to be more survivable. Again, because AT mines work by projecting an EFP directly above themselves.
    • Up x 1
  5. ronjahn

Thanks for the input. My whole goal of this thread is to make tank mines exclusive to being used against tanks and other vehicles, like they were originally designed to do. They definitely do that job well if you have decent planning and placement spots.

As you get better and have more experience you will begin to notice how easy it can be to bunny hop through a room of oblivious enemies while dropping mines and also getting away with a ton of other shenanigans that a new Player might see as impossible or extremely difficult. It's mostly due to lag that you can do what I describe in the OP, but nevertheless I see it as an unnecessary change and feel like they overlooked the fact that tank mines are extremely dangerous to infantry.
  6. BITES

Except they can't, and aren't the same mechanics ... you're really doing yourself a disservice if you think that ... C4 has a deploy and then detonate function, eg there is SOME delay prior to death.

Tank mines go off instantly, even before they hit the ground .... unable to avoid it .. unable to counter it.

This in additon to the fact C4 can be mitigated via Flak ... whereas tank mines currently CANNOT ... quickly shows that your inability to understand this VERY big difference from the PoV of the MAX is whats causing your points to be invalid.

How about the bit where you're just wrong and your subsequent "smugness" makes it that much worse?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/3bv6vh/pls_fix_eodhud_thanks/cspxwzr

"EOD is fantastic for avoiding Anti-Infantry mines. If you're having an issue with mines on your vehicle, that's what min guard was made for"
  7. Iridar51

Oh, little MAXes having problems with cheesy tactics? :rolleyes: How cute. I honestly couldn't care less about MAXes' problems.
  8. lothbrook

I wouldn't bother with Iridar, the guy literally plays one class with 1 loadout 99% of the time, if his loadout isn't optimal for any situation its OP and should be nerfed.

But this is just more of the same catering only to infantry play as we've been seeing for years, if it kills infantry expect infantry to get some ******edly OP weapon to use against it or it to be nerfed against infantry, every vehicle in the game has gone through this, now its the maxes turn i guess, with mini insta detonating nukes and long range sniper rifles, lol.
  9. FateJH

Then please recuse yourself from this topic. You have already freely admitted to being unable to get beyond your anti-MAX bias once or twice in previous threads, probably gleefully.
  10. Iridar51

A guy using obviously broken thing every day complains about something else being obviously broken.
    A guy who lives on running up to people and one shotting them complains about people running up to him and one shotting him.
    A guy who thinks if he lets a puny engineer run up and throw a mine below his crutch suit feet doesn't deserve to die a horrible death.

Sorry, I don't think I can recuse myself. This topic is just too hilarious. At this point it's not even about my bias, it's about blatant ineptitude and lack of a shred of skill. The flak armor should be fixed, that much I can admit.
  11. Akashar

My thought is: Tank mines should have no splash damage at all, and should only work when a vehicle rolls over it. Arguably, for obvious balance reasons, a hovering vehicle should trigger them also. The catch is, a max walking on one would instantly trigger it and die an horrible and painful death, while any other people would be unscathed. The reason behind it is that AT mines, nowadays at least but I guess since we still use C4 it's the same on Auraxis they also did not change much, are mostly shaped charges, that melt the armor of tanks but have no real AOE. Everybody is happy. Speaking of wich, damages dealt by C4 should be treated reeeaaally in another way against armored vehicles, as the front plate of any modern mbt can endure any on these puny bricks, for as long as you need. You should have to place it on a few weak spots on a tank to ensure its destruction.
  12. FateJH

If your complaint is primarily against NC MAXes using anti-Infantry arms, then this thread has a much wider scope than the complaint.

But that first line is just endemic of the problem of your attempted contribution. "I think MAXes are stupid and any argument that could benefit MAXes, even in a small way, is also stupid," in fewer words than you'd probably articulate, admittedly.

I disagree with Flak Armor changes for AT Mines. MAXes are quasi-Vehicles; if they are afforded some of the benefits of Vehicles sometimes, they have to suffer some of the limitations of Vehicles too (granted, Vehicles can equip Mineguard but the trade offs between C4 asi-is and AT Mines with an arming timer, for anti-MAX duty, seem fair). What AT Mines need is their arming timer restored. Exploding because they were shot after being thrown down is fine too.
  13. UberNoob1337101

Lel, I agree to a degree with everyone. A MAX should die from stepping on a mine, but I find the radius too big, you can literally clear a room with a single AV mine if you yoloswag with the engineer.. If they reduce the instagib radius of it to something reasonable like 4m-3m, it would be fine. As of now, you can murder everyone in a room that was at least 6m close to the mine.
  14. Pointyguide2

ya thanks for telling us how tank mines actually work
    but unfortunately nothing is like real life in planetside
    maybe fortuneately?
    I don't know. whatever
    keep discussing people
  15. Wolfenstian

So I never used Tank Mines before this so I figured it was time to unlock and try these scenarios. The first thing I did after unlocking was try suicidal rushing in buildings and throwing the Tank Frisbees at a MAX's face. The results were far better than what I ever expected, I not only killed the MAX unit who already killed me, I also killed his engineer and all other NC "foolish" enough to follow the strong push (two others).

Normally I don't like to complain about things being OP but that blast radius and damage are far too great for the area I used them in. I am fine with killing the MAX (an arm timer would help though to give those MAX players a chance at life) but I should have not been able to kill the others who were not even that close. Right now I feel they are too strong when used indoors as the radius and damage are far greater when compared to other indoor explosives. You can't just take something designed for wide open areas and large armoured targets and allow its use indoors with no downsides.

Personally I would give it an arm timer, this wont affect its usefulness against vehicles but it will give MAX units a fair chance instead of taking a Frisbee to the face and dying. Added on to that it might be a good idea to have two different triggers, say if any vehicle triggers it then the mine will act normally but if a MAX triggers it then the radius is heavily reduced and maybe the damage as well (probably not damage if the timer is added).

Overall I like the change but I just feel like it is more tacked on than anything else with how the only thing changed was that the trigger includes MAXs with no consideration for how it affects indoor play. Needs a few changes but I am not against them working on MAXs, just how they work with anyone wishing to help the MAX in a push.
  16. Hatesphere

all we need is the arm timer, separate explosive damage/radius for maxes vs vehicles is a bit much (and extra work). Arm timer will prevent using it like a nade, which is the only real problem. if you are following a max and he stumbles into a pre-placed mine it should go boom like normal.
  17. Wolfenstian

All I really want is the timer, the other stuff is just a bonus if needed but it would be best to add the timer first and see how that goes with time. Suicidal runs against MAX units and allies are just too strong at the moment.
    • Up x 1
  18. ronjahn

I hardly ever use max. Its my least played class.
    How many shotguns have you auraxiumed?
    Actually I'm the puny engineer running up to maxes and walking away with cheap and easy kills.

Your assumptions and biases not only make your arguments weak, they make you look like an ***hole for attacking my skill level without even the slightest bit of research or evidence, when I haven't said a single thing to offend you. I wrote this thread after spending a few days getting hundreds of kills with tank mines, I maybe died 2-3 times to it since the change. I know it may be hard to comprehend, but sometimes people may make balance suggestions that are not directly intended to make the game easier for them personally.
  19. Pikachu

I have not noticed any difference other than seeing a MAX die to a tank mine in a biolab.
  20. Iridar51

I've auraxiumed 3 shotguns, one of the pump action, and not particularly proud of it. They are pretty terrible as a weapon class, though.

I'm sorry for personally attacking you. You are a fluffy bunny and not a terrible monster I made you out to be.

Whatever I posted in this thread shouldn't be considered some sort of intelligent argument or attempt to make a point. I was just expressing pent up hatred, and I didn't mean to personally attack you as ronjahn the forum member. It was more of a lunge in general direction of MAXes, and not meant against you specifically. Again, I apologize.

Doesn't really change my view, though. Anyone pulling a MAX deserves to die a horrible death. Tank mine under feet is just as good as anything else.
    • Up x 1