Massive SLI stutter

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Dragam, Jun 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Mogul

GDDR5 uses multiple clocks:
    A command clock (CCK) and a write clock (WCK), which is double the CCK
    And than there is the rated clock which is 4x the CCK

For Example:
    My VMEM runs normally at 1502/3004/6008 MHz
    I have Overclocked it150/30/600 MHz higher.
    is clocked to 1652/3304/6608 MHz.
    This is what some programs report:
    [IMG]
    (since I'm from germany my computer runs in german and the programs, too. But the )
    • So 3 programs report 1652 MHz (command clock)
    • 3 programs report 3304 MHz (write clock)
    • And the graphics driver is the only one that reports 6608 MHz. (effective clock)
      • And calls it "memory data rate"
    And for the microstuttering with SLI:
    That is a problem that is reported since the initial release of the technology and also applies to crossfire.
    A possible solution is to change from Alternate Frame Rendering to Scan Line Interleave or Split Frame Rendering.
    And perhaps. the Asynchronus Shaders and Unified Memory technology will help with that.
    • Up x 2
  2. chevyowner

You can dream... I actually just forgot to add you to ignore. I did not see this again until today. Now I will add you to ignore, and keep using probably the only PC where SLI helps, and does not have noticeable issues. It also from your statements has better performance the your 780s...
    • Up x 1
  3. Dragam

Lord_mogul : You are correct in regards to vram frequencies, but not in regards to sli. Microstutter WAS a general problem with sli years ago, but these days barely any game suffers from noticable sli stutter - planetside 2 is one of the few games that does have very noticable sli stuttter.

Chevyowner : all i can say is : lol...
    • Up x 3
  4. chevyowner

I know that. However I tend to react badly, and say things wrong. If information is left out, someone even if the don't bother saying anything will misunderstand what was trying to be said.
    • Up x 2
  5. Lord_Mogul

IT was no offense.
    There are just online always people that either don't know, or don't wann to know.

But good to hear that SLI has come a long way and is not almost free of microstutters.
    haven'tread about it for a long time (my 8800s back then were awful in SLI)
    • Up x 1
  6. chevyowner

No offense taken.

SLI has improved a lot. My PC as it is now is the second time I have used SLI. The first time was horrible, the 7950 GX2s were somewhat decent alone, but complete garbage in SLI. Then again IIRC those were the first dual GPU cards NVIDIA made.
    • Up x 2
  7. Pointyguide2

oh so many people here that don't have the correct information
    but they somehow develop their own information inhouse and then advertise it as fact.
  8. Pointyguide2

I support dragam
  9. Dragam

Ty Pointy - now lets get this thread back on track.

While the HUD is enabled, it still causes massive stuttering with sli enabled - disable either, and the stuttering goes away.

Could we please get a SOE response to this? Surely its something you can Work upon, with nvidia being your partner and all.
  10. chevyowner

It's not an election.

I stand by what I said that it is not running at 8ghz.

Just like CPUz reports the DRAM frequency for DDR3 1333 as 667mhz it is DDR, and 667*2=1333
    DDR or Double Data Rate at 667mhz will effectively be 1333mhz.
    Now I'll use a GTX 660. GPUz report the memory at 1502. Well it is DDR5 1502*2=3004.
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660/specifications

PS
    GDDR5 is a type of synchronous graphics RAM, or it can read and write at the same time. This means that at 3004mhz you can effectively have 6008mhz, but it is not the same thing as 6ghz read speed. You are still limited by the 3004mhz read speed. Even if you can read and write 3004mhz at the same time unless the you are loading new textures/etc. it is just reading them. Until new textures/etc. are loaded aka written to VRAM it will be limited by the read speed 3004mhz.
    • Up x 1
  11. Pointyguide2

and dragam knows they do not run at 8000
    he knows its called an effective rate.
  12. chevyowner

That not what he told me, but you may interpret it differently.
  13. Dragam

Chevyowner, not only do you appear to be severely mentally challenged, you also come across as truely pathetic - piss out of the thread, if you dont have anything to contribute with to the topic of the thread.
  14. Pointyguide2

I don't even know why you are arguing about memory speeds.
  15. StarzSpirit

Okay, now they brought up using different SLi profiles, but I have found that using an older method of SLi works better for me in games that have shotty SLi stability. Try using Split-Frame Rendering(SFR) instead of AFR or AFR2(Alternate-Frame Rendering). Supposedly you lose performance using this older method of SLi rendering, but I've found that the performance loss is negligible compared to AFR.

In nVidia Inspector, you can easily adjust the SLi rendering mode, if you're familiar with the program. I get the same problem on my desktop computer back at home and it bothers the hell out of me, but using SFR for that computer eliminates the problem completely, and I don't notice any performance loss, minus the eradication of the stuttering.
    • Up x 1
  16. Pointyguide2

nvidia inspector is so nice
    you can change nearly everything in there.
    wish amd had a similar utility.
  17. chevyowner

Because I was over-reacting. Now it just needs to be dropped, but that has not happened yet.

SLI profiles and other changes that are free to try have been suggested. However the OP won't accept any of the ideas/solutions provided, and does not actually want help.
  18. Pointyguide2

Your not offering any real solutions at all.
  19. Pointyguide2

Hey Dragam in the Nvidia control panel try selecting the plabetsidex64 executable and set it's render frame ahead or whatever it's called to the max allowed and see if it works better or not
    This will also probably add a massive input lag.
    try it with the minimum setting too
  20. StarzSpirit

Most of these are not "solutions," but rather theories to try on your own rig. The post I submitted earlier is however a "solution" to the stuttering on my rig.

Here's two other forum discussions that also refer to SFR as being a stutter free option for SLi:
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/...t-and-will-directx-12-reduce-micro-stutters-/
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995-15.html

Think of it this way, you have the game and the overlay(hud). When using AFR, each graphics card produces its own frame in the pattern of evens and odds. So each card has to do a "full" render of both the game and the overlay(again hud) and when this happens it slows down the game since the game has to send a overlay update to a new location(the other graphics card) and this can cause stuttering. If you run SFR, both graphics cards are continuously polling for overlay updates which will result in smoother frame return to the monitor and less hitching(if any). Please give it a try, and provide constructive feedback to other fellow Planetsiders who also run SLi.

Here's a link for the nVidia Inspector for those of you who don't have it.
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.