Suspicious Behaviour - Planetside 2 want to accept connections from the internet

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Ian_M, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Ian_M

Hiya players
    Due to unfortunate issues with viruses I have become very sensible and fairly paranoid about what programs/games do.
    I am use the free zone alarm firewall with free avira antivirus after a reinstall of the OS and so far so good.
    They seem to the best combination in my opinion.
    Initially the game wants to access the internet - which makes good sense as its multiplayer and I allow this.
    A little later the Suspicious behaviour alert arrives.
    Can anyone explain this?
    It seems the game client want to act as some sort of server and its a concern.
    Is there something going on with the game we do not know about.
    I know there are many 'free' applications if you download then adware/viruses can be installed on your PC.

Any useful info?
  2. user101

PS2 requires you to turn off Virus protection on the game and also turn off the fire wall and add port numbers to your router for the audio and video... Yup they even run programs that read your memory in the PC for hacks...!

The one thing I can tell you is that PS2 is the best virus / malware detector on the internet. You don't have to worry about DBGC installing garbage on your PC...!
  3. fincher

It might help if you can tell us exactly what this suspicious behavior alert says. This is being spit up by zone alarm?
  4. FlR3

I run my virus protection (ESET) and a hardware and software firewall 24/7 and have no issues with PS2.
    • Up x 1
  5. day ofm one

Kaspersky is 100% fine with PlanetSide2.
  6. Kirppu1

Malwarebytes

Zone alarm sucks, use windows firewall
  7. user101

If some one turns you in for hacking even by accident and DBGC can not read your PC because of the firewall or virus protection you will get a big nasty EMAIL that you will not like. And you will be begging & asking to be reinstated. That has happened several times in the past. Don't say that I did not warn you....!
  8. Ian_M

Well Windows firewall utterly sucks. A factor in why I got virus infections in the first place.
    As for planetside 2
    It seems I could do 2 options.
    1/ Keep the firewall on paranoid mode and risk a possible ban from the game which likely could be resolved.
    2/ Tone down the firewall settings and risk - my bank account being plundered, identity theft and/or my PC use in a denail of service attack getting me into more trouble.
    I think I will go for option 1.

There is NOOOOO WAY i am turning off virus protection for any game.

Is there anyone with actual knowledge of the game development have any info on this - as in someone working for the company.
  9. Ian_M

The title of the post is exactly what zonelarm comes out with on a small window. It has the option to accept or not, I click no for sure. Why would a game be acting like a server of some sort?
  10. user101

Unless you exclude the EXE files of PS2 you will have terrible game play with lag. PS2 sends and receives so much data your AV will be working over time. Sames for the Fire-Wall... I have both running AV & Firewall running on my PC also, but I exclude all PS2 files. You can keep AV & FW running but you still need the UDP & TCP in your router also... to make this game work.

This game is not like other games -- PS2 is one of a kind... I have been playing this since beta... this game is big bad and ugly and sucks up CPU time. They upload tons of files every time you play... get use to it.

If you ever get over being paranoid you will have a lot of fun in PS2.
  11. fincher

Are you using voice comm? Perhaps if you disable it the request for inbound will cease.
  12. FlR3

I wouldn't even care if somebody came to my home and searched my computer for cheats cause they would never find any. I have never cheated and never will. Cheaters are lowlifes and have ruined every great game out there. I have been against cheaters since UT2004 days, helped ban them, demo recorded them and turned them in, turned in their websites and filled a few hard drives with demos of cheaters. I deleted every last one of them and just got tired of finding them. I challenge anybody to ever find a cheat on my machines.

Hell I even banned my own son from the internet (years ago) because I caught him cheating. I don't believe in it as it teaches nothing, it gains nothing except makes people lazy and dependent on a script/program to do the work for them. If they ban me for something I will never do then it will their loss cause they will lose my money and a honest player. I have allowed PS2 thru my firewalls and they can search to their hearts content. I can care less if they ban me, BUT if they do ban me for nothing and have allowed players/cheaters to stay here since Beta days and are lvl 100's and still cheating then something is really wrong.
  13. Ian_M

It seems you are correct. I turned off voice and no alerts. As soon as I turned it on, the little window popped up. Thanks for the tip. I will allow it to connect as I now know what/why.
  14. Ian_M

Interesting reply.
    I can play the game just fine. Was just concerned about what the game was doing with the firewall alerts which turns out is not a problem. It pays to be paranoid when doing anything on the internet in my opinion. Feel free to bury your head in the sand if you wish.
  15. Kirppu1

You need to watch what kinda **** are you watching, and after that you need help. Windows firewall is more than enough to keep connections at bay there is no need to be this paranoid
    • Up x 1
  16. Napsterbater

I sorta agree, I doubt the firewall "failing" is why you got a virus, you probably downloaded or otherwise caused your own infection.
    • Up x 1
  17. Gammit

It doesn't sound like Zone Alarm will do anything more for you than what Windows firewall will do. As much as Windows Firewall "sucks," as does Zone Alarm.
  18. Ian_M

I am sure most people have virus issues sometimes. Some can be on your computer for a while before being detected as the antivirus producers have not discovered them yet. Zonealarm is not the greatest but it suits my needs for now. Its probably smart to pay for a good one. I am looking at maybe comodo instead. When I said it pays to be paranoid when doing things on the internet, I mean that literally in terms of $. There is also the factor of wasted time & stress trying to deal with them especially if you use your computer for any kind of business purpose.
  19. Kirppu1

You aren't supposed to play vidya on your work computer
  20. HotPepperDelivery

This is a stupid comment i have ever heard. turning off your antivirus and firewall security while playing game is like leaving your house for a vacation without locking your door or even turn on security camera for monitoring suspicious activity. Matter of fact, why don't you just set PS2 game for antivirus and firewall exclusion? Turning off your protections will give cybercriminal a chance to access your PC without you noticing, and this is why firewall were developed.