Massive SLI stutter

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Dragam, Jun 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragam

Right, so ive been playing this game more or less since the start, but had a 1 year break from the game... so i came back, and the stuttering with sli is MASSIVE, while it was working perfectly 2 years ago...

So im thinking, are you Guys experiencing the same? If not, do you have a custom profile for sli?

It should be noted that the game is completely fluid with sli disabled, and that game is running full ultra at 1440p, on rig in signature.
  2. chevyowner

I was not a few weeks ago, but I have been playing Skyrim (again) recently instead of PS2. I see your PC is similar to mine. I will have to log in for a while and check it now.

Update
    Nope no stutter.

Update 2
    I don't have a custom profile for SLI.
    The only thing I have done that is different then what most do is enable dual x16 PCIE gen3 for SLI. NVIDA does not support it, but for me it improves performance in games.

See here
    http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3135/~/geforce-gen3-support-on-x79-platform
  3. amigafan2003

SLI doesn't work in PS2 anymore - disable it (you can do it on a "per app" basis in the Nvidia control panel).
  4. chevyowner

For em at least it was fixed at the same time as the recent multi-threaded improvements. Before that I had it disblaed for PS2 only. Now I have enabled it again, and get better performance on higher settings then before.
  5. Dragam

"SLI doesn't Work in PS" anymore"

Aha, and you know this from personal experience, or just from the crap being written by random people?

SLI DOES Work, but simply causes alot of stuttering for me.

Chevyowner : interesting... i do have pcie 3.0 enabled aswell, running in 16x.

But its actually the same thing on my gf's computer, which is using an i5 4690k and 680 sli... the fps goes up / gpu load goes Down with sli enabled, but it just introduces tons of micro stuttering. Perhaps im just very sensitive to it, but i didnt suffer from it a year ago.
  6. chevyowner

I forgot I had done this when posting yesterday. I was using MSI Afterburner to set a custom fan curve, but at some point I noticed that the GPUs were getting hotter then I wanted (trying to keep the room cooler) So I set the power limit to 90%. For my PC at least I get better performance with 90% power limit, and much cooler temperature for both GPus.
  7. user101

SLI & Nvidia New driver 353.30 -- SLI Nvidia states that SLI cards that are not "factory matched" much have there frequency of the cards set by the owner and some tools software to work correct.

You can not even have the same two cards bought at separate times... You must match the internal card clocks to be the same.

This fixes SLI hitching... so they say. They have a big write up on this in the PDF file of 353.30
  8. Dragam

Chevyowner : That hardly has anything to do with stuttering. But yes, lowering the power limit will make your gpu's run cooler... and perform worse.

User101 : /facepalm... you do realize that when they are speaking of internal clocks, they are talking about FREQUENCIES of the core and vram, and NOT time of purchase...

And yes, obviously the frequencies of the gpu's need to be the same for optimal performance...

Right, i didnt expect to get an useful answer from this forum, but dear god...
  9. user101

No -- that is not what Nvidia said... they have "factory matched" card sets. And you can set the clock rate of the cores.
    Just go read the PDF file... I could care less since I only have a single card. but in the future I'll make sure if I go SLI that both cards are just about the same in the freq cores. Not one running some high over clocked freq and another running some other over clocked freq at some lower freq.

How it read to me - is tweek the card freq until the jitter stops....
  10. Dragam

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  11. chevyowner

I am not going to say you are wrong, and be a jerk like you have. I lied

As I said before...
    For my PC at least it does.

I am aware the I have them listed as 660s, but I don't see it worth bragging about pre-overclocked GPUs. They are some version of an EVGA GTX 660 SuperClocked.
    Both GPUs have the same clocks they are as reported by both GPUZ, and MSI Afterburner.
    GPU clock 1046mhz
    Memory 1502mhz
    Boost 1111mhz
    Both cards have EVGA BIOS version 80.06.58.00.60
    Both cars are running in PCIE gen3x16, when without the enabler tool I linked to earlier they both ran at gen2x16
    At 90% power limit both cards reach a maximum of ~70C
    At 100% both cards will reach 80C+

When people ask me what I think of SLI My answer is..
    If you are willing to put the time and effort into making it work for what you want, and if you already a GPU that is SLI capable then it can be a cheaper option for more performance. Even then depending on the GPU you have it may not be worth it. If you are not willing to put in the extra effort to make it work then no SLI is a bad idea, it is not plug and play.

From what I see OP you are not willing to put in the extra effort needed to make SLI work for you.

As I see you must play this game the GPU specs in you signiture are wrong. I know NVIDIA lists "memory clock" in Gbps (GigaBits/Second) Bits/Second and Mhz are not the same thing. Now you put you memory at 8000, but you don't list the manufacturer of the GPU just the chip set developer. Now according to NVIDIA the GTX 780 TI has a 7Gbps "memory clock", but your 8000 if we assume you mean megabits/second is still wrong.

I'm not even going to go into the difference between Hz and bits.
    • Up x 2
  12. Dragam

Right, i should not have asked a question in regards to sli profiles here, cause apparently thats a town in russia for the common ps2 gamer.

Fyi, if you do not know why i have my gpu's listed as having 8000 MHz on the vram, then you should not be attempting to answer tech questions regarding gpu's.
    • Up x 1
  13. chevyowner

You should not ask tech questions if you are unwilling to consider the answers you get, but you can join the rest of the trolls here and fun on ignore.
    • Up x 1
  14. Pointyguide2

do you remember years ago people switched the sli profile to some other games I think it was alan wake. you should try searching up old stuff and see if that works.
    • Up x 1
  15. Dragam

Pointyguide2 : yeah precisly, i remember people used profiles from other games, but i couldnt remember which ones :p

I will try and look it up, and cheers for the heads up! :)
    • Up x 1
  16. Dragam

Right, i have narrowed it into a single thing causing the stuttering, on both computers... the HUD.

Apparently for some reason, when using sli, having the HUD enabled makes the game stutter like beaten dog, while it doesnt (to the same degree) affect single Card performance.

Pressing control + f10 to remove the HUD makes the stuttering go away instantly, press control + f10 to get the HUD back, and the stuttering is back aswell.

Been tested on following 2 rigs:

i7 4930k, 780 ti sli, win 7

i5 4690k, 680 sli, win 8.1

Does anyone know of a solution to the HUD issue?
    • Up x 1
  17. Pointyguide2

Here is a person with sli stutters just like you. I believe he seems to be having the same problem as you.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/38asac/gtx_980_in_2way_sli_4k_hud_on_horrible/ I can't find any solutions except try HUD off.
    • Up x 1
  18. Dragam

Yeah, its precisly the same issue.

Surely this is something that SOE should be able to fix, as its purely the HUD causing the microstuttering with sli.

Its funny how they respond to all that kinds of stuff on social media, but not on their own support site -_-
    • Up x 1
  19. chevyowner

Yes, I know why you think that is correct, but thats not how DDR works. By your logic 1333 DDR3 that is reported to the system as 667mhz would actually run at effective rate of 2001mhz not the actual 1333 it does in reality.
    • Up x 1
  20. Dragam

Lol, now you come back and reply to that part... did you use the past week googling how it works? If so, do it some more.

The effective mhz of a stock 780 ti is 7000 mhz as its gdd5, with the actual mhz being 1750 mhz... my gpu is OC'ed on the vram to an effective 8000 mhz, or an actual frequency of 2000 mhz.

That you couldnt instantly comprehend the above just tells me that you shouldnt attempt to give any tech advice.
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.