[Suggestion] NS Main battle tank

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by cbplayer, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Hotbread

NO NO NO.
    Do not make an NS tank. No more NS vehicles or weapons! Stop taking away the faction originality!
    All an NS tank would do is make every tank fight even, and the same.
    The tanks are suppose to work best with different playstyles.
    Wanna charge in and ram things? Vanguard.
    Wanna stay atop a hill and bombard a base? Prowler.
    Wanna strafe from side to side and and engage targets while being really hard to hit? Magrider.
    • Up x 1
  2. cbplayer

wanna an all around tank that can do everything but is not particular great at anything?
    that a playstyle I would like

You can think of it adding more faction flavor because it's not like it's detracting from ES MBTs... you're just adding in a fourth faction.
  3. Dualice

My sentiments exactly.

I don't like that there's NS gunships and light tanks already.
  4. cbplayer

make es gunships and light tanks
    • Up x 1
  5. OldMaster80

We need less NS and more ES.
    Stop the NS madness, it's killing faction diversity.
  6. cbplayer

wtf is the problem with adding another play style?
    ns is a fourth faction that is entirely about flexibility
    think as it as the red mage in final fantasy.
    It doent make the other mages more similar, just add another playstyle
  7. FateJH

NS is just an excuse to reintroduce the concept of "common pool" weaponry and reduce the amount of development time needed to construct a new game asset to which that all factions have access.

In PlanetSide Classic, there are no vehicles more debased by this thought process than the Ground Transport vehicles and the Medium Assault Pistols (NC Spear representing). In the case of the vehicles, the GTs that should be faction specific only differ in mounted weaponry and faction color reskins. In the case of the pistols, the barrel is subtle in its difference but the pistols perform exactly the same way regardless of which faction. Even the damage profile chart doesn't lie about this ("MA Pistols"). At least the AMP is honest about its commonality.
  8. Certs-For-Days

There was supposed to be a huge, three man operated NS tank using the cannons you find near the control console of a tech plant called the Colossus. One person drove, the other two gunned. We havent seen anything official for a long time, but it would still be an NS tank. I would like to see the thing have only one terminal you could pull it from (and the terminal would be at a Tech Plant) and it would take all 750 Nanites to pull, and even then, still have an acquisition timer like the good old days. Also, you could only have 1 or 2 Colossus tanks on the battlefield for each faction at the same time. This would make it so we don't have Colossus zergs everywhere.

ATTENTION: I have a YouTube channel that is just starting out and I would love feedback/constructive criticism to improve my videos. Thanks for checking out my channel if you have the time. Here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/user/AnoculoptGaming
  9. Liewec123

i'm quite happy that the mbts are on of the few places where faction diversity still shines through.
    TR have their rapid fire pure dakka
    VS get their speed and manoeuvrability
    and NC get their slow but steady
    :)
    an NS MBT would just run that imho.
  10. ColonelChingles

But what you want isn't NS at all.

It's like... a HEAT cannon.

The NS faction flavor, apart from what should be NC options, is low DPS combined with high accuracy and mobility.

Adding in a "jack of all trades" MBT would run against NS faction flavor.
  11. Goretzu

The Vans extra surviability is largely a myth, the chassis toughness totally does not make up for the other downsides (as we saw when the Shield was bugged - Van statistical performance plummeted during that time). The Shield certainly works, but again especially since the nerf doesn't really make up for the other issues general performance-wise (although it does increase surviability - but you've still got to drive it conservatively like all other MBTs to survive, the Van doesn't drive through fire laughing at its ineffectiveness, it just maybe gets an extra "ha" in before it dies).

I like the idea of an NS MBT, but I just don't see much room for one between the Prowler and Van that isn't just subpar.

Given Dev time is limited I'd rather they went for an NS Heavy Tank.
  12. ColonelChingles

The Vanguard's survivability sans Shield is pretty poor. If I'm using an AP Lightning cannon and I'm shooting at a Vanguard or a Magrider/Prowler, these are my shots to kill:

Lighting AP cannon- 1,600 raw damage, 1,808 versus Vanguard and 1,840 versus Magrider/Prowler
    Vanguards resist 68% front, 65% side, 30% rear
    Magriders/Prowlers resist 63% front, 58% side, 30% rear
    All MBTs have 4,000 HP

Front STK
    Vanguard- 7
    Magrider/Prowler- 6

Side STK
    Vanguard- 7
    Magrider/Prowler- 6

Rear STK
    Vanguard- 4
    Magrider/Prowler- 4

So really the only difference is one hit to the front or sides... and when it comes to the rear Vanguards die the same as any other MBT.

There might be a few more tank classes to throw in the game... it just depends on how awesome we want the tank game to be.

Tankettes
    [IMG]

Super-tiny itty-bitty "tanks". Can resist small arms fire but that's about it. Pretty much a slower but less vulnerable Harasser meant to give a little extra anti-infantry or anti-tank firepower to a light infantry squad.

Cruiser Tanks
    [IMG]

Meant to go fast and to engage enemy rear elements. Stronger armor than a Light Tank lets it be more survivable, but not nearly as heavily armed or armored as medium tanks (what is today our MBTs).

Infantry Tanks
    [IMG]

Extremely heavily armored but relatively lightly armed (when it comes to facing other tanks). These were meant to travel slowly with an infantry squad and be pretty infantry-proof, returning fire with lighter anti-infantry weapons.

Heavy Tanks
    [IMG]

These tanks are meant to just trundle straight at the most heavily defended position the enemy has, shrug off hits with its extremely heavy armor, and return fire with some of the heaviest weapons available. Much tougher than MBTs, but slower and more expensive.

Tank Destroyers
    [IMG]

Whether using cannon fire or ATGMs, these vehicles (often not real tanks) provide a cost-effective way of combating enemy tanks. Don't usually have as much armor or survivability against other targets.

So yea... PS2 could add in any of these. Sure the MBTs might overlap a bit, but I think there's enough diversity with armored vehicles that there are definite roles to fill (for example, tanks that are completely invulnerable to infantry weapons).
    • Up x 1
  13. Dgross

Kills faction diversity
    • Up x 1
  14. Taemien

It also made the game BORING.

4 Red Mages. You get ok cures, ok damage, ok melee... meh.

No Flare, no Excalibur, no Holy. Just select fight until something gets low on HP then cure it and then throw an occasional black spell when you know something is weak against it.

That's what we're trying to avoid here. We want more diversity. More cool stuff, not bland. We need more ES vehicles that fill in niches and roles and new ones at that.
  15. RedArmy

They'd likly re introduce the BFRs or the Deliverers before doing a new NS MBT
  16. asmodraxus

Why do people insist on saying the magrider is the "fastest" or its a fragile speedster?

Its the slowest, slower than the Vanguard or the Prowler without using the Magboost, which isn't worth it compared to Fire suppression or smoke.
    • Up x 1
  17. Kirppu1

Yes, and that is the reason why you will easily wreck MBTs with it
  18. Goretzu

Yeah the only real evidence for Vanguards having anymore surviability at all is SOE having said it once (without much context), but that would almost certainly be with the shield.

I like the idea of a heavy tank/tank destroyer where the driver is not the main gunner, al la PS1, alternatively a very tough and slow but probably shorter range one (sort of MAX-like) might be interesting.

I think there's also quite a bit of scope for ES light tanks...... I just don't expect PS2 to have the Dev time for much ES stuff. :(
  19. Pikachu

Tankettes! :D Kinda cute.