[Suggestion] NS Main battle tank

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by cbplayer, Jun 22, 2015.

1. cbplayer

2. Iridar51

• Up x 3
  3. cbplayer

it still a fragile speedster.
  4. Iridar51

Everything is fragile when you don't know how to use it.
    • Up x 2
  5. cbplayer

lightnings are light armor tanks, plus they are faster than every mbt at 80kph
    • Up x 1
  6. ColonelChingles

I wouldn't be against a NS MBT... considering that it'd be more economical to buy cosmetics for it. :D You can think of it adding more faction flavor because it's not like it's detracting from ES MBTs... you're just adding in a fourth faction.

Then again, what are the NS "traits"?
    Commissioner, Underboss, Decimator, Hunter- hits very hard but shoots very slowly (really ought to be NC weapons)
    NS-7/MKV, Baron, NS-11A/C/15M2- accuracy at range
    Archer- anti-MAX
    Annihilator- flexibility

NS vehicles are all over the place... not too much in common that they have.

Anyhow, to me the NS flavor (apart from what should be NC-exclusive weapons) is ranged accuracy and mobility (now that the VS LMGs are getting mobility nerfs).

So it stands to reason that the NS MBT should be something that is more accurate while mobile, but that has a theoretical longer TTK compared to ES versions.

Give it a weaker cannon but with increased stability to allow the NS MBT to more easily deal with bumps (pretty much the tank equivalent of 0.75x ADS). The NS MBT will be best when actively driving to dodge incoming enemy fire (the tank equivalent of ADADing which Magriders already somewhat do) and flanking the enemy to get at the rear spot (the tank equivalent of aiming for the head).

Of course... that does rather sound like a Lightning. So maybe a beefed up 2 person Lightning? :p
    • Up x 1
  7. cbplayer

no, that is a magrider.
    point is there should be a tank with okish armor, okish speed, and okish firepower, not specifically good at anything, but gets the job done.
  8. ArcticRunner

Lightnings oughta look like this:

[IMG]

I think the faction-specific MBTs are a good thing, they keep gameplay interesting, and the faction armored tactics varied.
  9. Gemenai

If it's jack of all trades-like, like the lightings Viper then no thanks. This weapon was all purpose long time ago and it barely qualifies as AI.
  10. cbplayer

the viper being a jack of all trades is a bad example.
  11. eldarfalcongravtank

that's more like a mobile tank destroyer/gun system. however, in my eyes a Lightning is more akin to Infantry Fighting Vehicles (without the transport capability of infantry, sadly). for example, the Viper is a great HE autocannon which resembles the autocannon of modern-day IFVs pretty well.

[IMG]
  12. cbplayer

why does that tank has a piece of wood?
    • Up x 2
  13. ArcticRunner

That's a French AMX-10 light tank. Same role as the Lightning, and I think, what the Lightning ought to look like.

I would love for them to add a heavy IFV, same role as the Sunderer, maybe that can share turrets with the Lightning.
  14. y3ivan

because in soviet russia, you need a piece of timber to unstuck your tank in the mud
  15. teks

There really isn't a need for a third tank after the ES MBT and the lightning. If one's gonna be put in, its gonna need to do something better then 'average at everything'. Which always means it simultaneously sucks at everything. In no situation is it filling the gap for the empires.

The lightning can fill any tank role in a pinch, but its also the fastest tank with a low profile. As a result it really does fill this niche and it packs a good amount of survivability to those who can use it.
    • Up x 1
  16. Gemenai

Nontheless it is meant for fights against everything without being top in any. It was a jack of all trades.
    "The C75 Viper is the default turret for the Nanite Systems Lightning . It is a automatic, multi-role turret, with a six round magazine capacity"
    It's in the bad state it is today because of whines and nerfs.
    If one would introduce a jack of all trades tank, how long do you think would it take until it's nerfed to death, in this game?
  17. Stormsinger

I seem to recall a concept for a NS tank in late 2013 / early 2014, i've heard of it a few times since then, but nothing official has materialized since the first dev stream I saw it in.

This thing.

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  18. cbplayer

Thing is that only one faction has a true mbt.
    The rest is a tank destroyer and a heavy armor harrasser
    prowlers and magriders are really lacking in the armor
  19. Dgross

Why is there a sudden influx of "we need more NS crap" threads lately.
    We need LESS NS, not more.
    • Up x 1
  20. cbplayer

the hell is wrong with nanite systems?