Next week, can't play without a 64 bit OS?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by zanthal, Jun 10, 2015.

1. WTSherman

How does "free" sound for a price? Because that's what Windows 10 will be for anyone running Windows 7 or newer. If you're running something older than 7, you're probably looking at $90-$100 to get a Windows 7 ("home premium", but hey it'll get you that free upgrade) disk from a site like TigerDirect or Newegg. If you're running Vista, you can probably grab the Vista->Win7 upgrade for around $60-$70. Jumping from Vista all the way to Windows 10, three whole generations of operating system, for the price of Call of Duty sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Especially since it involves getting rid of Vista.

$100 to go from XP to 10 is a little harsher, but that is a four generation leap.

And yes, I'm fairly certain the price of new Win7 installation disks rose sharply when Microsoft announced the Windows 10 upgrade plan. Not surprising, I suppose, though I wonder if the knowledge that people can just buy old Win7 disks then upgrade will put downward pressure on 10's box price.

Or, if you can get your hands on an old/broken PC that came with 7 installed at one point, chances are it has a product key on the side of the case: that product key can be used to download a Windows 7 ISO from Microsoft and put it on the installation media of your choice. It's legit as long as you're not running the same product key on two PCs at the same time (for example, you can use it to transfer the OS from an old build to a new build, assuming the old build is being scrapped and salvaged for parts). Of course, if you're getting the source computer from someone else, you'll have to make sure they haven't already used the key.
  2. Goretzu

I can't honestly see anyone being on 32bit 7 or 8 having an issue, it must really be only those on XP (and maybe on Vista?).

Actually you're right the second hand Win7 market is pretty massive currently, the only sigificant problem with that is you never know when MS will change their minds about stuff, and that I suspect they'll remove support for Win7 ASAP to force migration to Win10.
  3. Goretzu

It is certainly true that you cannot do anything about certain parts of XP, but I still would say a properly secured version of Win XP is more secure (or at least as secure) than the average install of Win7/8 and maybe even 10.

And again if you were genuinely after a highly secure system you'd never be using Windows in the first place (there's only two genuine reasons to use windows ease/you don't know better or gaming).

The problem with phones is that, but it is also the just way applications work and can gain access (it is actually a bit remincent of Win9x to WinXP), they are beginning to address that, but only because it is being exploited more and more. Then you have the whole issue of pickup wifi.

Wait so first you tell me that "you know nothing" because I'm saying just that, and yet now you're saying "you know nothing" because you're saying the same thing I said! o_O You really should make your mind up on your stance before resorting to rudeness! :D

I still disagree however because if you are running certain flavours built for security and privacy you have both a lot more options and a lot more default protection.

If we're talking about Linux specifically the average flaw existance time and bug discover and bug fix time is much shorter than Windows.

ME's release problems were far from just a memory leak, it was just plain inferior to Win 98 SE at release, buggy as anything, freezing and crashing constantly and was much slower when it was working. It was abysmal. They got the stability sorted out eventually and the performance much improved, but as I said by that point Win XP was out. It was basically a rushed fill-in release meant to tide Win98 users over until they got out Win2000SE, i.e. WinXP).

Win2000 was always better than WinME and was an outstanding OS, I've no idea where you get the idea it wasn't a "consumer OS", it wasn't billed as such certainly, but it ran everything perfectly - I never had a single issue with anything not running on Win2000 that could be ran on Win 95, Win 98, Win98SE or Win ME (which was really just Win98 TE) even games all ran perfectly. WinXP was really just Win2000 SE (Win 2000 being NT 5.0 and Win XP being NT 5.1 to 5.2).

Don't get me wrong I bought Win2000 expecting something as contrary as Win NT 4.0 had been, but discovered it was a sea-change from prior versions. I'd argue Win 2000 was at least a big a leap from NT 4.0 as Win95 was from Win 3.11. It was efficent too, it generally ran better on a like for like system than WinXP throughout its lifetime, and most people that wanted XP to run efficiently as possible used to strip down XP to something very close to an updated win2000. It took till Win7 till I found a Microsoft OS I genuinely prefered.

I very much doubt that would run PS2 better than a 2009 i5 or i7 (if you chucked in a cheap GPU anyway) given that in most benchmarks even a i5-2500 would beat it by ~20%.
  4. Pointyguide2

Quite a sticky thread this is.
  5. Pointyguide2

How's the debate going?
    BTW just a friendly reminder that those of you who can't play anymore can download 10 preview 64 bit free from Microsoft website to play for now and I heard that if you connect with your Microsoft account you can keep it. As in own it. Keep in mind I read this somewhere. And in no way am I an official source or anything so please don't do anything I say. And please don't hurt me I'm just a massenger.
  6. CapEnTrade

People with 32bit be like...
  7. Timothy Pearson

Rofl
  8. MrLittle

a fiew years ago this game was playable on a 32bit OS, why the hell they changed it to 64bit???
  9. MrLittle

10. Metalsheep

[IMG]
    • Up x 5
  11. Stigma

Well now that the thread is necroed anyway, at least I have the opportunity to apologize to everyone.

Back when they went 64-bit exclusive the main touted reason given by devs and supporters (see start of thread) was that it would remove cheats from the game. Clearly neither PS2 or H1Z1 has any hacks now - so this was a good and valid reason for the change.

/sarcasm
    -Stigma
    • Up x 1
  12. Nejisaurus

Mr Little, you have surpassed my expectations. Not only have you necro'd a thread. You shamelessly double posted with a naughty word aka "piss".
    • Up x 1
  13. Iridar51

"Now sit down, my son, and we shall repeat all the naughty words you should never say" :rolleyes: