Anti materiel rifle

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ragnarox, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Pokebreaker

Well said and accurate.
  2. Wolfsign

nice repost of crude and entirely uneducated nonsense.

I guess you two are just afraid of the AMR becoming a weapon that might actually see usage in the game, for reasons i don´t know and do not care about.

There is nothing "exaggerated" about my posts, it's just me combining my ingame experiences with what i know, plus my opinion, plus simple logic and (since i'm not a native english speaker) the words i can find, to discuss the feedback that comes to this forum.
    So there is no need to feel affected or offended by what i write down here.

It is not about "making a game, like reality" or all the other made up shenanigans, it's simply a question of logic.

Applying AMR logic to the rest of the game would also mean you could no longer kill infantry with a direct hit of an AP tank cannon just for the reason that it's not intended to fight infantry.

If you can't even see the simple truth that such so called "balancing" is nothing but idiocy you are truly lost and my discussion with you is over.

To all the others, I really tried hard to discuss this new weapon implementation, i gave feedback and made suggestions since the moment i heard about the idea.
    I'm sorry if my last post turned up a bit harsh it is because i am truly frustrated that daybreak did not even bother to simply TRY out a single suggestion on the ptr that was made in the feedback post.
    And when then people come and defend what they did with false statements it's quite infuryating.

But it's good to see the level of discussion quality we have come down to, it's a complete waste of time to discuss with someone who claims the TR standard pistol to be any good of a weapon... (again, my experience...)

*takes repeater, throws it into trash bin, leaves the room*
  3. Taemien

As soon as MAXs move and charge in the VR, sure. And a 30min trial may give like 1 kill depending on the enemy. I wouldn't be asking these questions if I didn't already do this stuff.
  4. Pokebreaker

Normally I write an articles worth of text. However, the post I agreed with already hit all the points I would have made. I do like how you tried to duck out of the discussion though... Welcome Back! You should realize that something being "worthless" is entirely a matter of opinion, and NOT a fact. So most of your claims appear as hyperbole. There is no point in using words of the sort in a thread where others feel differently. What you may see as worthless, I may see as extremely useful; and I will argue my point of view with you, regardless of how you feel about it. I expect the same from your side as well.

Honestly, I could care less what happens to the AMR, as I rarely pull Maxes. However, as you noted, your post before last was clearly full of emotion. I won't fault you for that, as I understand some folks are more passionate about certain things than others. My pet peeve is players who refuse to think outside of the box, but instead whine to have things changed to their liking. From the outside looking in, what we see, is you seeming to have tunnel vision as to the potential functionality of the AMR.

The AMR was intended to be a Precision Anti-Max weapon, not All-Purpose, and CLEARLY not CQB. In CQB, that is what AT mines are now for, OR Rocker Launchers. With the Bolt-Action style, it limits the rate of fire for ONE user, REQUIRING Teamwork, or at the very least, multiple people to kill targets quickly. Just like the Phoenix RL, alone it can do damage, but in coordinated groups, it REKS. However, just like the Phoenix, the AMR is useful enough for those who are capable of thinking outside of the CQB box to take advantage of it, while those who are close-minded will forever be lost as to the effectiveness of these weapons. If large coordinated groups of folks were to start fielding the Phoenix or AMR in the APPROPRIATE settings, they would easily be called OP. Hell, there are already threads of Max users complaining about their 350 Nanite Max (that might be the wrong cost) being 2-3 shotted by a weapon that cost 0 Nanites to field. Just like a Sniper Rifle is MOST effective at long range Anti-Infantry, and not so great at cqb; the AMR will excel at ranged Anti-Max, and will plummet at CQB, as it should. I don't know how many play hours you have, but over my time, just from the many scenarios I have been in, having a Ranged Precision Anti-max weapon, is VERY useful in many situations. The number of fights that occur OUTSIDE of bases, or in No-Mans Land, where both sides are peeking from burms, trees, and/or boulders. The AMR has a role, albeit a very specific one. It may not be an all-purpose weapon, but it has a strong function that apparently only a few can see.

On another note, there is no point in bringing Real-World logic into the discussion, as it only proves to complicate things MUCH further than necessary. As you spoke about .50 Cal being used primarily against small engine blocks and IEDs, I assume you either read military articles, or served at some point/currently; don't let the real-world equivalents cloud your judgement on how the game weapons should function. In real-world, War is not about being fair. It's about having the greatest advantage on your enemies, killing as many as necessary, while taking as few friendly casualties as possible. OP is encouraged in real-life war. Video Games have similar purposes, but is meant to be a fair environment, where most players feel they are making a difference.

So the way I see it, the AMR:

1. Does large damage from decent/safe range for Engi.
    2. Is bolt-action, to limit it being an OP solo weapon.
    3. Has a damage profile that causes it to serve it's intended Anti-Max purpose, while also not being OP against Infantry.
    4. Will likely get changed to become some all-purpose weapon, to appease those who refuse to learn.

Just my opinions though.
  5. Dgross

Glad it's over!

You post like an e-raging prepubescent who can't value other people's opinions if they differ from yours in your bubble.
    Good luck with life.
    • Up x 2
  6. libbmaster

I was under the impression that it was loadout based.

So if you spawn with an archer, you get flagged for priority render... if I understand it correctly.
  7. AntiFox08

You're saying it's bad because 3 engineers can keep maxes down, not me. Btw, you think this is Army of Two or something where 3 engis are going to all take a deep breath at the same time and 1 2 3 instant kill, but good luck with that. If they just fix how slow it is, it would be much better. Doesn't even need a change in damage, just the bolt speed.
  8. Navron

We have these things called "squads" that require a concept called "teamwork".
    • Up x 1
  9. Jubikus

3 shots for mana turrets its quite effective.

It may not be usefull against infantry or vehicles but good positioning and planning you can typically just use your AI or AV turret to fill in that spot plus you still have land mines. Its not a weapon you can plan to defend yourself with against enemy infantry but that shouldnt be your roll if you are using this weapon this weapon is probibly more meant to be the engineer on point trying to take a base where he can supply ammo put up an AI turret repair max set up landmines and take out enemy maxes with more accuracy and velocity than most rocket launchers.

The only thing i would suggest is maby making this an option to medics as they are the other support class definitely not light assults as giving them this would be to powerfull on tower bases where they can easily take out several maxes that are maby trying to push armor off the tower C4 can only do so much this gun would keep maxes at bay a little too easily with light assults and their easy positioning.
  10. Jubikus

The weapon is great specifically against maxes its not going to hold up agaisnt infantry or vehicles at all as the weapon has the drawbacks of a bolt action sniper rifle(slow rechamber and small magazine) but doesnt get the benifits a bolt action sniper rifle does(1 shot kill high velocity bullet) however the damage it does against maxes is great and the accuracy is just as good.
    The weapon is for somone who wishes to support his team and not really kill a few tips to using the weapon could help as many people try to toss it on and go about playing like normal and that just doesn't work.

1. Know your battle this is important in picking your turret if your being pushed on a field and theres maxes and tanks use an AV turret otherwise use an AI turret for having the AMR will limit your killing potential against infantry significantly.
    2. Remember your support the AMR has good accuracy most people fail with it because of whooting while moving stay behind the front line not as far back as snipers but behind the front line.
    3. Always be moving only stop for just enough time to fire a shot then move while rechambering and so on snipers will be looking to pick you off and hitting a moving target at any distance especially if they are moving back and forth side to side in changing patterns leading is fairly easy but someone constantly changing directions is a hard target to hit as they are not ***** mind readers.
    4. Lastly choose your targets carefully this weapon is good against maxes and AV turret engineers as it can kill both in 3 shots dont pick fights with snipers you will almost always lose their weapon and cloaking make them far superior in long distance engagements. You do very little damage very slowly to vehicles so dont pick fights with them tho pecking at them from distance if you have no other targets isnt a bad idea if you have cover like a rock as if they run ninites you will hinder them.

NOTE. This is an ANTI MAX WEAPON even says in the weapons discription its subpar for everything else ive killed more maxes with it than infantry the weapon will get you lots of assists if you take pot shots at vehicles aircraft AV and AA turrets on bases ect.
    If you expect it to be decent at anything other than killing maxes you will be disappointed and i would not suggest you picking it up.
    Its a neiche weapon much like the blackhand its good at 1 thing and quite poor at everything else.
  11. Jubikus

I agree with 1-3 but i doubt it will get changed to an all purpose weapon instead of what it currently is my main argument would to simply look at the last NS weapon the Blackhand this weapon is inferior to the commissioner in every way except those dealing with distance it is a niche weapon and is likely to stay what it is because it does what its supposed to people need to relise this isnt like some weapons where it is good in 1 situation and decent in others this is a weapon that really rises above the rest in its particular roll much like the blackhand the other pistols are well rounded the blackhand sacrifices in some areas to really be good in one the amr is the same way.

If people want the well rounded weapons they can use what they already have i know people want new weapons but the new ones should all be like the blackhand and AMR ones that serve only 1 roll better than what we already have at a sacrifice so they arnt overpowerd we have all the well rounders we need but not enough niche weapons.
    • Up x 1
  12. Navron

I've been posting this everywhere I see a thread about this weapon.

13. Jubikus

well in my case that is half right im a sniper i like the weapon but i dont like to snipe in groups i have good success with it killing maxes and well getting assists on anything else i can pot shot without getting killed.
  14. Taemien

Much appreciated. I don't know why the others had a hard time giving some personal accounts.
  15. AntiFox08

We also have this thing called latency, and another thing called brains. One of the only times you ever catch a MAX sitting still is if he's on a landing pad at a base, and he's not doing much then. Everywhere else, the player is hiding behind rocks or running like a chicken with its head cut off, and good luck getting 3 engis to simultaneously snipe that. I don't know why people are talking about killing turrets period unless they're the automatic ones. Killing a turret is stupid when you could just kill the engi behind it. I sniped an engi off an anti-infantry turret at max draw distance with a suppressed Parallax. He was so far, the turret wasn't even moving. Always go for the engi kill, not the turret alone. If you're wasting 3 AMR shots on a turret, even with ammo packs, you're doing it wrong.
  16. McMan

Make it more like this:

1. CHANGE THE SOUND make it sound like a monster
    2. Put it in the turrent spot
    3. Reduce infantry damage
    4. Make its ADS movment speed 0.3 instead of 0.5
    OR
    4. Make it so you can only use it while chroucing.
    5. Make its cone of fire while hip firing worse (something like sniper rifles have)
  17. Navron

Bruh......you need better teammates in-game then. It's okay you don't how to properly position yourself with this weapon at any given base (with the exception of half of Esamir) but it's not safe to assume that NO ONE knows to how to properly use this weapon. Sounds like you just need practice.
  18. AntiFox08

There you go making assumptions again. I know how to position myself, but you're clearly under the impression that MAXes are a dime a dozen and the majority of them just sit on a hill spraying n praying, waiting to be killed.

You said no one knows how to properly use the weapon, not me. I said it's not worth using in its current state. Sounds like you need practice outside of the VR room, you know, where people are alive and moving around. You won't benefit much shooting dummies in VR 24/7 while telling others they don't know how to use it. I know how to use it. You snipe MAXes with it and anything else is almost useless. Hence why I say it's not worth using. It takes a primary weapon slot, which is as bad as stalker removing a primary. It should be a gadget or in the turret slot at best, unless they can fix its god awful reload speed.
  19. Navron

Bruh.....

BRUH.....you literally just complained about not being able to hit a moving target. TWICE. Also, I did not say that "no one knows how to use it". I said it's not safe for you to assume that no one knows how to use it...which is essentially what you're doing when you say "It's not worth using" or "anything else is almost useless".

--I can take a squad of 6 Snipineers and go Armor hunting and take out Sundies within a few seconds (3-4 shots per rifle).
    --On Amerish and Hossin, this weapon will take out A2G Air with coordination.
    --A squad of 12 is an AMAZING anti-armor squad from 300 meters. (2 - 3 shots per person for a Lightning, 4-5 for MBT)
  20. AntiFox08

Kiddo, I'd really love to see you and two other people sit on the same hill and consecutively hit a MAX running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Not moving from cover to cover, not moving in one direction, but just waltzing around and having an engi repair him every so often, even when he's full. You will not instantly take it down. It would take luck, yes luck, to get 3/3 people to hit a randomly strafing MAX and kill it. Another thing, you're bragging about a video game, lighten up. Everything you're doing with 12 people, one person could do in a vehicle or as a MAX. All you're doing is tying up 12 people from capturing a point or doing something more useful. This isn't like Kessen (old PS2 game) where you set up barrages of riflemen.