PS2 gonna burn my GPU

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Rapid_Sausage, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Rapid_Sausage

Ever since the latest "optimization", not only have i been getting less FPS in situations where i got more, but my GPU temperatures have gone up too, up to the point where it's not worth the risk of playing PS2.

Now, i realize i'm using a laptop, but the cooling is pretty great and the card is good enough.

I also realize that you can't satisfy everyone, and there will always be people who are affected negatively by optimization changes, but to reach the point where you're putting way too much load on a single component this means the optimization isn't executed well, whether that being in the coding or the analytical part of optimization procedures.

What is DBC doing to unruin the fps of those affected?
  2. user300115

Listen, here you disqualify yourself because anyone who would have a solid base of knowledge would never write this nonsense.

DBC improved the CPU utilization which means that your GPU is now the bottleneck. You are now seeing 99% load which is desired behavior in any game. If you had a faster CPU before the changes you would have observed the same.

So either you get a better cooling by cleaning your laptop and getting new thermal compound. Or you simply add this line to your useroptions.ini to see better temperatures at lower FPS:
    Code:
    MaximumFPS=60
    Or your simply tell us what temperatures you are getting because chances are those are completely fine.
  3. Rapid_Sausage

i know DBC improved CPU utilization, but by doing that they also made it possible for the GPU to be under so much load it did not experience before, resulting in under clocking to prevent damage.

My GPU temperature before the patch was 66 maximum playing planetside 2, now it goes to 70 (all celcius), which is a temperature that had caused problems with my GPU model before under sustained load.

My gpu is the GTX 675m, i've been using it since i started playing PS2, and only after this patch i started seeing these differences in termperatures.

Also, the laptop is thoroughly clean and thermal paste/compound is basically new (6 months old)

note: i already have my fps limited to 50.
  4. HotPepperDelivery

70C is **** fine what are you thinking? Just 4 degrees increase doesn't mean ****. As long is not over 84C like the desktop NVIDIA reference cooler on GTX 900 series. Here is the thread http://www.overclock.net/t/1253592/what-are-the-normal-temps-for-gtx-675m/10. In this thread, this guy had a serious temperature were the GPU spike up to 96C. So to your question, how PS2 killing your GPU when your is at 70C? Under 70C means you have superior cooling, and that temperature is what i have on my ASUS STRIX GTX 970.
    • Up x 2
  5. user300115

Nice to see a well kept machine.

You seem to be a bit over overcautious regarding temperatures though. 70°C is a normal if not low operating temperature for a mobile GPU. The information you got about the problems at the temperature have to be inaccurate.
    • Up x 1
  6. HotPepperDelivery

This man just paranoid over 70C! GG :)
    • Up x 1
  7. Kirppu1

Your gpu is going to burn your house, Quick throw you computer to water
  8. Rapid_Sausage

I'm not pulling numbers out of my butt, i've had two GPUs (same model) fry because of sustained high temperature, which were in the 71~74 degree range, i may sound a bit overcautious or paranoid, but so will you when your GPU fries twice in the span of 1.5 year, and you have to spend $570 just to import a replacement.
  9. teks

70c is low. Its not frying. I looked up your specific card. There are many many reports of them dying, going black screen, giving blue screens etc. Could be linked to beta drivers. Its definitely not the game though.
    • Up x 1
  10. Rapid_Sausage

i know it's not the game specifically, but it generally is related to temperature in my case, and it is why i specifically cap my fps at 50.
    Now i can't even have that at a decent temperature because of "optimizations", which may i remind you, is first and foremost is supposed to improved performance without an increase in hardware load, which is definitely not my case, and from the looks of it, several others as well, yet DBC has been very quiet about it.
  11. user300115

That is simply not true. You will always try to optimize software in a way that it utilizes all resources available to it. You cannot expect them to optimize around corner cases like you which have no relevance.
    Because there is no issue here. If you are really that afraid of temperatures:

1. Set your frame limit to 30
    2. Reduce resolution and/or render quality to a minimum
    3. Set particles, lighting, graphics quality and shadows to a minimum
  12. Rapid_Sausage

After the latest big patch, there have been SEVERAL complaints about drops in FPS, i'm not talking just about my case.
  13. Kirppu1

If he is so afraid of a comfy gpu temp he shouldn't play this game, he is basically saying that gpus the image should come without any drawing
  14. Napsterbater

If you Computer can not survive from using the CPU and/or GPU 100% for hours at a time, its a problem with the Computer/Components and or the cooling system, not the software.
  15. teks

There is nothing the game can do. Your laptop can't run at its full potential, so you need to limit the performance. If that's solving your problem, then that's great. Most people want their PC to run at their full potential. Its not really a software flaw.

My computer is using an internal graphics card (AMD 5800k). I also noticed a small performance drop. I'm sure it'll be smoothed out in subsequent patches. In general they've done really well optimizing the game in the pas year.
  16. toast2250

Are you sure that your lap top is throttling?

Check your settings and stress test your components to be sure.

Run them all at 99%. Intell burn test + FurMark at the same time. :D

My large tower rig with prefered large low rpm silent fans only can take everything.
    [IMG][IMG]
  17. Pointyguide2

not furmark. that is not realistic try the unigine benchmarks running and the burn test.
  18. HotPepperDelivery

I use MSI Kombuster for stress test GPU. Unigine benchmarks and 3DMark 11 is a good benchmarks tool for GPU.
  19. Pointyguide2

Furmark should not be recommended to people. And programs similar to it.It is extremely unnatural. And veryou far from a typical game. 3DMark and unigine are good and most like a real game
  20. Pointyguide2

By unnatural I mean how much power it manages to pull.