Is the AMR worth it?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by fives23, Jun 18, 2015.

1. fives23

Unfortunately I'm away right now and only have my macbook with me but I watched a few videos on the AMR and I personally think this gun is more useless than the battle rifle I'm kicking out of my classes to make room for it. This gun looks like you basically are REQUIRED to run around with your pistol until you see a MAX (which you won't because they're all scared now) because this gun doesn't work against infantry nor does it do anything to vehicles. I think I'm going to keep my certs for the new vehicle weapon the TR is getting now, but if I'm wrong please tell me now so I can buy the AMR if in fact it is good.
  2. Ballto21

personally i would put it on my tanking or ESF loadouts if i need to bail because of a raven or burster cluster. this is all theory crafting i havnt played since like two days ago on my main
  3. FieldMarshall

Its not really worth it to be honest. I bought it because i dont have anything left to spend certs on.
    Most of the time you will be wishing you brought a carbine instead.

Its ok if you are fighting at medium range out in the open. Then you may get lucky and killsteal a MAX.
    But honestly, the AV turret is already a great medium range anti MAX tool and it doesent sacrifice your primary.
    And at close range you can trick them with AT mines anyway, so the AMR struggles to fit into what the engineer already has.

Though it havent really played around with it too much. So i may be wrong.

I think they should move it to the turret slot.
  4. Iridar51

AMR is not "in fact, good". It's a fun toy to use, nothing more. It's decent in its anti MAX purpose, but you ultimately lose a primary for it. Not worth the trade for "optimal" playstyle. Makes a good diversion for people tired of "optimal" playstyle.
  5. Rogueghost

It does insane damage vs maxes and can be a lot of fun, but unless you have a squad coordinating fire it's not going to get much use outside of dealing with max spam. It's a very useful tool if you're a tanker, since you rarely need your carbine while inside a tank and the archer allows you to kill or scare off any AV maxes that may give you trouble otherwise.

I'd get it if you have spare certs or if AV maxes give you a lot of trouble while tanking, otherwise buy something else.
  6. Maljas23

Yes it is worth. The AMR is a powerful counter to MAX units. However, you need to know when its time to actually put it out. This thing performs best against MAX units but it is quite powerful against ESFs as well. Even Lightinings and Harassers will be feeling it if a small squad is focus firing them.

Totally worth the certs.
  7. JohnGalt36

Yes, it's worth it. Now, everyone, gather in large groups, using only AMR's without cover or other units around, especially TR and VS.
    • Up x 1
  8. CapEnTrade

9. Dgross

Ask yourself these questions:

1. Do you want to kill MAX units from range in 2 shots?
    2. Do you want to take out Mana turrets without using a rocket launcher?
    3. Do you want to take out a Flash in 3 hits from full health?
    4. Do you like playing a dedicated support role?
    5. Do you want the capability of getting rid of those aggravating Raven/Vortex MAX units sniping from towers and high cliffs?

If you said yes to any of these, then yes it's worth it.

If instead you were looking to do the following:

- expecting to take out tanks efficiently
    - expecting to take out aircraft efficiently
    - expecting to ditch your infiltrator and snipe infantry with this

Then no, it's not worth it.
    It's really a tool more then a weapon, and it fits nicely in the engineer's toolbox
    • Up x 1
  10. RedArmy

personally i would sat it IS worth it, every weapon has its advantages and usefull points. the AM7 just happens to be an uber speciallized one. i would likly use it as a sniper support weapon instead of my AMR66 or HC1. fits that role excellently. otherwise for an up close and personal id rather just use an autoshotgun with slugs like the AS16 so i can kill both MAX and infantry without the pain of weapon swapping. but the AMP pistol for TR its basically an SMG, so it makes up for that if you wanna use the AM7
  11. The Rogue Wolf

From everything I've seen about it, it goes beyond "niche" and heads right into "cul-de-sac"- as in a dead end for you if you try to rely upon this weapon for anything past its incredibly-narrow purpose: Combatting MAXes. And even in that role, you'd better have support, because the weapon is extremely weak against infantry and isn't going to do much to a vehicle before it vaporizes you (or even just runs you over).
  12. eldarfalcongravtank

dont fool yourself, the AMR is no competitive gun. it's not for aggressive playstyle. it's not for killstreaks. it's not for best performance on the battlefield either. it's just for messing around.

so if you have 1000 certs lying around ready to be spent, hate Maxes with a passion, like to take on vehicles from far away, want to play a more laid-back playstyle and love camping a lot, the Archer is the weapon for you!
  13. Stigma

It's not really... its a fun tool that once in a blue moon may come in handy - though the likelyhood of you carrying it around when you find an opening to use it is minimal.

If you have more certs than you need for anything important then get it - but if you are still making tough choices about where to put your certs then I wouldn't really recommend it. There are better ways to combat MAXes, and most of them are cheaper in terms of certs to boot.

-Stigma
  14. HAXTIME

Remember when you were fighting at Broken Arch Road inside the canyon, and NC were spamming Raven MAXes from the west rock? It's time to lock and load with the AMR in that situation, or ones that are similar.
  15. Migs

Its like a scout rifle but can hurt maxes.

seems to be an exodus of maxes atm so I wouldn't recommend dropping 1k certs on it yet
  16. fives23

I put the AMR on trial today and although it was fun as hell to noscope a scythe out of the sky this gun is utterly worthless to me in its current state. I bought the ripper instead.