Next week, can't play without a 64 bit OS?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by zanthal, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Antillie

From a practical standpoint the extra RAM is main point I think. There aren't many modern games that will run well with less than 6-8 gigs of RAM. A 32 bit OS just can't do that.

As I mentioned earlier there are a lot of very good reasons to not run XP that have nothing to do with games. There are plenty of reasons for 32 bit software to still be around, not everything needs more than 4 gigs of RAM, good ASLR, or memory space protection, there just aren't any reasons for 32 bit OSs to be around any more in the PC market. Between being able to run 32 bit software natively and virtualization being so easy even businesses have no reason to run a 32 bit OS, never mind home users.

Now there are a fair number of 64 bit capable PCs that came with 32 bit Vista or 7 pre installed. This is the fault of the OEM. However you can always install the 64 bit version with the same license.
  2. Luminus

So, basically, the lesson here is to stop living in 2004.
    • Up x 1
  3. Goretzu

Yeah they've said the number of 32bit clients used is pretty small. You have to wonder though if there would ever even have been a 64bit client if PS2 hadn't spend 90%+ of its development for the past 18 months/2 years on the PS4 console.

Well given 64bit Windows uptake, more like 2009-2013, as it was well under 15% before Win7.
  4. K2k4

Ps2 was the first game ever to tell me "you dont have enough cpu cores to run this game." Lol good times.

64 bit os is standard nowadays, sorry if you dont have this but its for the greater good ("the greater good")
  5. Goretzu

That actually went the same way as 32>64 bit OS; multi-core CPU support in games is still pretty dire (it's not exactly great in PS2 even now), at the birth of mutli-core people were predicting a complete sea-change and if it had happend I doubt you'd be able to buy anything under an 8 core CPU today, and yet for a long, long time after mutli-core CPUs became standard you were still much better off with a faster single core CPU for gaming (although ironically GPU-wise it caught on very quickly).

Even with the latest games there's very few that take any real advantage with anything over 4 CPU cores.
  6. Crator

Interesting, I just assumed that MS would have discontinued the 32-bit OS by now. But they are still hanging on to it because some of the computers out there are still running it (albeit a very small portion). SOURCE
  7. Goretzu

It may well also be they want to hit the pirated XP market, which as the article sort of alludes too could still be quite large.
  8. Nasher

If your still running 32bit (lol if you are) you will find that a lot of new games will start running very poorly, or just not working properly soon. Because they will start wanting more than 3gb ram. I think 32bit may limit the amount of VRAM you can use as well, which is also a big problem.
  9. AlexR

Assuming the fact that 32-bit OS supports maximum ammount of 3GB RAM any machine running 32-bit OS is not reaching minimum system specs, so can't see a problem here anyway.
    Minimum Specs:
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 or higher / AMD Phenom II X2 or higher.
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM.
    • Hard Drive: 15 GB free.
    • Video Memory: 256 MB RAM.
    • Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 series or higher / AMD or ATI 4850 series or higher.
    • Sound Card: DirectX compatible.
    • Network Connection: Broadband.
  10. drstrange2014

Hate to tell you this guys but you're doing it all wrong. If you want someone to notice your posts, this is how it's done:

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...bit-os-and-idiocy-etc-of-soe-daybreak.227548/

You just haven't quite got this color/size/font combination thing right yet. Oh and break your English down into unmanageable, incoherent globs of just 'stuff.' That's the way to do it. Don't worry, if you work hard at it, it will come and one day you too can reach these heady heights of unintelligibility.
  11. TheChris

How i miss the Time to install Planetside with a 5.25 inch disk
    [IMG]
    That was really a good time :)
  12. TheChris

13. WTSherman

As has already been mentioned, any CPU that can run PS2 is 64 bit. So hardware is no problem.
    1: Get Windows 7/8
    2: ?????
    3: Profit!
  14. JohnGalt36

Please insert floppy disk #6,678 to continue installation.
    • Up x 1
  15. TheChris

Disk 6,679 is damaged contact support :D
    • Up x 3
  16. Goretzu

I'd hate to be playing in on XP 64bit tbh, it was always a pain in the behind.
    Floppy disk? Alright for those with money to burn, tape is the only way to load PS2.

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  17. Taemien

Why bother with a harddrive? Just load the program into memory everytime you want to play with these things:

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  18. teks

Now were talking. Ive been installing via stone tablets and incan knots. Good time to upgrade to tape.
    • Up x 1
  19. Neur0tek

So I guess those PS2 DVD's are no good anymore right? What? You download the game now because the bandwidth has increased for home users? BLACK MAGIC!!!! Are you saying that things change and I must change with them? You sir, can kiss me where I poop from!
  20. Garmus

WHAT?
    Why I should upgrade from Win XP to Win Vista/7/8/whatever when XP do the work BETTER, FASTER and with LESS PC system usage than the new ones? (btw WinXP 64-bit version is bad choice, that version have many problems)

By the way, do you even realize that there are many software applications which simply does not work under 64-bit OS at all? You should realize it's not that simple as just click on "run in WinXP 32-bit compatibility mode" and it will magically start works again. Well, in this particular case the PS2 change to 64-bit-only is not exactly an unsolvable problem for me, I will still be able to play PS2 because I am now using 64-bit OS since, hmm, I'm not sure, maybe January 2015, but just for a small example: I don't know of any 64-bit firewall that would suit my demand so perfectly as a 32-bit firewall version I was using for more than 7 years (which is NOT working under 64-bit OS).

I really "love" your kind of ppl which would like to remove not-exactly-the-newest technology from the world and fiercely and blindly promote only the newest technology, even if the new version is (in some cases) in fact WORSE than the old one ... :rolleyes: (and don't even bother trying to convince me that 64-bit version of Planetside 2 is without any strange behaviour)

Exactly as Stigma said: poorly qualified ppl suggesting advices about everything.
    • Up x 1