Is PS4 release going to decide PC future?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Luminus, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Luminus

I have a very uneasy feeling that Daybreak is going to decide the future of PS2 almost entirely on how well the PS4 version is received. If the players simply don't show up I feel as though we'll be looking at a game on life support from that point on but then there is another thing.

This isn't just about whether the game will see support, but what kind.

If console iteration of PS2 proves popular there is also a concern that PC balance will be a slave to console player limitations and interests. Our balance concerns may in fact be an afterthought while they tune everything for the analog stick jockeys.

Anyone else more than slightly worried?
    • Up x 3
  2. Shiaari

You're probably right. All the more reason for the community to close ranks and show support for the game.
  3. _itg

The PC version will die a slow death unless something revitalizes the player base, and the PS4 version has the potential to do that. With PSN's marketing platform behind it, a lot more people will become aware of the game, and some will switch to PC. Assuming DBG makes a lot of money off PS4, that will hopefully fund continuing development of the game, where otherwise they might have given up and put the game into maintenance mode.

I agree there's a potential problem with inexperienced/immature PS4 players whining about supposed balance problems and screwing up PC balance, but I'm not too worried, because the PC community is likely to be far more vocal and organized on these issues. In any case, the devs might come to the realization that weapons actually behave differently in different control schemes and then tweak the stats separately.
  4. Geneaux

Me? Not in the slightest.

SOE/DBG have already given words on this. PC is still their first and foremost primary platform. I'm a bit lazy to find their statement on it but it's out there.
  5. Ragnarox

Ps2 on PS4 wont last long.
  6. AxiomInsanity87

Why not?.

Its fresh and there's nothing like it on console.
  7. Giligan96

I agree with Axiomlnsanity87. I'm a fresh defector of the PS4 to PC and there's a ton of followers just waiting for this game to release. Plus, right now, good games are stag on consoles. I waited a long time for release but then came to my senses and realized PC is where it's really at! I can say now with a serious face that M+KB kicks controllers completely out of the water. I'm loving my PC! Now I just need to practice..you guys are kicking my *** out there!!:D But you know what, I'm having a blast playing PS2 on PC. I hope others will defect or come back to play to keep this awesome game alive for a long time!
    • Up x 1
  8. Ragnarox

2 years too late plus beta didn't go well. Like one map was only 10 vs 10 ppl. Plus someone said frames drop more than PC version.
  9. AxiomInsanity87

2 years too late for what, Planet side 3 been announced?.

No console will ever compare to PC so fps being lower is definite. It hovers between 30-60 and there's loads of people playing the closed beta now. Its highly anticipated on console because there's nothing like it. I never understand how people judge a game by beta.
  10. AxiomInsanity87

I defected to ps4. PC is for work, arma 3, eve online and RTS.

Got sick of hackers
    Got sick of reducing graphics to reduce screen clutter for any advantage possible
    Got sick of INI file edits
    Got sick of macros
    Got sick of reducing the experience to gain advantages
    Realised that game devs across the board are using PC as beta for consoles now.

Eternal crusade 40k is set to be going cross platform eventually so I think I'll wait for that instead of wasting time on PC. I'm not happy with where PC gaming seems to be going. Warframe was another game I liked on PC, now its just the beta for ps4 :(
  11. KoRneY

I think the best thing about PS2 being on PS4 is the general awareness that will inevitably arise. The PS4's store has fairly few F2P games in it and Planetside will be extremely obvious. This cannot hurt the PC version in any way.
  12. ShadowViper

The PS4 release is one of the last legs this game has to stand on IMO. If it becomes a huge success and brings in more money, the game will be able to expand.

If it doesn't... well lets just say that they can't 180 and go 'F2P' to save themselves like other big names.
  13. novicez

Because they need a capable PC to run PS2 on a satisfactory performance. Most console owners don't own PC's because they can't afford one, I seriously doubt PS2 will move PC sales. If they did have PCs capable of playing PS2, there's a very likely chance that they already tried it out at some point.
  14. drstrange2014

Except that there is no marketing department from the Playstation network behind the game. In fact they're more than a little embarrassed by it, since Sony got rid of SOE when the company hit rock bottom, after having to be written off for $60 million and the only reason that the game is even still going to be on PS4 is because there were existing contractual agreements which still hold. There is no evidence at all of any widespread interest in the game on PS4, as SOE/DBG were warned when they started using the existing player base as unpaid beta testers, and there will be no real marketing or advertising, as DBG have no idea how to advertise effectively.

So sadly no, there won't be some great marketing campaign to bring in new players and the real player base has been cynically used and lied to, losing many players in the process, for no good reason whatsoever, The management at DBG should frankly be fired for their utter incompetence. If you doubt that this will be the case by the way, come back one month after launch and talk about what happened and didn't happen.
  15. RykerStruvian

Maybe there is a chance that I've been hard on Smed in the past. With that said, he's been straightforward about stuff, even when it makes him look like an ***. He said regardless of what happens...the PC will be foremost in their thoughts as they push forward with PS2. He also mentioned PS2 has at least a shelf life an additional 10-years.

Take it for what you will.
  16. lothbrook

When the PS4 version tanks, and it will tank, PS2 will be done for good, you just can't spend the amount of time they've spent on the PS4 version, have it fail and continue on, theres a reason Sony dumped the studio, and its not because they had tons of confidence in their products.
  17. SteelMantis

"theres a reason Sony dumped the studio"

There was a reason that Sony sold SOE off but I don't think you understand what it was. Sony has been going through a period of massive restructuring over the last year and sold a lot of assets that were not directly related to their core business (which being focused on hardware and being centered in Japan automatically put SOE on the block).

I agree with what others have said: the PS4 version will mean mostly good things for those of us on the PC. New players migrating over from the PS4, increased visibility for the game and more money coming in to improve the game with which can attract and retain players are all some of the ways it can benefit us.

Lets hope its a hit on PS4.
  18. AxiomInsanity87

What a load of negative bs hahahaha.

Do you need a hug?.
  19. f0d

already happened

they nerfed aircraft and vehicles turn rate to attempt to have parity with console controls or something or other
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/game-update-4-9.223686/
  20. AxiomInsanity87

Alot of you are literally just whiny little emos who don't know what they're talking about.

Count yourself lucky that the devs don't just dump the PC version. I'd not see the point developing for a bunch of negative, hyperbolic, negative emos like a lot if you clearly are. You give every reason to dump the PC version lol.