[Suggestion] Pacifist directive

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by VonStalin, Jun 3, 2015.

1. AlterEgo

NC: My Big Friend-Using the SAW, headshot 50 enemy HAs and kill them doing so at ranges beyond 100 meters. Upon completion, receive a skin that increases velocity by 35% and reduces vertical recoil by 20%.
    TR: Stay 'n' Spray-Using the Lynx, kill three enemies in quick succession without releasing the LMB, without aiming down sights, and ending up with 1-3 bullets. Upon completion, receive a skin that boosts CoF accuracy by 50% and magazine size by 15 bullets.
    VS: Will of Vanu-Using the Lasher, absorb 5,000 damage in ten lives while saving the lives of 15 brethren each life. No medical items or implants, just biolab benefits and shields. Upon completion, receive a skin that improves the Lasher's splash radius by an astounding 50%, increases splash damage to 112 and ignores flak armor.

What do you think?
  2. Iridar51

Uhhh - blatantly overpowered rewards? VS directive seems too hard. Otherwise kinda fun.
  3. RedArmy

SHH!!! id already have this, so id be fine with it
  4. AlterEgo

:D That's the point! They're actually good rewards that people want!
  5. Iridar51

That's not how it works. These "rewards" will be considered best weapons for the class. So much good, that everybody using anything else will be deemed a clueless scrub, and directives themselves will be considered mandatory "before you can start playing for real".
  6. AlterEgo

That's not the way it'll go. If anything, these rewards are supposed to tell people,"Hey, instead of getting a useless costume for being one of the most accomplished soldiers in our army, we're giving you something that actually helps."
  7. Iridar51

You're so naive I don't even know how to argue with you.
    Thankfully, developers have more sense, so something like that will never happen.
  8. Czarinov

That's some backwards thinking in such a game.
  9. Geneaux

The what the hell do you expect to do when everyone wants to be a pacifist in a game which its sole purpose is to kill other people? Yes I know this is unlikely, but you can't have goals in a game the prohibit or obstruct 'partly' or the 'entire' purpose of the game. That's just asinine.

Just ignore him. The ignorant either come around or fall to their ineptitude. No point in even trying to talk to them, imo.
  10. AlterEgo

1. I don't see how I earned the right to be called naive. If you're so insistent on belittling other people, then you effectively belittle yourself.
    2. What is YOUR idea of an actual directive reward? Because a s**ty armor covered in shiny crap is definitely not a reward.
  11. AlterEgo

Technically, you're talking about me. Now here's something I have to ask:
    If one SUGGESTS an idea, and no one likes that idea, are they really naive, ignorant, stupid, etc?
    If you answer yes, then please, think about what you are doing to your life, and how ideas are NEVER naive.
  12. Geneaux

Nice black and white shades.

"Suggestion" just does not excuse you from criticism, period. That said, if you lack the insight and knowledge to understand why things are done as they currently stand, then you have no hope in adding meaningful feedback. Ideas are always naive, when everything else "doesn't exist".
  13. AlterEgo

I take it that you are an atheist (no problem with that, and correct me if I am wrong). Now, pessimism isn't something to always embrace. However, I myself am naturally optimistic (also pumped, as school has ended), and believe that NO MATTER how opposed your ideas are, they shouldn't be called "stupid" or "bad" or "naive." The dumbest human being can give meaningful feedback, but if they are discouraged from doing so on the basis of their intelligence, then of course they'll act dumb. My idea was meant to add some ES spice; it was an idea of the moment regarding how directives can reward you with something meaningful. Do you think that having some shiny armor is a good reward when it has ABSOLUTELY no effect on gameplay (and can actually affect you negatively at night) and is something other factions will get, any way? Because I don't. I want UPGRADES, not some costumes to put on.
  14. Iridar51

1. You tried hard.

You think that giving a weapon that is straight upgrade to all other equipment is not a problem, because "those would be good rewards that help people, and they will want them". Being absolutely blind to the fact that these straight upgrade weapons will make EVERY OTHER weapon in the game compared to them useless.

People WILL drop everything and do the directive until they get that straight upgrade weapon. Playing without it will feel like playing from behind, like trying to catch up to players who have the more powerful weapon. That's exactly how it is in every other MMO ever made. "Finally I have full gladiator gear on WoW Arena, now I can start playing for real". You deny that.

You think people are "nice". Sure, singled out in a 1 v 1 conversation most people are nice. As a playerbase all together they are one huge destructive force of negativism. Everything they can use against developers, everything that can be twisted to serve a different purpose - will be.

That's how you deserved to be called naive.
    Also, "so insistent"? I called you naive. Once. /sarcasm Yeah, that's worth years of abuse =\

2. I happen to like current directive rewards. I just wish the auraxium shader in 3rd person would be the same as in the 1st person. Auraxium weapons have a majestic shader when you hold them in your hands, but from the side the shader uses a completely different, grainy color that looks bad.

It would also be nice if the armor itself wasn't such a strong give away. Maybe make it visible to enemies only on death screen?

As for the weapons themselves - carbines are in a good place, others could use a bit of adjustment. I have some ideas, but in general I believe that these reward weapons need to be viable and interesting options that provide a unique playstyle, not available to conventional weapons.
  15. Geneaux

I'm agnostic, and why is this relevant? Anyway, I don't have a problem with ideas. What I have a problem with are ideas that are outlandish with the lack any basis or foundation to get there. In the case what you said, you 'thought' that straight OP(or anything considered OP) rewards benefits the player base. That is not how it works and only seeks the ire and wrath of the mass PS2 community as a whole.

TLDR: Balance. It has to be maintained at every point. That is in itself a daunting task in a game with asymmetrical gameplay and factions. Just about any suggestion by the players here, no matter how silly, will at least try to take this into account to some degree.
  16. Shiaari

Perfect. Place "free speech zones" at the warp gates. Players get credit torward the directive by spending time inside hostile free speech zones. Weapons are disabled. You just die. Repeatedly.

And the directive is just always almost done.