Spend money to make money

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RedArmy, Jun 2, 2015.

1. RedArmy

supposedly the company that bought this is a marketing firm, so you would think they know how to market something, these random adds on websites dont help, PS4 will surely make the game more known as there practically no games out on PS4 as is. but with the constant delays and bugs it might just get scrapped with or without PC with it. - based on player base and math, were looking at 20,000 or less active players accross all pc servers, of which 10% would be all access members. that makes this game worth roughly $30k/mo - and thats a high estimate. wouldnt be surprised if it was closer to the $15k/mo it makes. - that doesnt leave alot of room for adverts. the best they get right now is from us, the players from word of mouth. i work at a call center, so it gives me a higher ability to reach out and talk to more than just social media would be able to, but its still only so much. DBG needs to understand in order to make money it HAS to spend it, even 2, 20 second commercials a day would bring ALOT more attention to the game. the war correspondant: robert stoneman, these are potentially some of the best adds that could ever have come out for this game, and they Need to be pushed out there if were gonna make a comeback
    • Up x 1
  2. Leftconsin

Does Planetside get marketed?
    I don't remember ever seeing an ad for it. I learned about it through word of mouth.
    You'd think I'd see a web side bar ad for it every once in a while considering how often I do google searches for Planetside related things.
  3. Dgross

I would expect to see more ads when it releases for PS4
  4. RedArmy

one would hope, but its likly people stumble on the free games section going, "oh, that looks fun" only after they have tried the already free to play PS4 options of Blacklight, and Warframe meeting a similar playgroup
  5. CapEnTrade

[IMG]
  6. RedArmy

^^ he must be an xbox owner
    • Up x 1
  7. CapEnTrade

Certainly looks that way.
  8. Vargs

Over the entirety of PS2's lifespan I don't think I've ever seen any ads for it, though admittedly I use adblock (which should be accounted for since a whole lot of the target audience is going to be using it too). Giant Bomb put out a very lukewarm quicklook back when it came out, led by Jeff Gerstmann who doesn't really like complex or social games and didn't know what he was doing because there is little indication of how to properly play. Aside from that, if I wasn't already into Planetside then I would have no idea that it even exists.
  9. RedArmy

i think with the PS4 launch, we will see a small gain in players on the PC side. but not enough to gain notoriety.
  10. CrankySod

As far as I'm aware they've never done these either, I would think they might very well help. Look at what Warthunder and World of Tanks do in regards to ads. Hell I hate to stoop to this level but Clash of Clans anyone? They advertise so much its insane and they are one of the most played games ever, and it's rubbish!

Youtube ads and banner ads. Not everyone uses adblock, I for one don't.
    • Up x 1
  11. RedArmy

im a tattoed walking/driving ad for the game, im doing my part
    TR logo shoulder Tattoo, Custom TR Bumper sticker, TR Licence plate, Hell i even copywritten my gamer tag (granted its from CNC: Red Alert) but they dont need to know that!
  12. DorianOmega

They did used to have youtube ads going at some point in the past for about a year after launch but that's the only place I remember ever seeing them.

Its not like everyone who has left have forgotten about PS2 and don't check in from time to time, many people are just waiting for PS2 to push out much needed content like meta game, more maps, more vehicles, vehicle weapons, infantry and max weapons, old PS1 type mechanics like orbital bombardment and a similar meta game as an example, ect.

Realistically whats holding PS2 back player count wise Isn't a lack of marketing but a lack of meaningful content being pushed out in a timely fashion or even being announced (conquest kind of came out of nowhere with little time before even hitting the test server). A big issue that hurt player count was optimization which was very much needed but didn't truly happen on a noticeable level until a year after release.
    The last vehicle to be released was the Valkyrie which to many people still needs to be buffed/reworked and before that the harasser with over a year in between that time. Only 1 new map that came out very late, we've had only 4 ES weapon sets come out not counting directive weapons, and something like all of 5 or 6 NS weapons released since launch, 2 ESF secondaries, 1 liberator nosegun and belly cannon added, All of which could and should have been pushed out in at least half the time it took to release; cosmetics are nice but an emphasis on camos and helmets clearly Isn't cutting it and even then we never got new kinds of cosmetics like those player studio armors they announced awhile back and the membership early access cosmetics selection hasn't changed with the exception of a few black camos that were added.

Currently we've got 2 infantry NS weapons in development (Anti Material Rifle and Rocket Rifle), a new game mode (conquest), new ES AV vehicle weapon set coming out, have had the MAX AI weapons models reworked, and have an LMG balance update incoming which looks pretty good, All of which is a step in the right direction, more marketing wouldn't hurt but it would be a much better investment for the devs and all higher ups at DBG focusing on getting out that much needed new and meaningful content in a timely matter.
    Hopefully there's enough devs to make this happen, its no secret that H1Z1 is currently DBGs most focused on IP at this point in time.
    • Up x 1
  13. JobiWan

I saw an ad on TV for Planetside 2. I started playing in June 2014 and the ad was shown not long after that. It was a short ad, on the UK channel ITV, but it was a good ad.
  14. RedArmy

i dont recall seeing any in the US - figure even a 20 second commercial on Adult Swim would be enough to draw in some people