Using scroll wheel skips items

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Yuki10, May 14, 2015.

1. Yuki10

Again today kept on dying because i'm trying to use scroll wheel to select medkit. It's more natural for me scroll the wheel as i can do so blindly and know that I will turn it just enough to select the right item, but it just skips some items and stops on the wrong one. I think this is due to delay in item selection used for wheel scroll.

Same happens when scrolling as engineer to select deployables and other items.

Is there any way to disable the delay for inventory item selection with a scroll wheel?
  2. ChUnKiFieR

Not sure if this will help but look at changing the scroll wheel setting for your mouse in Windows.
  3. Jawarisin

Don't think so. But you should get rid of that habbit. It's very bad to do change with mouse wheel.
    • Up x 1
  4. sIcGER

happened to me with my old mouse - mouse wheel was broken

since then i use keys to change weapons, i have a different mouse now but still prefer to switch with keys
  5. ChUnKiFieR

Or you could always buy a button filled gaming mouse for about $60.00.
  6. RedArmy

and spend all ur time trying to remember what button does what. more buttons = more problems
  7. Konstantinn

1-5 keys work wonders.... but yes, mouse wheel skips a lot and not just in this game. That was one of the first things I unbound when I started playing (mouse wheel doing zoom in and out on mini-map).

Another advantage of 1-5 is you can select any item quickly out of sequence instead of cycling through them in sequence. Mouse wheel really is very inefficient for this. These things matter in a game that has built in delay on weapon switch. It's almost as bad as using arrow keys instead of WASD....

IF YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST handicap yourself by using mouse wheel to switch weapons.... may want to tweak sensitivity in windiows, under Mouse Properties > Wheel Tab > change Vertical Scrolling to fewer lines at a time..
  8. Czarinov

this is an issue for one hour tops.
    • Up x 1
  9. MechSniper1324

My opinion was that scroll changing for your inventory was the way to go when I first started. Then I started dying from this delay junk. I finally listened to Wrel and unbound my mouse wheel from swapping, and put it on minimap zoom. I just swap with my number keys as it's faster and more accurate now. This and I can zoom more accurately on my map now.
  10. Taemien

Can't say I ever used the scroll wheel to hit up a medkit. But I used to use the scroll to select items. But that was before I invested in a decent MMO Gaming mouse. Its a little overkill for PS2. But it does work wonders. My recommendation is the Logitech G600. Beveled buttonkeys, highest DPI potential (if you need/want it) of all the MMO mice (Razer and Saitek), and surprisingly comfortable. It has a Ring Finger button used to simulate Ctrl when using the 12 buttons on the side (I turn this key off). That really helps with stability.

Might be worth a shot if you're needing to use your mouse hand for switching items and keeping your other hand on movement. Its worked well for me. Plus side is Logitech products seem like they can handle a beating. Though Razer I hear is getting better.. and their new Naga's are close to copying many of the features of the G600 (like the beveled button keys, used to be flat).
  11. crocosoborizobaur