Dear forumside, air is 100% balanced, if anything, tanks need a nerf.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ballto21, May 16, 2015.

1. Ballto21

Now i would like to get out of the way right now, this is not actually asking for any changes to anything. Everything is fine as is, i am only pointing out that if anything tanks are worse than air in the overpowered department.

Tanks, except lightnings and prowlers, can one hit kill air and infantry. Prowlers also have an insanely high velocity (locked down at least) so hitting low flying libs and gals is not too terrible a chore, and the titan AP is one of the best AA guns in game. Magrider is "Eh" because velocity.

Armored ground vehicles are the only thing in the game which can easily avoid its hard counter, although im pretty sure this is a bug. Im referring to C4. If i stick c4 to you, and you move, the c4 floats behind you, and explodes behind you, as we can see here

HE tanks (most commonly lightnings and prowlers) can farm with more impunity than air, as the only real counter to a competent tanker is LARGE ORGANIZED LONG RANGE AV FROM RENDER DISTANCE. Let me repeat that.

The only reliable way to destroy a tank cluster is half a squad of AV turrets, or lancers, or three raven maxes from almost render distance. Meanwhile, an air cluster is forced to sod off by a squad of bursters getting pulled, which often happens without coordination as people get annoyed.

let the anger of tankers begin. your ******** as the only real effective counter to you slaps your *** is hilarious to me
  2. Scr1nRusher

Ballto please take a break from forumside.
    • Up x 9
  3. Jbrain

I think tanks are ok.. whats not ok is tanks being able to get inside bases or able to spam shots at the spawn room. to me that is the ultimate cheese. Emerald TR are very good at that tactic too. Rush base with libs and air.. surround with tanks and you literally die if you get even an inch too close to exit. In planet side 1 this wasn't possible and they need a serious redesign to make it like that.
  4. day ofm one

Lol.
    • Up x 11
  5. Ballto21

tanks are fine, im just saying air is too
  6. Ballto21

scr1n im basically a contracted accountant that works from home. i have pretty much nothing but downtime, if it wasnt for forumside ****posting id probably blow my brains out from boredom. Forumside is the true metagame
    • Up x 4
  7. Grumblefern

I disagree. When you pull HE you are very weak against AP vehicles. HE also has a fair amount of drop and a small enough blast radius that it's not that ridiculous anymore.

And yes, you can camp a long distance from C4 risk, but there's ALWAYS some chance of random C4 fairies dropping from aircraft or using drifters or whatever. Or a suicider using a vehicle to get to you (wraith flash or a harasser or whatever).

I don't even think C4 is necessarily intended to be a hard counter to tanks but it actually destroys a surprising number of MBTs statistically.

Here are vehicle death stats just to add some stuff to pick apart and debate -

http://ps2oraclestats.com/monthly-vehicle-deaths/

Note the Raven is the only AV MAX weapon making an appearance...
  8. TheFamilyGhost

Someone died to a tank. #getoverit

Best way to not be farmed by tanks at your spawn: don't be a sheep.
    • Up x 2
  9. Xellon

...but in all seriousness, if there was a HE MBT/Lightning standing atop a hill, shelling the **** out of the Base, the last thing I wanna use against him is C4
    Also, yeah, C4 is bugged atm. But even if it wasn't, AT MBTs/Lightnings, AT Base Turrets, AT Engineer Turrets, and AT MAXes all do a better Job at taking Tanks apart than some puny C4 Fairys.

C4 is a Weapon of Opportunity and Traps. There's a Tank close to the Building you're standing on? - Great, toss some C4 down there and blow that sucker up! Incoming MAX? - Alright, plant some C4 on the Doorframe and wait for his fat *** to roll in!

C4 was never meant to be some kind of "Assault Weapon". You should think of it as a remotely detonated Anti-Everything-Mine. You can toss Mines at Tanks and Infantry, and it can work with devastating effects - However, that doesn't mean it's supposed to work like that, so don't expect it to.

Woops, this post turned out longer than I wanted it to be...

TL;DR: C4 is NOT the hard counter to Tanks because of reasons above.
    • Up x 2
  10. PostalDude

• Up x 1
  11. Alarox

I know you have experience with A2G and using C4 against tanks but I think you're lacking perspective from a tanker's point of view. You seem to be under the impression that HE farming is common and has few counters.

On the contrary HE farming is the rarest thing tanks do anymore because it is extremely situational and leaves you vulnerable to air, other vehicles and even infantry (HE is terrible against infantry unless you're above them).

http://ps2oraclestats.com/?stat=playtime&weapon1=3700&weapon2=3730&weapon3=3731

The trend you see here is consistent with all three MBTs. HE accounts for ~5% tank usage.

In order to farm with HE you need the right bases in the right situations and you sacrifice all viability against anything else. Air, on the other hand, can farm ground at almost any fight and can quickly go between fights at will. They also sacrifice far less for their anti-infantry capabilities, often having dual use in killing vehicles effectively or in maintaining effective defense against other aircraft. They also have no "hard counters" like C4, only deterrents that are designed to scare you away.
    • Up x 8
  12. Kirppu1

Dear everyone, Nothing needs nerfing just fix the f meta
  13. Ballto21

yeah that, couple exceptions but those are extremes and are already mostly fixed on pts
    • Up x 1
  14. Ballto21

the "hard counter" to air is a dalton lib, or AP tank shell. /You may say its difficult (kind of) to do, but so is c4 with how it works, bugged as it is (or lagged i seriously cant tell anymore)

prowlers can snipe infantry mans with AP while having defenses against all other comers, and vanny HEAT is not terrible, as im sure you know. Or i might be wrong in that. I dont have much tank experience myself, last time i drove a magrider seriously was back in 2013 when HEAT was overpowered as ****. Point is, tanks can farm with almost impunity with how their counters work, meanwhile aircraft, while they can more easily avoid their counters, cannot farm if there is flak in that area, or even dogifght with ground based lockons everywhere at times
  15. Nepau

The reason why people hate Air more then Armor is really 2 main factors.

Factor 1: Everyone can pull a tank and have some effect, while Air there is a much larger period of learing before you can be as effective as those that have been farming you. It is a higher skill area ( yes I said it) with a higher entry level, making it feel closed off to many people.

Factor 2: Counters. As much as you talk about counters to tanks being less then Air your actualy wrong. Say a Liberator is bombing you, what are you counters. Lockon rockets (HA only) Burster (Max only), AA turrets or Skyguard.

Now for ground vehicles you have Dumbfires/lockons (HA only), Maxes ( 2 options), 2 types of base turrets, C4 (all classes), Other vehicles ( less of a skill ceiling to counter other vehicles then air), Engineer AV turrets.

By this very nature People don't feel as shoehorned into specific things to counter the Air, which to be fair is a vehicle that is good for Hit and run, and seems to come out of nowhere much more often then a Tank, since it has much more limited movement compared to aircraft. In fact its that limited approaches as one of the reasons people complain about the Magrider because it has the most options of approach then other ground vehicles.

Now don't take this as me saying that There is or isn't balance issues here, but What I am getting at is the underlying reason why it it harder to convince people that Air is balanced compared to ground vehicles.

Balance rarely is a simple numbers game beyond the top level of play, and as such it makes the "Feel" of the power as important as anything that can be balanced on a spreadsheet.
  16. LodeTria

Tanks can't 1 hit Liberators, Valkyries or Galaxys. Are you sure you don't mean ESFs?
  17. OldMaster80

Agreed c4 is not a counter to tanks, it's an opportunity weapon.
    The counter to tanks is other tanks or a liberator.
  18. AxiomInsanity87

This is a good hipster troll thread.

10/10.
  19. Kristan

Man, get a real hobby.
    • Up x 1
  20. Ballto21

I used to have one, then i finished painting over 50000 points worth of warhammer high elves and 20000 points of warhammer 40k Tau.

Id do more, but i dont have the space for that many models
    • Up x 1