Game Mechanics that don't make sense...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ALTRego, Apr 27, 2015.

1. ALTRego

EMP nade a deployed sunderer and it still has its shield?

Bullets travel through shields yet tank rounds do not?

Sorry im a Electronics Major so the ideas are simply not possible no matter how you try to explain.
    • Up x 1
  2. Xiad

This is a game, buddy. Your degree means nothing here. Possible and impossible are words that apply to a game and reality completely differently. For instance, if this were REALLY in the future, don't you think there would be far more advanced technology in general? Our fighter jets are horrendously slow, our tank shells travel at walking pace, heavy machine guns can damage MBT armour, fighters still use noseguns as primary weapons...the list goes on. If you were trolling, then haw haw, you're a bit late to the party, making that joke. If you WEREN'T, reconsider what you are saying for a moment.
    • Up x 2
  3. Flamberge

Obligatory answer:
    Nanites.

Science answer:

Sunderers use modified steam engines to create a semi-permeable membrane of extremely dense hydrogen particles around the sunderer, absorbing any impact damage and dissipating it to particles around the sunderer, very similar to a bullet-proof vest. However, with each impact, the particles compress, which causes many particles to fall off. As these fall off, the modified steam engine replenishes the lost particles. However, if damage is continually dealt to the sunderer, the steam engine is unable to replenish the particles at a sufficient rate, which causes this "shield" to go down.

Bullets travel through shields similarly to the way water takes impact. Slower, smaller objects are able to pass through the surface relatively easy, albeit with a small decrease in velocity. However, very fast projectiles impact the shield at such a rate that the shield is unable to deform quickly enough to allow the projectile to pass through.

Man. Cannot believe I actually spent the time to write that absolute baloney.
    • Up x 6
  4. Ballto21

Shielding from EMP bursts inside the power supply

Kinetic shielding that allows higher velocity object or humans to pass
  5. Nihil

It's for the same reason shield generators are outside the thing they shield... so the enemy can destroy them. It's metagame design. Metagame means "outside" the game (it does NOT mean strategy). The developers are making decisions around making a workable game, rather than what would make sense in the game's setting. It would be stupid to put your shield generator outside the building it's protecting. But if it wasn't outside, the enemy couldn't destroy it. Why do we want the enemy to destroy our gen? So the game can happen!
  6. FateJH

Look, bud, I'm a certified Engineer of the 29th century and I don't have a clue how any of this stuff works either. They give me this pistol-like thing and tell me to point at stuff every now and then; and, they give me this piece of metal to drop on the ground around allies every now and then; and, as long as that big angry guy stops shooting at me, it all works out in the end.
    • Up x 4
  7. Mezinov

Actually, they make perfect sense - compared to other systems.

Lets start with the EMP grenade. This is a small, man-portable device capable of generating an Electro-Magnetic Pulse. The effects of the EMP are determined by the voltage level of the burst, the pulse waveform, and the type of pulse it is. It is reasonable to assume that our voltage level will be low, given it is a man portable device, and that the waveform will be an exponential decay - because it explodes.

It is entirely possible that with our Planetside 2 technology, infantry-portable EMP shielding isn't effective enough to completely stop the effects of these man-portable bursts. However, we have proof that it is effective to some degree as our electronics are only reset - not destroyed.

It is then entirely possible that the shielding on a vehicle, for example a Sunderer, is sufficient to completely negate the effects of these man-portable units. Therefor, to have notable effect on a vehicle borne system you would need to introduce a larger voltage level and more damaging waveform than the man-portable system can generate.

Did you know the US Military has a rig specifically for testing the effects of EMP on their equipment? Making an "EMP Hardened" vehicle is nothing new. Here is an Abrams parked next to one. That EMP generator, about the size of the tank, is meant to simulate an EMP similar to a nuclear blast.

Now on to the subject of shields only stopping some things -

It is entirely possible to develop a system that uses the energy of systems it is interacting with to generate an effect. A simple example of this is shear-thickening fluid. Normally a liquid, as kinetic energy is applied, its particles align to create a solid or near-solid. This effect depends on the amount of kinetic energy applied.

In the real world, this is why shear-thickening fluids are being investigated for body armor. It would be flexible and comfortable under normal circumstances, but it would be able to reactively adapt to a bullet hitting it - making the impacted area hard like an armor plate.

It is possible that our energy shields on bases work on a similar principle. The shield, as powered by its generator, creates a visible and basic barrier - likely a plasma that reacts to electrical and kinetic impulse. As an item enters this shield, essentially applying kinetic energy to the shield, or disrupting an ambient electrical impulse, the field density would change in response. This means the base shield could be made to react to a high amount of kinetic energy by becoming completely solid, for example a tank shell, but react to a low amount of kinetic energy by remaining passable or "fluid"; for example, an infantry trooper walking through.

Based on the behavior of the shields in the game, we can also extrapolate that the effectiveness of a shield in its ability to stop low and high energy objects is in relation to the area it covers and that these shields are linked to an IFF (Identify Friend or Foe system).

This is based on the fact that a spawn room shield, covering a relatively small area, can stop infantry small arms and tank shells - while a base entrance shield can only stop tank shells, covering a relatively large area. This is further reinforced by the fact that Biolab dome shields, which also stop everything, have a complex lattice making any individually shielded area relatively small; even compared to a base entrance.

TLDR;
    Nanites.
    • Up x 4
  8. Lemposs

So you question the effectiveness of things that doesn't have any description of how they work, or exists for that matter? Feel free to actually show us the blueprints for those two things, and explain their inner workings, because clearly these are facts you are hiding from both us and PS2.
  9. Alan Kalane

Lawl,
    an Electronics Major should know that shields do not exist IRL so it is hard to check whether or not tank rounds would pass through them.
  10. Schizomatic

11. ALTRego

Aye it is a game, and these features were implemented in the first planetside, this allowed the infil to escape vehicles and even shutdown the guns for a limited time.

Obligatory reply:
    BS

Science reply:
    Hydrogen doesn't dissipate magnetics, two completely different things.

Your suggesting that the speed of the projectile dictates the effectiveness of the shielding, electro-mag functions at near speed of light so either speed is not effective enough to change it.

TYVM for your reply, glad you took the time out of your day sir.

The effective radius of EMP is proportional to its supply, shielding from it would require a similar supply or larger with an inverse polarity and trigger device both of which must reside within the shielding.

Refer to my answer for speed related affects on objects in the prior statement.

Again the first planetside addressed the issue of infiltraitors not having any recourse VS vehicles, and further advanced it with the threat of losing your vehicle entirely to the other faction with hacking. All that I am asking for is a balance to the natural order.

Haha yea man me too. Just another cloaker out there tryin to get a little help to the cloak game from the devs other than another random pistol I must buy.

WOW tyvm for your time spent writing this reply, I shall try to do you the honor of the same in mine.

Again as said earlier they have an effective radius.

These affects are felt in that radius regardless of initial supply size.

I was military and now work in the private sector with items like these that you mention. Dampening is the correct term and only work to mitigate some of the effects yet do not change the effective radius of the EMP itself. And no they are not that effective to date.

Plasma, really? Or IFF bullets or shells that work on enemy shields? Im not sure you understand the basic concepts of either function at this point. IFF is used to discriminate friendly enemy and should not work on enemy systems.

Again guys nice replies, just not the answers I was looking for or from whom I should hear it.
  12. Ronin Oni

EMP nades disable shields

They also detonate explosives IIRC....

so... there were a bunch of mines around the sundy, the EMP went off, shiled removed, then mines detonated....

lol

As for the shields, they're designed to stop certain thresholds of mass and size, and bullets are below that threshhold.... or something.

Also, when in doubt, the answer is Nanites.

Does star wars laser blaster that fire thick visible projectiles bother you? I mean seriously, it's SciFi... you know... Science FICTION?

All SciFi is riddled with non-scientific fantasy.
  13. Flamberge

Just making sure you didn't take me seriously. What I said had no scientific basis at all. Like, none. Just making sure.

BUT just because it's the internet and we can argue about pointless things... :D

I said that the hydrogen acted as the actual shield, and the steam engine provided the power (in some nebulous way...) which is why the EMP is ineffective, as it does not affect steam engines. (In game science, of course)
  14. Dudeman325420

I'm curious just what sort of answer you were looking for, and from who? Smed telling you that your logic is flawless and that you'll be the new PlanetMans CEO for solving these crippling issues in gameplay balance?
  15. Yuki10

How about bullets in sniper rifle that do NOT actually travel up to the cross-hair and always fly some distance under the center of the scope? You might as well pick-up auraxis donkey crap from Indar and toss it with your hands.
  16. ALTRego

No Dude,

I don't want anything but legit answer for things that just don't add up. In the first planetside, the EMP jammed vehicle guns temp, dropped heavy shields temp, reset specials on vehicles maxes and all infantry. In a clutch situation anyone hit with one usually died quickly and properly used aided in many assaults and defenses. Bottom line, the cloakers in PS2 have never had any defense or offense against vehicles save that of the flash/fury/wraith. I hit a nme sundy today with 7 tank mines and a sticky, it didn't blow. If a cloak and say LA hit together theoretically the c4 or regular tank mines from an engie should work, but they do not. I can see no reason why the effects of the EMP should be limited when they could be apart of more slamdunk combo's that require greater teamwork and more rewards that were afforded to us in the original PS.
  17. Yuki10

Ah, wait you are actually trying to be logical here? Might as well hit your head against the wall. No, it won't make things clearer, but at least you will understand the futility of trying to do it.
  18. Mezinov

I apologize I didn't state my concept clearly, as you have drawn some incorrect conclusions based on what I have said.

We will start with the EMP, however. You state that the EMP, to be countered, needs an equal and opposite response. Ignoring for now the existence of passive grounding technologies, though I will come back to this, our EMP grenade is a handheld thrown device. We don't know what is powering it or, strictly speaking, how it is generating its pulse.

However, we can safely assume that if this powersource and method of generation are small enough to fit in a handheld device - then a vehicle can mount an equal or greater power system just by its capability to carry more weight. If we are just going off of todays technology, lets say we are throwing batteries at eachother.

If we take a 12v battery from an UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply), which I would say is about the limit of what you could expect a person to throw, this is a 12v unit with a 2.3AH output - so we have a total of 27.6 watt-hours. Selecting a truck battery at random, we have 12v at 20AH output - so we have a total of 240 watt-hours. Just there, if our UPS was powering an EMP and our truck was powering the counter off its battery, the truck should win.

This ignores the fact that our truck can also have a portable diesel generator on it, about the size of a lawnmower, that is outputting 30AH @ 120v or 3600 watt-hours. Constantly.

So it is reasonable to assume a Sunderer would be able to re-actively generate a current, or hold in a capacitor reserve (for a fast reaction dump), an opposing current to our EMP.

However, active cancellation is not the only method for countering an EMP. There can also be passive systems, which is where the bulk of our Sunderer comes particularly in handy. These passive systems are already used in everyday portable technology such as cellphones. For lack of a better term, they are basically faraday cages for electromagnetic radiation. They act as a highly conductive path to ground for these energies.

These systems lack in that their efficiency is determined by their size, and their material. Disregarding what meta-materials Planetside 2 engineers may have access to, pound for pound, a vehicle will be able to dedicate more weight to the grounding material than an infantryman. If it takes a 220lb cage to protect a microprocessor, for example, there is no way an infantryman can be expected to carry this in addition to his combat gear. However, to the Sunderer, this is no different than one additional passenger.

All EMPs are not created equal, and the radius of their effects is in relation to the energy and method used to generate them as well as the environments capability to propagate said effect.

Moving on to the shields in Planetside 2, I wasn't implying the shells themselves were IFF. I was implying that the shields have an IFF capability; this is obvious as a Prowler can pass through a TR gateshield but a Vanguard can not. The Vanguard fails the IFF query, and the shield reacts to counter it. Since neither the TR nor the NC in this scenario can shoot their tank cannon through the shield, the shells do not have an IFF system - and therefor can not pass the IFF query.

And yes plasma; it is the most reasonable explanation based on the appearance and function of the shields. With a plasma, we know we can create an electromagnetic field to contain it. We also know that plasma can change in density based on electromagnetic field strength and current applied to it. There are also plasmas that are theoretically reactive to kinetic forces.

If we contain a kinetically reactive plasma in an electromagnetic field, we create a dynamically controllable barrier that blocks kinetic energies above a certain threshold. So, a tank shell hits the shield carrying X kinetic energy. The plasma compresses and aligns in response to this; the shell is destroyed. A infantry bullet, in contrast, falls below the threshold of the plasma, distributed over this area (as we discussed previously) to form a proper lattice. The bullet is therefor not destroyed and passes through.

There are two possibilities at this point; either vehicle entrance is denied solely by the IFF system, or in part by the plasma and part by the IFF system.

In the first scenario, an approaching vehicle is queried by the IFF system. If it passes the query, the gate takes no action, and the vehicle passes through. If it fails this query it applies a current to the shield which forces the plasma to align, creating a physical barrier the vehicle can not pass.

In the second scenario, every vehicle would normally be stopped by the shield as the kinetic energy they generate in motion would force a particle alignment in our plasma. In this case if the vehicle passes the IFF query, the sheild applies a different current or waveform to the plasma, forcing it to thin - changing the threshold at which it would stop the vehicle.

For the purpose of this exercise, we can extrapolate then that the energy generated by a sprinting infantryman is always below the threshold of this system until the area covered by our shield is exceptionally small; for example the size of a MAX Aegis shield or an engineers turret shield - both of which cover areas significantly smaller than a spawn room doorway.

We can also extrapolate, that since both friendly and enemy infantry can pass through a gate shield but not a spawn room shield, that these systems use different IFF systems.

TLDR;
    More Nanites.