Elitism on Planetside 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NC supporter, Apr 19, 2015.

1. NC supporter

What's with all of the so called army generals on planetside 2 forums and ingame. They constantly yell and berate players and boost each other's egos on command. They then come on here and moan and cry about how noobish the game is. When in reality its that gaming has still maintained hardcore aspects but also has started to include lots of casual aspects for the new demographic. The kids. The same kids who will be paying for our retirement funds and probably taking care of us. Times have changed and some people just refuse to move on and admit that Planetside 1 esque games will never be quite as mainstream as they were before. However, gaming has improved in many ways from becoming an art form equal to film, to making stories that match the epics of old. These include the TES series, Fallout series, Mass Effect series, Halo, Witcher series, and Dragon Age games so we got quite a good amount of solid games this era. These elitists could make the game a lot better by just being more positive about our current generation of games. Elitism is prevalent in other games but its pretty bad here and it doesn't help improve the game since if we implemented all the ideas they had. We would probably have a population base of about 500 with no prospects of players joining in since the game would be based off of very old concepts that are outdated in today's market.
  2. CNR4806

All I see is you throwing empty words about an equally empty concept that doesn't refer to anything tangible.
    • Up x 11
  3. BlueSkies

cool story bro?
    • Up x 2
  4. FateJH

If the OP had included the word "post-modern," I would not have been surprised.
    • Up x 4
  5. gigastar

Well have you tried PL'ing?

Most of the time its literally harding cats. Then comes that one day where people listen to you and do (more or less) as you expect them to, and then you cant settle for cat herding anymore.
  6. Hatesphere

and that when you friend those people and start an outfit. open squad leading is hell though, I will agree.
  7. Dreez

The nubs can be better then veteran players. A new player who is willing to learn the tactics, what's important and what to do
    is much more valuable then a veteran who only cares for farming and doesn't bother with the enemy sunderer that just drove around
    the corner of your base...

I would rather have a squad of nubs willing to do what must be done, then a platoon full of farming veterans.
    • Up x 2
  8. Schizomatic

It's a F2P game that somehow manages to get new players, even though I've never seen an ad or mention of Planetside 2 outside of an obscure gaming forum. Being 'elite' at this game is like being the smartest student at your community college.
  9. gamespyer0350

I wouldnt ever.

A platoon of cert farming ****ters (lets be honest, no one "really" farms certs after about BR40 if youre a "veteran") can outfo youre one squads newbs anyday. Drop a platoon of them on a hex, with decent-good spawns and they will take it unless just as matched skillwise or outnumbered. Large outfits of high skill players dominate, most are organized, but if they werent they still would be effective with their numbers and skill level.

New players do nothing in this game except die. They dont have med tools, rez grenades, poitioning as LA, know how(common sense) to use ammo packs and turrets as engi, will spray and pray as heavy (INCREIBLY hard to do on NC default) and dont even get me started on the ****ters who think they can snipe right out the bat. You are literally ruining the game for yourself.

If they ill do what must be done thats great, but they probably cant do it.
    • Up x 1
  10. MikeyGeeMan

Its here. Its prevalent and unfortunately they have scandalous pictures of the devs.

No worries the game is still fun.

Between the hackers and elitists there isn't much room for your casual gamer.

Too much depth for a noob, not enough for the leet. With no in between except koltyr.

I watched a bud of mine play the ps4 version and you cam definitely tell this game has a bunch of leet cryhackers.

But I still enjoy the game.....
  11. CursoryRaptor

I agree with the OP about some of the attitudes I've seen in the game and on the forums. On any given day there'll be at least one thread on the first page of the Gameplay forum about how X playstyle is for [insert slur here] and inferior to the OP's playstyle. And for every one of those threads there'll be a dozen arguments among the other threads about how a player doesn't know what he/she is talking about because [opinion].

From what I've seen, these attitudes don't seem to bring anything positive to the game or the forums.
  12. ComradeHavoc

In layman's terms "saying empty words about something not important that doesn't relate to anything important"

When I read the op's post it seems he's whining about some pseudo nonsense grandfather gamers.

Let me attempt to translate his post:

"There's a (leader-like?)playerbase that I don't like ingame and on the forums. According to me all they do is complain about the game (irony). When in (my) reality games are still hardcore (I assume he means the true stereotype in which older games are less forgiving than newer ones). (Something irrelevant about kids) There will never be another mainstream Planetside 1, "insert new games are good too". Insert peasant box(Loved those games) AAA games list. Old people can make games better by not complaining about how bad a game is. Criticism is everywhere but it's very high for planetside 2, and planetside 2 wouldn't get better if the developers implemented their ideas. We wouldn't have players if we used old ideas."

Wow.... did you hear that gentleman? Those are gamers face palming and dead gamers rolling in their graves.

Criticism is a step into improving anything. Planetside 1 was an amazing MMO, some people may disagree and everyone is entitled to their opinions (even if they're bad ones). People expected that planetside 2 would be a modern version of that MMO, so you can see why older players are upset. And yet they love planetside 2, for all the faults that it may or may not have. Planetside 1 had an amazing amount of features that many players (young and old) wish were in planetside 2.

So when you create a whining post filled with wishes you're doing the same thing as them (the old "commanding players you don't like") except you're not being productive towards the game. They may be jerks for all I know, but if they want something added or changed then it's development for better or worse.

#Where'stheLoadstarAntBfrFlamethrowersLockersDropship
    • Up x 1
  13. Crowne

I play on Emerald. I've encountered some platoon leaders that spew all kinds of nastiness in voicechat since first day of Beta.

On the other hand, I've also encountered some other kinds of outfits.
    Whenever I see an open squad from Tactical Gaming, for example, I hop right in. No yelling, no berating, no ridiculing... just organized warfare. Highly organized, you are requested to participate in the plan as it is laid out. If you choose not to, you won't be yelled at. You'll be given a chance to join the fold or simply cut loose.
    Another fun squad to join, that isn't necessarily organized is the Magical Mystery Bus... or something to that effect. Bring dramamine as the gal pilot is insane. Good music, good spawn logistics, no yelling, no stress, just a good time with fellow gamers.

I'm sure there are more, perhaps other people can chime in.
    If I join a platoon with a remotely abusive lead, I hop right back out. There's no need for it, there's no sense in it, and these people are not leaders by any stretch.

Use mute and ignore liberally.
    • Up x 1
  14. Señor Cinco

An absolute brilliant series of games. I play (have played) them all religiously, with the exception of Halo.

I have been an active member of the Beth forums over the years, since my retirement and waiting out my golden years. FO was my first "shooter" followed by ME. Coming from an RPG genre, I was reluctant at first but found great times within the compelling story lines. Comparing them to artworks of film is rather accurate, IMO. In fact, it's like watching a movie, reading a novel and playing a game at the same time. Going as far to say, writing, directing and staring in them.

I only recently picked up PS2, on a suggestion from a friend. My aging eyesight and reflexes demand that I will royally suck at this game for all eternity. Nonetheless, I have made it to BR50, not that it reflects any sense of accomplishment on my character. Still, I achieved this from mostly a lone wolf playstyle. Granted, it can be viewed as influence of the single player games, but it wasn't my initial intent.

My friend was new to the game but he doesn't play much, after getting me started. I have joined random squads but the unions were short lived. Too much general chatter was the first fault. I don't care if you had chicken for lunch or that you took your dog to the vet. Then, you get everyone screaming over the platoon chat when they only voice I need to hear is my squad leader.

My MO is to take care of the immediate threat or mission. I do not need to hear the strategies or arguments of whats happening at the Bio Lab, when I'm at the Tec Plant. Trying to pick out the little bit of information that is actually relevant to my current situation is a daunting task that drastically hinders my ability to do what I need to be doing. I have no issue doing what I'm told. Chain of command is vitally important in many aspects of life.

I have a developed Medic that I run often, followed closely by my Infiltrator. I couldn't give a rat's *** about K/D or most of the stats, really. I want to be enveloped in the moment and help take care of what needs to be done. Yet, not at the expense of being slammed for not getting to A point fast enough. I just don't know the maps that well and I smoke a lot of pot... so I may get turned around on occasion but that is just something that will come with more time. On the other hand, I am always one of the first to redeploy the second it's called out. THAT I can do and do quickly. It's one button. If I'm busting my *** for the squad and making every effort to get to a rally point, only to be threatened with being kicked, then I do the squad leader a favor and quietly remove myself for them.

Then there is Proxy Chat... after the first week, I completely muted the channel. Mainly because of the occasional mic that blows my ears out. Still, the absence of obnoxious jabber and singing is a much welcomed side effect.

I live a sheltered and isolated life. I guess this ebb and flows into my gaming, as well.
  15. CursoryRaptor

...jerk. :p
    • Up x 1
  16. Kentucky Windage

Who are "they"? WHO? Explain yourself OP. You said "they" come on here. I'd like a clarification as to who "they" actually is.
  17. Señor Cinco

lol... I'm a miserable bastard, I know.:D
    • Up x 1
  18. Ianneman

"Get in that building you miserable pieces of ****"
    "Wow, they have A point, I won't even say it's a disgrace, it's absolutely pathetic"
    "What the **** you think this channel is for, chit-chat? Don't ******* interrupt me again with your useless chatter you worthless ****"

Seriously, what are these kind of people overcompensating for? What is so **** about their lives that they feel the need to treat people like they're some MASTER COMMANDER SARGE on an online game (where there's plenty of users like 15-17 years old too)?

I feel sorry for them as well as the poor people who actually "obey" these kind of abusive morons, holy lord. Whenever I see overly coordinated zergs I just love pulling out HE and slamming that control point knowing that on the other end there will be one tightly-wrapped commander shouting in frustration.
  19. Rayden78

Planetside 1 was mainstream? I must have missed that .. when i joined in 2 years before it died.
  20. McToast

Is calling out "Elitism" still a thing? It's so 2014...