[Suggestion] Bring back lootable corpses from planetside 1 (and many other fps games from ye olde 2000)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ballto21, Apr 12, 2015.

1. wrenched

Willful ignorance
  2. Ballto21

It was simple to implement 10 years ago
    Even 20
    Its simple to implement in H1Z1, 7 Days to Die, Day Z, i know im listing a lot of survival games but you get the point.
  3. Ballto21

You would also assume the infiltrator hadn't already placed his mines. It would be a very high risk high reward task to take upon yourself to do things like that, but it would be far from gamebreaking simply because everyone could do it.

It would also be very profitable to DBG. Think about it, when you first started playing and had a major issue getting certs, did you buy weapons with SC? Answer is probably yes. You may have bought weapons you disliked or otherwise felt meh to your playstyle. You couldve bought a Bolt or Shotgun you dont like. Being able to pick it up and use it is a better sales pitch than 30 minutes or VR.
  4. Ballto21

Sounds like youre making the mistake of either running with pubbies or being nc.
  5. Ianneman

Could implement something MMORPG style where an enemy has a 0.00001% chance of dropping a weapon to unlock. Like if you kill a Raven MAX and loot his corpse, you have a 0.000001% chance to get Vortex/Fracture unlocked. If you already have it, you'll get something like a 200 cert bonus or something. Same could go for tanks, where enemy tanks will drop parts that you can run over and collect, giving you vehicle stealth, or top gun reload speed certifications, etc.

Other than that could have things like, instant ability recharge packs with 10% chance to drop, ammo with 10% chance to drop, and like 0.05% chance for an ammo pack that will allow you to exceed your ammo capacity just for that pickup, stuff like that.
  6. ashen

It's not an implementation problem or even a game balance one, it's an F2P thing.

They want people to spend the cash on weapons to use them. Which is probably the same reason you can't hack vehicles like in PS1.

If it were just power-ups it would reward killstreaking like CoD, which puts a bigger gap between novice and expert players. Again, this isn't something they can really promote through mechanics when it's already possible to gain a gear advantage through the store. Even if it's cert bought, a BR1 needs to stand a chance against a BR100.
  7. Turiel =RL=

Planetside 1 had a ton of awesome ideas which mostly got ignored during the development of Planetside 2.

In fact, it is quite funny or even weird that Planetside 1 developers designed a better game without having anything to copy or get inspired from. Planetside 2 devs on the other hand had a ton of the great ideas presented to them on a silver plate and all they did was throwing them in the trashcan.

Having said that, I see a 0% chance that we will get lootable corpses.
  8. Movoza

The engine determines the most of what is possible and what is not. In this case, it would make all infantry a form of terminal. You can see that loading a terminal might take some time even with the stationary one's. It is much more intensive on the server, as you have to set up either a information channel the moment you interact with the corps to see the weapons. Que the latency and ping. The other way is much more intensive but lets you loot quicker, which is making it available to everyone in the neighbourhood the moment you die. This will increase traffic, as you now also have to send information of bullets in reserve and such to the server, giving a small traffic spike (bullets in reserve and such are normally client based, not server based). So all you do is create an traffic intensive movable terminal. Not a good combination for the current engine or setting. 100 people dead? 100 terminals that send their information around.

Yes it could be done years ago, but they created the engine to accommodate for it. If you didn't accommodate it beforehand in the engine, then you are royally screwed. You can see that with weapon systems. Many fanprojects have added extra functions and weapons to some RTS games for example. They then find out that they can't really add extra functions on a tank, as amount of weapons/functions is limited due to the engine. It is near impossible to change the engine at that point without breaking a whole lot of stuff.

As mentioned by other people, it might give some weird survival things. A LA with C4, killing a dude, quickly getting his healing sticks, healing, swapping it out for C4 again. A good player just keep popping those healing sticks and gaining more, becoming nearly unstoppable? The reign of grenades might do that too? Will MAX units be included as terminals? What if a HA tries to swap his LMG for the SMG the infiltrator has? Will a message be displayed, will the infil get his weapon locked, will the game crash to desktop?
    Why will you give people the option to play nearly every weapon without certing in it? I battled hard for my weapons. I'm not grinding my directive weapons, but I am slowly advancing to them. Oh wait, I suddenly have nearly all directive weapons of the enemy. I can do without it! I'll just keep equipping the battlegoose as I can just grab it from nearly any VS character in the game.
    What will you do with tracers? And what about medals and ribbons? Won't you destroy the way people can listen to cues for enemies, as now suddenly every single enemy weapon can also be fired by a friendly? Why will you give people the option to gain their nanoweave (which is in the suit or skin!) or jetpack? Cert in it or don't, but I don't like it if you can just grab it from an enemy and disturb the balance.

Although the above might be a bit chaotic, I have no time to refine it. Still, it shows a lot of questions that need to be answered before you can even think of implementing it. I have the idea this is more of a "It would be nice if" idea, than a real idea that is well explained and looked at from every angle.
    • Up x 1
  9. Ballto21

Engine point is a good one. Bit of a techno illiterate when it comes to this kind of thing.

As for the rest, its still a huge risk to anyone who loots the body as youll be unable to react in time, so youd assume an LA or grenade cleaned out the whole group, nothing was coming, he was able to pick off survivors, he had time to search the corpses for c4/medkits before the packs despawned, had time to reequip what he had, and flutter away without any other enemies coming or his stuff despawning.

If the backpack shows up after the corpse despawns, youd not have to worry about reviving with a non compatable weapon or 100 terminals at a time, only as many as the medics dont revive (Oh wait........)

If they cant keep it forever, theres more incentive to buy it than roll the dice that you find someone using it, babysit the corpse, and hope it has attachments that youd like instead of something silly like a darklight flash suppressor HVA and 4x scope.

Directive weapons, again, decay timer, gotta find a beetlegoose, babysit a corpse, assume youre safe to loot, etc. Having limited access to it on a timer wont suddenly make every TR carry a battlegoose, even further restricting it to only last for that life instead of storage for directive weapons only.

Tracers would remain the same. I direct you to NS weapons for the rest, and the minimap more more, and several other cues that arent specifically audio.

I can already get Claymore ribbons and medals by detonating them on my VS and killing enemies with an EMP, or on the ML-7 if the user kills himself with it after i damage him.

Thats mostly to help the nooblits. To continue the LA example you are simply less effective as an LA without c4 or certed jumpjets. Just how it works. Being able to have the chance for one life to have certed jumpjets would balance the game for new players, because a br 80 with rank 5 jumpjets and rank 4 nanoweave (or whatever the second to last is on both) probably wont bother looting them as much as a br 12 with rank 2 jumpjets and 3 nanoweave.
  10. FateJH

Hindsight is 20/20.

It seems "simple" because, for Planetside Classic, it was built right into the system from day one and the progression model supported it. We would be starting with at least two shortcomings (three if you count dropping items without them having to be in an inventory), the specifics of whose reconciliations we'd have to work. The framework of the game is different by design. Even if we imported GUIs and source code, it's not going to just mesh like magic (or nanites; whichever).

The person who thinks this is "simple" is simply underthinking it.
  11. Ballto21

sorry. been explained to me, i now realize the more technical limitations, still seems it should be possible. doesnt h1z1 use the same 9or similar) engine with lootable bodies?
  12. FateJH

Forgelight is not Planetside 2. Forgelight is not H1Z1. Forgelight is not inventory space.
    Forgelight is the graphical rendering, the networking, the gravity and rag doll, the lighting and fogging. Built on top of that is the game "with lootable bodies."
  13. Ballto21

Got it. Thanks
  14. ohmikkie

The only problem I see with this is that PS2 is a class based system. Hovering over a corpse in a context menu trying to decide what to take can get one killed.

If PS2 was not class based but loadout based like PS1 (I think - never played) or MAG this would make sense.

An alternative is to do what Battlefield do and that is to implement a one click loot that will change your class. Very handy if as a heavy being a lone survivor one could loot enemies or friendlies and and revive the rest of the squad.
  15. MasterTater

Again I want to cite Ballto´s statement for this question:

A) It was a system easy to implement 10 years ago
    B) No response
  16. Jake the Dog

An infil picks:
    up a raven arm...
    or
    a Godsaw
    or
    a T7 Minigun
    or
    a jackhammer
    or
    a mutilator
    or
    a decimator...

This could be easily exploited. People tk others for weapons to better stock their characters with weapons they otherwise couldn't have...

annnnddd the games broken. However would be interesting and alot of fun.
  17. Ballto21

Did you notread the part where i specifically addressed this in the OP?
  18. Jake the Dog

lol I skimmed it and apparently missed that XD

In any case I still think it would lead to people TKing to grab weapons from others which could be addressed in the form of TKs cannot drop weapons.
  19. Demigan

How about we look for alternatives to the system?

As some people remarked, I would also have a problem with tracers and weapon sounds being similar. I understand that NS weapons already offer the ability to carry weapons that have similar sounds cross-faction, but they at least are known and will stay known as weapons potentially being held by an enemy.

So how about an alternative: the ability to quickly steal ammo and loadouts from enemies?
    You could do it 2 ways, or a combination of the two.
    Alternative 1: You walk up to a dead enemy, you press the loot-steal button and your guy instantly kneels down and starts looting. He steals ammo and possibly switches out utilities (if applicable).
    pro's/cons:
    +The kneeling down plus short timer gives the server time to request ammo and utility status from the dead player, then communicate that to the looter
    +add another button to view items of the nearest corps. This reduces traffic between server and players, especially when there's 96+ live and dead one's about
    +/- players are unable to take only one thing. It's the whole package or not.
    +/- you can make all weapons, grenades and utilities that are switched dissappear. This makes swapping your own stuff back after using some loot impossible
    +/- you can make it impossible to loot friendly corpses. This disables being able to throw down C4/utilities from a dead friendly... who doesn't have to pay resources for new C4/utilities, which would allow an unlimited resource exploit.
    Alternative 2: You walk up to an enemy and are able to see what stuff the nearest corpse has. You can use specific buttons to instantly get ammo or switch seperate stuff.
    Example: you walk up to an enemy corpse and see that he's carrying 3 frag grenades in a bandolier as well as some medkits. You don't have a bandolier but you have used a vehicle grenade, you are also carrying some unused C4.
    You press "Y" to switch out grenades, you suddenly carry 1 frag grenade ("y" is just an example).
    You also want to get the medkits, you press "U" for the medkits and your C4 dissappears to be replaced by the medkits
    The next guy that walks up to the corpse see's this:
    any ammo that's left, 2 frag grenades. Nothing else (alternatively you can let the C4 appear there, but that would still open up the posibillity of giving C4 or other utilities to friendlies so they never have to pay resources for them).
  20. Jake the Dog

Also, how would this affect the characters stolen from when resurrected? Do they only have their pistol? Do they start off with a whole new inv?