Should I focus on one class or branch out or both?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ugybug1900, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Ugybug1900

So I've been mainly playing as medic for the self heal benefit. But I find myself unable to compete in some situations. I wonder if I should focus only on one class and spend all my certs on it or should I spread my certs outs. Or maybe I should mainly focus on my main class but know how to play the others correctly and spend some certs on the other?
  2. Tommyp2006

Every class has their uses, some much better in certain situations than others. You'll eventually want to cert out every class, but I try to tell newer player to focus on certing out one class at a time, otherwise you'll spend a lot of time with a bunch of barely certed out classes instead of a few really good ones. You really only need to get the tool and ability slot for that class maxed out, with a few levels of whatever suit slot you prefer, before moving on to the next.
    • Up x 2
  3. Viztorgath

I personally just found something I liked and spent almost all my certs into that first. Dumped just a few certs to make some alternatives fun. For me it was HA first with c4/nanoweave/deci/flare/etc. with just a few certs spent on lightning to get it a bit operational (kept the viper since I was poor) but got some autorepair and ammo/scope for infantry farming when possible.
  4. Cirena

Yes, that's probably how most do it when starting out. I'd stick to medic and upgrade the heal gun, get a medkit or two and swap the self-heal for the shield dong. Heal/revive your teammates and the certs should roll in. Look up Wrel's guide to medic certifications on youtube.

Pick up a few useful items from the other classes and swap to them if the situation calls for it;
    - Ground to Air launcher (heavy)
    - Anti-tank mines (engineer)
    - Basic bolt action sniper rifle (XM98 for Vanu iirc) with a straight pull bolt.
  5. Evito

Depends on how you prefer to play the game. If you want to be competitive in infantry 1v1, i'd cert out the heavy assault and learn how to play that class, since you said medic seems to under perform.

To answer your question, you don't necessarily have to cert every class, but a lot of them do come in handy at times. For example, you notice an enemy armor column advancing, if you had tank mine/engi or c4/la, you could easily get a few vehicle kills.
    Or say your lonewolfing and defending a base, having certed infiltrator darts or motion spotter will help you scout out enemies, after which you can switch to a class like heavy and wipe them out.
  6. Obstruction

to get the most out of your early game, stick with 1 thing. since you've put a lot of certs into medic keep doing that, and focus on avoiding those situations where you can't compete. you'll earn certs more consistently and soon enough be able to start certing up a vehicle or another infantry class. when you do branch out, focus on something that helps fill in the gaps you described when playing only medic, or something that otherwise brings more versatility to your game.

the only exceptions to this would be dropping the 250 certs for your G2A lock on launcher (Grounder, Hawk, or Nemesis) and the however many it is for the other MAX "Burster" AA weapon. everyone should get those.
  7. wrenched

If you really are VS, just go heavy. Orion is great gun and you get it free so 1000certs saved. Spend certs on medical kits and there's your self heal.
  8. Ballto21

Basically this. Id recommend certing out an offensive and a support class. Example cert your support class as fast as possible and dabble in an offensive one (LA for example), that way youll have your medic all nice and cert farmy and a combat class ready whenever at at least some level of ability.

Faction bias. Ignore. The CARV is also a great gun, free, theres 1000 certs saved. Only difference is one is more defensive/squad oriented and ones more offensive/solo/small group oriented.
  9. wrenched

Explain how to get CARV as Vanu?
  10. Ballto21

I was just jabbing you for general orion comments, thought you were going off on ADS multipliers again. Sorry for assuming.
  11. DrPapaPenguin

Branch out, and use the class which is best for the situation.
  12. Dumpsterprophet

yea great advice thats all this game needs is more vanu orion HA's running around.

[IMG]