GSYNC and PS2

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by VanuZuma, Feb 25, 2015.

1. VanuZuma

I haven't played PS2 in months due to many reasons but just recently purchased an ASUS ROG Swift 1440p Gsync monitor and wanted to see how PS2 looked and felt. To my surprise its absolutely terrible. The frame rate jumps erratically from high 100s to 50 to 70 to 50 to 90 etc within seconds. All these different frame rates constantly changing every causes a horrible stuttering playing experience. This is the exact opposite of what gsync is designed and does normally produce.

Note that this is the only game that I have tested so far where Gsync didnt make the playing experience smoother and more fluid than coming from a 120hz monitor. Battlefield 4 is butter smooth, as is Crysis 3, Warframe and many others.

Is there something about PS2 that doesn't like Gsync? I have smoothing turned off and obviously vsync off as well. Turning smoothing on makes no difference either way.

Anyone's advice or knowledge would be much appreciated as I would like to start playing PS2 again.
  2. user300115

Could you disable SLI for a try?
  3. Lord_Mogul

Maybe the issue behind it lies in the inefficient CPU usage.
    Seen people benching their framerate in an empty warpgate where everything was fine.
    Than they jump into the occasionally zergfests (like 96+ vs 96+ biolab farms on Indar) and complain about their framerate.

And maybe the games need to support GSync better. (Like with the 3D tringy, some games play and look like crap when activated)
  4. VanuZuma

GSYNC doesn't work like 3D or other technologies through drivers. All its doing is taking the frames the card gives the monitor and displaying them as it gets them. It's hardware to hardware. So a game doesn't have to be programed to run gsync. It just works because it doesn't rely on the game or other software.

I will try turning sli off to see what happens, but then I will suffer low fps because of running at 1440p. Defeats the whole reason why I built my rig and why I pc game.
  5. sixoo

i play it well vsynced on windowed fullscreen and win 7 dwm triple buffering. i think you should at last lock fps to 60, even if you have a 120hz monitor.
  6. Aldaris

There's no need to run vSync for the OP if he had a gsync monitor.
  7. vlaamseleeuw

the Q is will ps2 run smoother on a gsync monitor.
    sure we would all like to know right? :p
    i would suggest on trying to cap your frames at 120 and make sure that all vsync options are off (driver and game) and report your findings .
  8. VanuZuma

It seems that the issue lies with SLI and Gsync running at the same time. I have always had issues with PS2 not feeling smooth on my system but for whatever reason adding gsync to the scenario with SLI only makes it worse, or just further demonstrates how horrible the game handles multi gpu support.

When I turn off SLI gsync does what its supposed to do and everything is fine and dandy. Except for the fact that im only then using one 680 and trying to play at 1440p. Its not ideal and I need the second card to get higher fps. But something is vary wrong with the sli support for the game so it is what it is at this point.
  9. Magma52

I know what you mean. It's never a winning solution to have to use one card when you have two available...but unfortunately I have been through this before and the general consensus is that SLI / Crossfire just doesn't work for this game.

Back when I had 6870 CF the frame rate would be distractingly erratic. Now I have moved over to GTX 980 single things are consistent.
  10. Lord_Mogul

I'm running just 1 card, and it's not even something with the power of a 680 (660 Ti to be excatly) but my framerate is nearyl always limited by cpu (limited my framerate to my monitors refreshrate) so what settings and resolution are you using that one GTX 680 cannot provide stable framrates, when almost everyone is CPU limited in fights?
  11. VanuZuma

Im running 2560x1440p with all settings except shadows maxed