EMPs and NC Weapons.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AlterEgo, Feb 26, 2015.

1. AlterEgo

Considering that NC weapons rely on electromagnets to propel their projectiles, wouldn't it be interesting if EMPs affected NC weapons in some way? Maybe they seriously made the weapon's accuracy decrease, and because of that, the weapon effectively turns into an inaccurate shotgun that kills in two hits regardless of damage model. Post your ideas; this is an interesting topic that relates to actual science, so show off, my science people!

P.S. I realize that NC weapons are kind of hybrids (they also use conventional tech), but meh.
  2. FateJH

Vanu weapons are pretty much all technology too, probably even moreso than NC weapons. Shouldn't EMPs affect them as well under that same logic?
    • Up x 10
  3. NinjaTurtle

This would break game balance so bad it wouldn't even be funny. Nothing has a direct effect on an enemies weapons and their functionality currently so to make this a feature and have it effect only 1 faction would be a very foolish mechanic
    • Up x 1
  4. CWorth

As much as the stupidity in this post does not even deserve a reply I am going to do so.

Use your head.

YOUR OWN WEAPONS are far more technology and electronics based than NC weapons are. So as has been said already those very EMP's should effect you as well.

And even doing it to yours would break balance in game far worse than it already is.
  5. AlterEgo

Well, VS weapons aren't exactly ELECTROMAGNETIC. They instead rely on advanced alien alloys that contain plasma and fire them via massive balls of death. But I wouldn't mind if shooting them had serious effects.
  6. AlterEgo

Dayum.

That was constructive, man:(
    Also, ADVANCED ALIEN ALLOYS. All VS weapons do is contain plasma and release them in massive balls of death; it uses no conventional parts.
  7. AlterEgo

It would also have upsides. Did you see the two hit kill part? I mean, I understand this would be devastating for many, but I'm just saying it would be a unique mechanic. What if it only affected certain weapons, such as the Rail Jack? That's the only true EM gun in the game.
  8. CorporationUSA

Yes, let's make EMPs mess up NC and VS weapons. Then TR can win every battle by spamming EMP grenades. Brillliant idea...
    • Up x 1
  9. Flamberge

How about let's make it affect nanites.

/game
    • Up x 2
  10. AlterEgo

Do tell me how it'll affect VS weapons. Seriously, advanced alien alloys, coupled with the lack of any truly electromagnetic parts in these alien weapons which simply need to contain ionized gas, will obviously get affected by a grenade which has been around for nearly a full millennium.
  11. AlterEgo

At least it's not as harsh as everybody else:'(
    But sure, why not?
  12. zombielores

The phrase ''Changing Batteries'' mean anything to you.
    • Up x 3
  13. Flamberge

From the all-knowing Wikipedia:
    All of which utilize electricity. Also,
    Plasma also conducts electricity, and responds strongly to electromagnetic fields, aka an EMP.

So yeah.

Then again maybe Vanu plasma is like their Spandex, inexplicable and beyond human understanding...
    • Up x 3
  14. AlterEgo

>.>

<.<

Nope. *Scratches head*
    I mean, how are advanced alien batteries going to be affected by an electromagnetic grenade? It would have no effect, considering how VS weapons only use plasma or these very alien alloys to fire projectiles, not magnets and electrical conductors.
  15. Flamberge

Don't want to spoil anything, so I'm just going to say:
    Please see my previous post.
  16. AlterEgo

CURSE YOU, INTERNET!
    Well, in that case...
    Wait... wait a minute. Lasers do not necessarily require electricity to focus energy beams. Therefore, gas can still be ionized and turned into plasma WITHOUT electricity. Also, have I told you about the ADVANCED alien alloys? If we were to compare the strength of NC weapon alloys and VS weapon alloys, which one would you think is:
    -Stronger?
    -Lighter?
    -More temperature-resistant?
    -Able to ignore the effects of an EM grenade as it would not permit the grenade's waves from actually messing with the weapon's internal structure?
    -Has spandex been taken into account?

In reality, only that last question matters.
  17. Asageh

The new EMP changes seem a bit over the top, not because it effect Heavy Shields now, it affects turrets and Ammo Packs.
    • Up x 1
  18. Flamberge

DARN IT. Can't argue with Spandex.

Oh yeah? Yeah? Well, FREEDOM!

Anyway, I have just about come to an end to my knowledge of optics, and I'm to lazy to read the rest of the Wikipedia page...
  19. AlterEgo

While it may be useful, the almighty Wikipedia is too powerful for mere beings to endure:(
  20. AlterEgo

Indeed. I do hope they'll rebuff Concussion grenades if they made EMPs this useful. I mean, I like that the Infiltrator has access to something as useful as the EMP, but I don't see why the Heavy can't have its own toy back. Also, considering that the EMP can only be used by the Infiltrator, I believe the incoming anti-materiel rifle should be given to the Engineer. It would make sense to give it to him, as Heavies already have AV weapons and Infiltrators don't exactly need them; hacking would do the trick, though.
    • Up x 1