Which faction have best Light Assault arsenal/weapons in you opinion? Plus analysis of carbines

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mystogan, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Mystogan

So I am curious to this, as I have found myself unable to pick up clear winner. I think that all faction have very good options, but I am strongly interested in hearing constructive feedback on this.

Here is my analysis for carbines . I wanted to write down how I see good weapon choices for LA in each faction, using following trades: TTK, role, versatility.

Here is my analysis for carbines.

1. Lets start with default carbines: Mercenary, Solistice and TRAC-5.

Here a clear winner for me is TRAC-5, Mercenary super close 2nd and Solistice is inferior to those two. TRAC-5 and Mercenary are great all-arounders, being potent in both close and mid-range. Mercenary being slightly better at mid-range but TRAC-5 being much better at CQC. TRAC-5 wins for me because of faster ROF, which let it performs better in CQC and 40 bullets per mag, which help a lot during mid-range shotting at moving targets or engaging 2-3 opponents.

2. Next are dedicated CQC carbines: GD-7F, Serpent, VX-6-7 and Lynx.

Here clear winner are GD-7F and Serpent. Lynx 40 mag and damage fall off only to 100 make it more potent on mid-range and does not have so wild recoil but if we take into consideration CQC pure role- VS and NC are just better. With GD or Serpent you can even win 1v1 with HA, because DPS is just insane, and both are perfect weapons for pick-a-boo tactic. You look from edge of the roof- ratatata! Target dead, cover, reload. In right circumstances it is almost insta-kill. VX I can’t decide, it recoil kicks like mule, it is dam hard for me to control it on mid-range. It has fantastic hifire profile. But I find Lynx more controllable. Hard choice between those two….

However when comparing GD-7F and Serpent…I can’t decide. GD has better velocity (80 m/s better!!), but Serpent has more controllable recoil on mid ranges? I think one is better at mid-range bursts but I can’t pick up which to get a winner- I am counting on your opinions here.

3. Next are long range carbines- Puslar C, Razor, Cougar and T5 AMC.

Personally I find Pulsar C and clear winner, hands down. Razor and Cougar are both great, but Pulsar C is laser-precise weapon that also have slightly higher ROF, allowing user to have higher chances to survive in CQC situations. Razor and Cougar are close. Razor has better velocity and faster reload. However Cougar has 5 more bullets in magazine and 35 more bullets in ammo pull (one more magazine). Their recoil stats are exactly the same. For me Cougar is better. Why? I am not sharp shooter (23-24% accuracy on carbinres) so 5 extra mags are worth gold for me. Also, many times I am on good killstreak spot and run out of ammo, which makes me having to go and resupply, loosing my kill opportunity. One extra mag is 2-3 more kills for me before I have to fall back so for me= Cougar. T5 AMC is imo between Pulsar C and Razor? Why? Again- 40 mag, laser precision, super velocity, no recoil.

4. Next- 0,75 carbines- Jaguar, Zenith, Bandit.

Jaguar wins hands down, best all-around carbine, good CQC power, good mid-range bursting. Zenith horizontal recoil makes me MAD many times. It has AFG and Compensator, suggesting its mid-long range role, yet is has horizontal recoil of CQC carbine and lack both HVA or SPA. It is carbine without role, but not so all-arounder as Jag. Bandit is just bad. It does nothing better than other carbines and what does good, Mercenary does better.

5. Next and last- All-Around carbines. Versatility and jack-of-all trades. Good in CQC and good at mid-range. Carbine you want to get when battle situations can change.

Here I have following candidates: TRAC-5, Jaguar, Zenith, Pulsar C, Mercenary. In my opinion Jaguar, Mercenary and Pulsar C are best all arounders. Jaguar can be great at close and mid ranges, Puslar C is always accurate but 577-167 profile (same as GD-22S) makes it good all arounder that can work in many situations. Close second is TRAC-5, as default carbine. It won’t fail you in mid or close range and TRAC-5 40 mag will secure your kills or prevent you from reload-kill.

6. Honorable mention- Cyclone.

This baby is just almost-carbine. It has CQC power and DPS, easy recoils, super hipfire and if you are good HS player with ALS you will drop shielded HA before they will shot one bullet at you. It is so much better than other 1-st gen SMGs, that I think it is just unfair advantage over VS and TR.

You can see that I didn’t mention AX-11 here. Reason is I found this weapon doing nothing better than other can do. Razor, Cougar, AMC and Pulsar C are much better at mid-long ranges. In CQC Serpent, GD, VX and Lynx win hands down and AX is not your all-arounder carbine, low ROF and small mag size do not allow for it.

7. To summary:

I think best jack-of-all trades arsenal is for TR. Most forgiving damage model (750-143) with 40 mag size allow them for bigger mistake margin and helps a lot. They have best two all-arounder carbines- TRAC-5 and Jaguar, witch Jaguar being also 0,75 ADS weapon which is a lot.

TR however lack equal power in CQC, where NC with GD-7F and Cyclone and VS with Serpent and VX just win hands down. Lynx is nice but its CQC power is not enough imo. And Armistace is just worse Lynx. Eridani is quite nice, however I see no reason to take it over Serpent or VX.

Mid-Long range Pulsar C wins by large margin. Precision, control and faster ROF make it better than NC or TR dedicated guns.

All arounders carbines- TR and NC. TR having two carbines here (TRAC-5 and Jag) and NC with Mercenary. VS absolutely lack good all-around carbine. Zenith could be one, however it has two main problems- horrible horizontal recoil, which makes AFG a must and even than you still fell it on mid ranges and lack of SPA to help its CQC role. 0,75 is not enough for me. VS are in problem here, since they need to decide between CQC and mid-long range, while do not have acces to any decent close-mid range option.

8. Balancing changes suggestion I’d like to propose:

- - Make Lynx ROF faster to match Serpent/GD
    - - Change Zenith horizontal recoil to 0.2/0.2 ( VS are about accuracy and easier handling at cost of ROF and velocity, which both Zenith already gave up) and add SPA or HVA to its ammo options.
    - - Reduce GD-7F velocity to 480 m/s sec and buff Serpent velocity to 450 m/s.
    - - Buff Eridani and Armistace horizontal recoil shakes to match Cyclone versatility.

Now- what is your opinion? Which faction has best carbine arsenal and what weapons you think stand out for your/other faction.

PS. I still need help with Serpent vs GD-7F :D
  2. MahouFairy

Off topic, but I like Fairy Tail too. ;)
    • Up x 1
  3. sindz

GD-7F is far superior to The serpent :)

NC wins in every single infantry weapon category simply due to they have everything, and their non NC weapons have no downsides. (old relics of flinch days).
  4. Mystogan

I do not understand your post. As you said- it is off-topic so why do you even post here?

My above analysis is my personal feeling for carbines and judgement. That is why I made this thread- I want to know other people opinion about topic. In every point I wrote "in my opinion", "for me" etc.
  5. MahouFairy

Ohh nvm.
  6. TheAcidpiss

GD-7F far superior to the serpent?

You must be smoking crack
  7. sindz

WAtch the review small son and then get back to me.
  8. keqe

Trac-5 is miles better than Jaguar for all-rounder. Even with foregrip Jaguar shakes like hell, reducing its effective range by a lot. Trac-5 is accurate to surprisingly long ranges when equipped with foregrip. The .75 ads speed is really good but it doesn't help much at mid-ranges when the thing can't even reliably do body shots. This is my own personal opinion.

I play engineer though so the fights happen in different situations than light assault.
  9. TheAcidpiss

ive seen the review, ages ago

go watch the reviews with all 3 faction weapons with high RoF together then get back to me.
  10. Prudentia

For me all 3 factions are actually pretty close to being tied, tough on a closer look it's more akin to
    NC>=TR=VS
    reason being that as a Light Assault you can just chose your engagements at will so 2 stats are very important:
    reload speed
    Damage per mag
    reload speed influences how fast you can reengage a group of enemies and Damage per mag how much damage you can do to a group of enemies per engagement
    VS entire focus is on reengagement times
    TR focus on engagement efficency
    NC can chose between both

and i view 167*30 as pretty much the optimal weapons for Lightassaults, because they combine the best of both worlds, with a lower BTK, higher accuracy to use roofs to shot down at enemies a higher DPM than 143 damage weaons, easier ammo conservation due to the lower rof and still a fast reload.
    this translates into:
    Pulsar C best VS carbine
    Bandit best NC Carbine
    Cougar best TR Carbine
    however:
    Zenith and Jaguar both really benefit from .75 ADS. The jaguar goes the DPM path and the Zenith the Reload one making them competetive and/or even better than the 167ones. The Bandit combines both paths AND .75 so it's basicly the king of Light Assault weapons
  11. sindz

Great review there sonny. Now educate yourself on horizontal tolerance, recoil angle and first shot recoil and get back to me.
  12. TheAcidpiss

Get off your high horse buddy, your saying the GD is FAR superior to the Serpent.

Im saying its not.

Patronizing keyboard warriors piss me off to no end.

Do yourself a favour
  13. sindz

And who started it mr. crack smoker. Look inwards.
  14. TheAcidpiss

I insinuated that you smoked crack, hardly patronizing

Now if I said: " Learn what patronizing means kid "

Then you would be absolutely correct :D
  15. Mystogan

Please, stop off topic. Cna we get back to some constructive discussion?

Thank you.

It seems for now that GD-7F > Serpent as it is easier to control at mid range and in CQC both perform same.

Eh...NC, always get best stuff.
  16. Pikachu

Razor be long ranger over ac-x11? :confused: Anyway razor is boring.
  17. NinjaTurtle

I could make babies with the AC-X11
  18. Mystogan

I am not saying AX is bad. It is just for me Razor, Cougar, AMC and Pulsar C are much better long range carbines with decent for their role ROF, great accuracy stats and easier to use.

There might be some Gods out there is game who are godly with AX, I am sure they are and prefer it over Razor. But I am averge player and so Razor-like guns are easier for me to use. Besides 24 mag hurts me, since I often need whole 30 mag to kills some moving target.

Of course, if AX is better for better players than me...well... guess 1 more point for NC?
  19. Illucidator

Zenith sucks!!!! Last carbine I have to aurax for carbine directive. The .75 ads means nothing when you can just hipfire strafe but then it gets out dpsed by most other carbines. There really is no point to using that carbine when you could use the fastest ttk carbine serpent or second fastest 6-7 or even the hard hitting easy handling pulsar c or even the easy handling ns 11c or default solstice. The zenith just tries to do everything and in doing that makes it second to every weapon specific to that role.

NC seem to have it all from fastest ttk carbine to hardest hitting 200 dmg carbines
    • Up x 1
  20. Prudentia

The Zenith is NOT a hipfire weapon.
    It is to the VX6-7 what the VX6-7 is to the Serpent
    a longer range short TTK weapon
    basicly if you are not using a comp and a AFG on it you are doing it wrong. well and the recoil is kinda hard to get used to, took me about 600kills to get used to it aswell, but the remaining 500 were blast, it's just so freaking accurate when ADS moving.