[Suggestion] Turn off HPET gave me 15 fps boost

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by zant91, Feb 18, 2015.

1. zant91

Hi, I´ve read on The Internet that if you turn HPET ON in your bios and in your os will give you better performance in games. I´ve been playing 1 and a half month with these settings and I just discovered not for me.

I have an AMD rig (read my signature), and today I could confirm that playing with HPET OFF in bios and os gives me a +15 fps boost, Ultra settings, shadows low.

Apart for the fps boost in planetside 2, although the cpu load is the same, the cpu temperature rose over 5ºC.

So summing up:

If you have a similar rig (I don't know with Intel cpu's), try these changes, maybe if you didn't know you'll be amazed like me.
  2. FateJH

Wikipedia, on the High Precision Event Timer.

Edit: I found an addition command prompt line to run regarding disabling HPET.
    bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
    And, to turn it back on:
    bcdedit /set useplatformclock true
  3. TheBurningLegion

Can a couple more people confirm this? I don't need the FPS boost whilst playing, but I might want to start making videos again and maybe I could record whilst still playing on Ultra Graphics?
  4. CapEnTrade

*raises a finger*
    Uh, excuse me, good sir!?
    I happen to the the proud owner of a red FX 8370 and am curious to know a little more about this option and where to disable it in the bios. I'll have not issues getting into the bios, I just need some more information on where it can be found and what exactly it's called in the bios.

Thanks you!
  5. CapEnTrade

hmm, looking through google, for those wondering if it's on for you...

"Go to device manager, and then system devices. If you see High Precision Event Timer, then it's turned on in the BIOS."

As for disabling it, it is safe. I've read thus far it's supposed to improve CPU performance in games. Well test as soon as I learn exactly what to turn off in bios and where.
  6. FateJH

Your BIOS is dependent on the motherboard, not the processor chip. You need to identify what kind of BIOS you have or at least the motherboard if we should help navigate it for you.
    Actually, your motherboard user guide should have information on the BIOS.
  7. CapEnTrade

Oh I knew that. I way just saying that because my fx8370 is practically just a lower binned fx9590
    It's an Asus board and I found it under advanced>south bridge. I checked and it is in fact off.
  8. CapEnTrade

Hmm, my theory is that this is more helpful to those with more cores.
  9. zant91

It should work also for you dude, you have a 8 core processor like me, but with a smaller frequency.

Being able to maintain 50+ fps playing on Ultra with shadows in 96+ players battle is a big improvement for me.
    • Up x 1
  10. zant91

For example, these are some benchmarks I did before I turned off HPET:

(Indar, Quartz Ridge Camp, 48+ battle, Ultra Settings, Shadows Low)
    2015-01-11 13:15:07 - PlanetSide2_x64
    Frames: 14954 - Time: 300000ms - Avg: 49.847 - Min: 24 - Max: 60

(Indar, Allatum Biolab, + 48 battle, Ultra Settings, Shadows Low)
    2015-01-11 13:26:04 - PlanetSide2_x64
    Frames: 13327 - Time: 300000ms - Avg: 44.423 - Min: 26 - Max: 60

(Hossin, Naum Amp Station, + 96 battle, Ultra Settings, Shadows Low)
    2015-01-11 13:35:54 - PlanetSide2_x64
    Frames: 13684 - Time: 300000ms - Avg: 45.613 - Min: 20 - Max: 60

2015-01-11 13:41:25 - PlanetSide2_x64
    Frames: 11960 - Time: 300000ms - Avg: 39.867 - Min: 17 - Max: 59

2015-01-11 13:47:59 - PlanetSide2_x64
    Frames: 13732 - Time: 300000ms - Avg: 45.773 - Min: 18 - Max: 60

And now, I haven't seen my min fps go down 30, and my avg fps is much higher, 50 ( in the middle of the battle even).
  11. Captain Kid

Mines is on and I see a disable function. You think I can disable AND enable it through device manager?
  12. NinjaKirby

I was eager to test this, but I have a ASUS P7P55D Evo Mobo which doesn't have the toggle built in (I've looked and googled to confirm).

If you're in my boat and there's not an option, it appears the correct method to disabling is tampering with the DSDT (Differentiated System Description Table: The main table in the ACPI part of a computer's BIOS). So you have to download one from a selection of free DSDT Extraction tools, and manipulate your existing DSDT and then implement the "code correction". It does seem to be a step-shy of flashing the BIOS, because apparently it involves instructing the Bootloader to look at your corrected version of the DSDT. Trouble is, all my google searches only come up with Hackintosh setup instructions because apparently OSX doesn't have a fully implemented ACPI, thus it's a common issue when trying to run it on traditional hardware.

So basically, no idea how to instruct the Bootloader to access the a corrected DSDT build in Windows; I can't even attempt a test.

Due to all the above, I'm sceptical that disabling HPET in Device Manager would work properly (Since it's hard-configured a bazillion layers below the Windows front-end). Don't fancy testing it myself, despite doubting a cataclysmic system error would be the end result.
  13. CapEnTrade

maybe, but I'd not touch that and look in the bios. bios settings always trump windows settings. You'd also likely avoid any issue by doing it this way.