[Suggestion] Ability to perform Aerial Takedowns/Sabotage

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DemonHand13, Feb 18, 2015.

1. DemonHand13

I haven't seen anyone suggest this anywhere so here it is. As is said in the title, i think it would be cool to be able to to perform aerial "takedowns" as the Light Assault Class, much like what has been depicted in art of PS2 and its cinematic trailer. You could imagine how difficult this may be considering the height and speed at which aircraft may be moving, but imagine how satisfying it would be!

So basically:
    - The ability as the Light Assault Class to latch onto the the aircraft's(any enemy aircraft) cockpit and shoot/attack the pilot through the windshield

- The ability to sabotage Galaxies(Galaxy only) in addition to being able to assault the cockpit directly (Deploy temporary emp? Disables the ability to squad spawn or bail without damage? Or maybe you can paint the galaxy as a target for missiles?)

- A certification for Galaxies and Liberators(excluding fighters and Valkyries) that adds reinforced windshields to prevent "takedowns" and/or backup power supply/advanced technology to eliminate effects of sabotage and/or something that kills the player off the aircraft hull (similar to the shield that the Sundy now has once it deploys).

- All Liberators and Valkyries are equipped with reinforced windshields at no extra cert cost

- Energized combat knife that enables the player to perform these feats even without gun ammo. So instead of latching on and shooting out their systems or windshield, they cut and tear through these things (Aircraft "anti hijack" certs still apply).

So there it is. Oh yeah, and you can't use the C4 on the aircraft whilst performing this action (you'll just have to do that the old fashioned way). Plus, you'll have to bail manually after the action, so of course there's the possibility you can die with the pilot or if you mistime the mount, simply get splattered on the windsheild. Bail and aircraft assault/takedown can be performed by pressing "E" once you are in the correct position. Remember this is exclusive to the assault class! The only reason I post this here and not the LA Class thread is because I also talk a lot about vehicles.
  2. Ownasaurusrex

I support this idea.

If only gamebreak company will pay for it..
  3. AlterEgo

So...
    This?
    [IMG]
  4. DemonHand13

Yep!
  5. DemonHand13

6. BobSanders123

100 certs Galaxy certification: Windshield wipers
    • Up x 7
  7. AlterEgo

I'm in!

To wipe off those pesky and invisible Auraxian sky beetles. Watch out, they bite!
  8. Tommyp2006

First, there has to be actual pilots in vehicles.
    • Up x 2
  9. ColonelChingles

So...

A SMG or pistol can penetrate the windshield of an aircraft and kill the pilot.

But a 40mm flak explosion or a 150mm armor-piercing tank shell cannot?

:confused:
  10. FateJH

Well, flak explodes before it hits the craft and armor-piercing doesn't mean it can also penetrate glass.

I know, I'm reaching.
  11. _itg

I think in real life (at least around like WWII. Do they even use flak in the 21st century?), if flak explodes near an airplane,it's pretty random how much shrapnel actually hits the aircraft, and out of the shrapnel that does hit, it's still more likely to hit a non-vital part of the aircraft and do little more than make an unattractive hole. I've seen pictures of old aircraft that were pretty shredded up and made it home alive. Anyway, the point is, the HP mechanic is supposed to kind of average all this out, because neither side wants the damage done to depend on a roll of the dice. But if you're shooting the pilot with a carbine through a windshield, there's no doubt you're hitting a vital area, so why shouldn't the bullets just go through the glass and do full damage?
  12. BobSanders123

Oh, true. They will need to add a character model in the cockpits and a hitbox. Otherwise simply shooting the glass would result in a guarenteed kill.
  13. Colakold

I think a the problem can be that you need to create different damage zones for the aircraft. The windshield gets this damage-model and the rest gets a different-model.

Maybe i´m wrong but in real-life an apache-cockpit has no problem with small arms fire. So it would be some kind of unrealistic to have it ingame.
  14. DemonHand13

Well, indirect damage to armor is different than someone specifically targeting and shooting out your windshield with AP bullets. There's obviously various degrees of effectiveness when it comes to that and of course a successful takedown won't be INSTANT. I did say that there should be an option to use certs for reinforced armored glass.

Yes they would have to create a damage zone for the aircraft (Yes, "A" damage zone. Keep it simple. No need to attack any part other than the cockpit. Otherwise you might as well just use an AA gun), but i don't thing they need to go as far as putting in a pilot model. I think just some decals of damage to the window in states of increased degradation would work. As far as realism, c'mon. This is Planetside 2. There's obviously some wiggle room here, and plus this is the future! I'm not too familiar with the lore of this game but I think each of these faction's "space bullets" should be able to shoot through your military standard armored glass and that in my opinion, should dictate the "realism" element to this.
  15. TerminalT6

Honestly, I don't see this adding much to the game. Sure it's cool, but what are the chances of this happening? How often are you in position to grab an aircraft that isn't going fast enough to rip your arm off? I can't see this happening without Gal/Valk dropping LA's over slow/stopped aircraft, in hopes one of them can grab on.
  16. DemonHand13

On the flip side, players wont be able to abuse it and so you might as well add this cool little feature. That also basically the point. It is a nice touch. It's not supposed to be easy, but to me it just feels like something I should be able to do. It's all about the experience, its supposed to be fun, and its supposed to look cool(This game is a competitive MP game, so obviously good balance contributes to the fun factor too). Like getting a mid air disc kill in the game Tribes after you see it on the front cover of the game, or discovering that if you time it right, you can press the melee button on BF3 and reverse a knife takedown from the front and instead kill the other guy or like in BF3 when you bail out a plane and blow up another with your rocket launcher while falling. And really, I think you should get rewarded huge for some crazy s*** like this. Of course you'll have to be practical about attempting to pull the maneuver off, like wait until the aircraft is close to a reachable distance, or when its flying low over a battlefield to drop soldiers or perform a strafing run. There hasn't been many times where I've maybe been within arms reach of an aircraft mid air, but I have been in positions before, where I felt like I should be able to do exactly what had been depicted in the cinematic trailer. Its a matter of risk vs. reward here more than anything......I also kinda feel like it's false advertisement if they don't lol.
  17. ColonelChingles

That would mean that flak shrapnel, able to penetrate and damage the hide of a Galaxy, would not be able to penetrate the cockpit... yet small arms (which are unable to penetrate the skin of a Galaxy) would penetrate that cockpit cover?

Not really. That flak explosion releases enough shrap at a high enough velocity to damage any other part of the Galaxy. Small arms fire is unable to do so. So it simply must be that the shrapnel from a 40mm flak explosion must have greater penetration energy than whatever an infantry small arm can shoot.

If 40mm shrap can penetrate stuff that small arms cannot, then it stands to reason that whatever small arms can penetrate 40mm shrapnel can do just as well... if not better.

That, and it would still be incredibly silly for a small rifle round to penetrate the cockpit while a 150mm round could not.

If this change goes through, then the pilot should be vulnerable to any damage in the cockpit area. Otherwise it would be a silly and ridiculous idea. Flak exploding in front of the cockpit ought to kill or injure the pilot if small arms would also do the trick.
  18. DrPapaPenguin

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  19. Meeka

There should be a pilot in aircraft... and a rocket into the cockpit, or a bullet to the pilot's head, should knock an aircraft down.

It would make ESF vs ESF engagements a lot more interesting, if you aim for the canopy instead of the body.
  20. DemonHand13

What I'm saying is that the AA flak would still be just as effective, only it would take more time and effort using your rifle. Personally, I always thought there should be damage zones for a Galaxy's cockpit anyway. Even if takedowns aren't added, I think they should still let small arms damage a galaxy a little bit if its canopy is being hit by small arms fire. I always thought it was weird I cloud blow a fighter out of the sky by shooting its body armor and not so much as scratch a galaxy's windshield.