Hitching... Why?!!

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Teapole, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Teapole

I've asked around, talked to many people. Mainly I get trolled because who doesn't have problems with Planetside 2, but I need a solution.

I get steady 50-80 FPS, then randomly (I can't find a connection as to why this happens) my frames drop down to 10ish for about 8-10 seconds.

It never happens when I'm idle at the warp-game, but it can happen at any time. I'm trying to shoot someone. I'm running down a hill, I'm about to do a cool yet dangerous trick with my scythe, BAM! 10 fps and you're dead.

I have a 4gb 770, FX8350 (stock speeds), 16gb RAM (game is installed on solid state, seperate from operating system) I have 50mb down and 5mb up speeds, so internet shouldn't be a problem, and I wouldn't think it would cause frame hitching.

I do use shadowplay, it happens even if I'm not recording. I have considered it could somehow be the problem as it lies in the processes while I play.
    I also have Razer Synapse, which is known for causing problems with PS2, but I don't think there's any issues there.

It's not a memory leak problem, because it can happen 5-10 mins into my session, then I'm fine for an hour, then again every 5-10 mins. Very random.

Solutions and workarounds I've tried:

1. Killing the PhysX thread (resulted in my game not loading, have to restart computer)

2. Untick smoothing and turn off shadows (resulted in more FPS and stability, random hitching still present)
  2. Freeloaderusa

3. azazealmkh

Do you have the nvidia shadowplay fps counter on ? reason i ask is i had no problems until i updated my graphics driver about 3 driver updates ago and suddenly i had hitches and freezing and sometimes it would freeze about 5 seconds.I tried everything until i did another driver update and the game was running smooth so went and turned on the fps counter in shadow play and then suddenly hitching and freezing again.Turned it off and no more hitching and freezing so very strange.Might not be your problem but worth a try.Good Luck
    • Up x 1
  4. Teapole

I assume the difference between 32 and 64 bit is that the latter utilizes more memory, I don't really want to have to switch to 32 bit to make the game more playable =(
  5. Teapole

I will try and turn it off, are you specifically referring to the FPS counter, or the entire shadow-play background monitoring?
  6. azazealmkh

Just the fps counter and don't know why it makes my pc hitch and freeze it worked for me fine before i did a fresh windows install.The only difference is i installed the steam version this time while before i used the standalone version from the website so could be a steam issue.Also i use the fps counter on all my other games with no problems it just effects planetside 2.
    • Up x 1
  7. DK22

meh, been that way for months, I just play now. whatever,
    sometimes people complain, but most of us have to put with the same thing, so the heck with it.
    They say they are fixing it, so we'll see.....
  8. Teapole

Played without shadow-play on for 25 mins, then I got a 5.6 second drop to 10 FPS from 80, might be better, feels better, but problem is still there...
  9. azazealmkh

Very strange i can't think of anything else to try since that fixed my problem.Are you using the steam version cos when i used the non steam version it never hitched but would crash,steam version hitches but doesn't crash so god knows with this game lol Hope u find a solution bud :)
  10. Teapole

Thanks for your input, I was riding in a Magrider with a friend and would say "here's the spike again.." every time he would say he's getting it too, and was convinced it was server problems. Maybe it's nothing to worry about, it's not terrible it's just not optimal either.
  11. Teapole

I am using steam, switched to it a month ago. It could be the problem, with it being integrated into the background and all.
  12. user101

turn off shader cache in the video driver file. Don't ask just do it
  13. Teapole

I'm going to ask anyways.
  14. RainbowDash9

try turning textures down a lil. even though both mine and your graphics card can easily handle it it fixed a lot of stutter issues for me. i doubt itll completely fix the issue but it should help. also try changing maximum pre rendered frames to 3 in the nvidia control panel.
  15. user101

The shader cache causes writes to the hard drive or SSD and in High and Ultra the nvidia pallet (256mb) is not big enough to hold all the colors that PS2 puts out... thus always causing the shader cache to run out of memory and write to the hard drive / aka hitching all writes cause hitching in the game, flying is the worst...and any turns causes hitching.

That's why you got to turn it off. Drops your FPS ~3 but more than makes up for no hitching. This only applies to Nvidia GTX cards.

Shader cache will kill a SSD with all the writes.... on the main window C: drive

Slow - Real hard drivers are the worst... were not talking about server lock that stops for 10 sec... but this instant jerks - micro jerks... is the writes to the hard drive.

I wounder how many SSD's PS2 has killed like this.
  16. user101

I should also note that the shader cacher is stored on the main C: drive and has a fixed limit of ( 256 mb ) this is not video card memory this is hard drive memory that is sucked in by the video card shader. And Nvidia knows about the problem and has for over a year and has not fixed it yet. Guess it is low on there priority.???
  17. Teapole

Can you explain exactly how to delete this and how it might effect other games? I don't want to try this if it's going to damage or hinder my graphics card.
  18. user101

First I only use the NV video driver / PhysX / Audio part of the install of any GTX update.

I do not install the whole (all the programs) NV idea of how the driver should work and my idea of how it should work don't agree when it comes to PS2.

NV game enhancing software causes more problems in PS2 than it's worth - if not making PS2 unplayable.

I turn off all buffering in the main global setting in the driver side of the video driver. set all frames to 1. clamp it.
    turn off shader cache . set everything to performance.

Nvidia Panel - right mouse button on desktop. You can't remove shader cache but you can stop it from running.

Once your stop shader cache and set frames to 1 you will be surprised how smooth PS2 runs.

Now if we could just get the Dev's to put PhysX back in the game.
  19. Teapole

I've done what you said, and I agree about PhysX. I will come back and report on my findings to see if the hitching has stopped or at least been reduced. Thanks for your input so far, I appreciate it.
  20. Teapole

I've used the settings you suggested, there is def. a difference, but the hitching still occurs. When the hitching occurs, it feels less intense, but still makes for an unplayable 10 seconds.

Can anyone recommend a logging diagnostic tool that can track and log usage data for the CPU, GPU, Network, etc. while I play so I could essentially try to pinpoint where the hitching is coming from?

Thanks in advance!