Low FPS on i5 4460

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Archenuh, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Archenuh

Hello there! I have recently upgraded to an i5 from my old god damn Phenom II x4 hoping to be able to play PS2 on decent FPS, but its still almost unplayable. It's an fps, and playing with less than constant 30fps is just ********. Any of you guys with i5s having the same issues?

Here's some info to help you out indentify the cause:

1. I am always CPU bound.
    2. I get a maximum of 60fps(no idea why it never goes past 60 even with VSync disabled) when at warpgates. However, I get RANDOM drops to 20fps when nobody is around me and I'm just jumping/looking around).
    3. I get around 40-50fps in fights with 30+ players around me that are constantly firing, but I experience random drops to 15-20fps out of nowhere.
    4. My cores were unparked on my Phenom, and I checked again on my i5 and they are still unparked.
    5. I have tried setting Planetside2_x64.exe to High priority. Didn't do much for me.
    6. My game is installed on an SSD(same with where my Windows is put).
    7. I fail to see how everyone plays on ultra with constant 30+ fps with i5s, while I can't even get CONSTANT(it is super important that it doesn't freaking twitch all the time, going to 10fps randomly) 30fps with shadows off/low on this rig.

Here's my rig and my useroptions.ini:

2. RainbowDash9

what ghz is your cpu? i have an i-5 4440 @3.1GHz and a GTX 750 and i never go below 30 :eek:
  3. Archenuh

The i5 itself is clocked @ 3.2ghz. Can you please share your useroptions.ini? Maybe it'll help me achieve the same results.
  4. RainbowDash9

[Display]
    Mode=Fullscreen
    FullscreenMode=Fullscreen
    FullscreenRefresh=0
    FullscreenWidth=1920
    FullscreenHeight=1080
    WindowedWidth=1008
    WindowedHeight=729
    Maximized=0
    RenderQuality=1.000000

[Rendering]
    OverallQuality=4
    GraphicsQuality=3
    TextureQuality=0
    ShadowQuality=4
    LightingQuality=2
    EffectsQuality=3
    TerrainQuality=3
    FloraQuality=3
    ModelQuality=3
    RenderDistance=6000.000000
    Gamma=0.200000
    VerticalFOV=74
    ParticleLOD=3
    ParticleDistanceScale=0.500000
    FogShadowsEnable=1
    VSync=1
    AO=1
    MaximumFPS=99999
    UseLod0a=0
    BloomEnabled=1
    MotionBlur=1
    UseAspectFOV=0
    Smoothing=0

[Controls]
    CameraAutoAdjustment=1
    ClickToMove=0
    ClickToMoveRightButton=0
    RailCamera=1

[Sound]
    Master=1.000000
    Music=0.000000
    Game=1.000000
    Dialog=1.000000
    UI=1.000000
    UseFloat32Output=0
    ExclusiveMode=0
    HitIndicator=1
    LowAmmoIndicator=1
    VehicleChatter=1
    IdleMusic=1
    UseHighQualityReverb=0
    MaxVoices=192
    OutputDeviceName=Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

[ImageCapture]
    OutputFolder=./Screenshots
    OutputFilePrefix=screenshot.png

[VideoCapture]
    OutputFile=VideoCaptureOutput.avi
    Resolution=2
    Quality=100
    WorkingDir=Videos

[VideoStreamer]
    Resolution=1
    Fps=30
    Kbps=0
    MicRecordVolume=0.000000
    SpeakerRecordVolume=1.000000
    Username=

[Terrain]
    RenderFlora=On

[AutoRefuse]
    FriendInvitation=0
    DuelInvitation=0
    GuildInvitation=0
    HideUi=1
    TradeRequest=0
    HousingInvitation=0
    GroupInvitation=0

[Group]
    AutoGroupOnLogin=0
    AutoGroupAsLeader=0
    AutoGroupWithFriends=0
    AutoGroupWithGuild=0

[Voice]
    Enable=1
    ReceiveVolume=60.000000
    MicrophoneVolume=39.000000
    Ducking=0.800000

[UI]
    HudTiltAngle=0
    CentralizedHudMode=1
    HudTiltAnglePercent=0
    DrawMission=0
    DrawKillSpam=1
    HideWarpZoneConfirmation=1
    SelectedChatChannel=General
    MapShowFactionColoredHotspots=1
    TintModePlayer=4460130,23423,10357519
    TintModeFacility=4460130,23423,10357519
    TintModeReticuleStyle=0
    TintModeReticuleColor=0
    PlatoonSquadColor0=3781962
    PlatoonSquadColor1=10707465
    PlatoonSquadColor2=9578383
    PlatoonSquadColor3=65793
    MapCurrentZone=8
    MapCenterOnPlayer=0
    MapActiveToggleView=-1
    MapFilterHeatMapMode=0
    MapFilterShowInfluenceCloud=1
    MapZoomLevel=5
    MapPositionX=12.95849301171875
    MapPositionY=-26.35097411108399
    ShowDirectivesTutorial=0
    TrackedDirectives=187^1542^1254^1720^
    DrawLootDrop=1
    ShowGroupNotifications=1
    ShowOutfitNotifications=1
    LeaderboardSortColumn=score
    LeaderboardTimePeriodFilter=0
    LeaderboardSourceFilter=0

[General]
    AutoDetectPerformanceSettings=0
    MouseSensitivity=0.228000
    ScopedMouseSensitivity=0.309000
    ADSMouseSensitivity=0.367000
    VehicleMouseSensitivity=0.386000
    FlightMouseSensitivity=0.646000
    JoystickSensitivity=1.346000
    JoystickDeadzone=0.300000
    InvertVerticalLook=0
    InvertVerticalFly=1
    InvertTankSteering=1
    MouseRawInput=1
    MouseSmoothing=0
    ToggleCrouch=0
    ZoomToggle=0
    SprintToggle=0
    SprintLegacyToggleMode=0
    DrawHud=1
    ReduceInputLag=1
    FixedMinimap=1
    Profanity=0
    GamepadSmoothing=1
    GamepadSensitivity=0.500000
    GamepadInvertLook=0
    GamepadInvertFlight=0
    GamepadEasyFlight=0

[MinimapOptions]
    PathEnabled=0

[Emote]
    Favorites=

[Guild]
    NotifyOnGuildPetitionRecieved=1

[Video]
    VideoCapturePrefix=PS2Video

[VoiceChat]
    EchoEnabled=1
    EchoVolume=0.500000
    ProximityEnabled=1
    ProximityVolume=0.490000
    FactionEnabled=1
    FactionVolume=0.500000
    GroupEnabled=1
    GroupVolume=0.500000
    GroupLeaderEnabled=1
    GroupLeaderVolume=0.140000
    RaidEnabled=1
    RaidVolume=0.500000
    GuildEnabled=1
    GuildVolume=0.500000
    CustomEnabled=1
    CustomVolume=0.500000
    InputDevice=Microphone (Turtle Beach PX21 H
    OutputDevice=Speakers (Turtle Beach PX21 Headset)

its basically just on ultra. try reinstalling the game (as annoying as it is)
  5. Archenuh

I just reinstalled the game. I have no ******* clue on how you can be able to play with 30fps+. Mine stays at 45fps while at warpgate and hitches/starts dropping to 10 fps in big fights. It is absolutely unplayable.
  6. MaxMuld

I think it might be a combination of settings and connection. Im running 90+ fps in small fights and 60+ in big fights (most of the time). I have lag-spikes from time to time, yes, but thats my connection ****ing up, not my pc. And when I have a "bad connection" im still having pings around or below 50ms.. It have happend that the ping have been higher, but its rare.. Have most game-settings on high and dist. rend. on 4k...
  7. JobiWan

Could it be your graphics card? Unless I missed it, you don't say what you have.

I run an i5 3.4ghz 4460, 8gig fast ram and a GT660 and I rarely drop below 60fps.

Edit: sorry just saw your graphic card in the setup description.
  8. Archenuh

I can tell between connection and hitching issues. I mean, c'mon, why would a connection problem drop me to 20fps randomly? It would just cause players around me to stop moving and stuff like that. Never experienced such things and here's my speedtest:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4126788826.png

@JobiWan - What are your game settings? I am so god damn jealous that everyone is running insane settings with almost the same god damn setup as I have..
  9. JobiWan

I have most things on high, a few on medium and shadows on low, but I've had most things on high with decent performance too.

10. Archenuh

Do you guys happen to have your CPUs in power saving mode while not playing? Mine stays at around 0.8ghz when not doing anything on it. Maybe I should disable the Power Saving Technology thingy in Bios?
  11. RainbowDash9

is your power supply good enough for the card to work under max load? i know the 600 series are power hogs. also just change your computer to high performance, and check temperatures just incase some random *** overheating issue is wreaking havoc :eek:
  12. BlackDove

That wont fix it and thats not a good idea.

First, physically clean and inspect your fans and heatsinks.

Second run the tools i link to here. Specifically run Malwarebytes Anti Rootkit first, then run Adwcleaner.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...-malware-removal-and-mitigation-guide.193468/

Third run this. It will give you a pass or fail and verify that your CPU is within its limits and functioning correctly.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=19792

You dont have your monitor plugged into the motherboards video out by chance do you? If you do that would be why youre getting such terrible performance.

Also the 750 isnt very powerful so you cant expect to run this game on very high settings.
  13. user101

Your missing some stuff in your useroptions.ini file. I would suggest you delete it and start over. You don't have number of sound channels ... ??? There my be other stuff your missing also. Just hacking up the *.ini files don't gain you anything and may hurt the performance. If you have some old beta copy of PS2 you started with you need to re-down load the whole game.

There are a couple old versions of launchpad that don't work correct.... !

And if you are running some stock intel heat sink don't expect full power (up time out of the cores ) your CPU....!
    intel.. heat sinks are designed for normal PC use not a gaming PC @ 100% use. (think big heat sinks) for gaming.
  14. user101

How to increase performance..!

Sound Channels = 30 max makes a big difference in CPU time used. (ini file)

DoS in router = off makes a big difference in frame drop when getting shot. (by thousands of bullets)

GTX- Video cards - Shader cache = off makes a big difference in write times to the hard drive. this can cause jerking in game use even with SSD. ( always off for PS2 ) standard setting don't work for PS2 that Nvidia uses....! Turn off almost everything.

Never Never use a sound blaster / turtle beach PCI card in your PC.... just eats up CPU time buy the gobs.
  15. Archenuh

@BlaclDove - I'll try running the things in there. Obviously my monitor is plugged into my dedicated GPU. Also, my GPU is 650Ti Boost, not a silly 750. I have also specified that I'm always CPU bound. All my temps are doing more than decent, there is no way the CPU/GPU enters throttling stage to cause me performance issues.

@user101 - I'll try using those things you have told me. I did a fresh reinstall of the game so I clearly do not have an old copy. No idea why my
    Ini doesn't have everything in it, though. No idea how to assign a different amount in sound channels either.
  16. Freeloaderusa

Try the 32bit client of the game too runs 10 times better for me > i5 processor radeon hd 7800
  17. RainbowDash9

except 32 bit version crashes a **** ton. at least for me anyway
    • Up x 1
  18. Freeloaderusa

It freeze crashes for me every session too but this aint gonna stop me from running it, 64 bit is FUBAR they shouldnt have released it so early. Ive probably uploaded 100000 crash reports by now and still no fix for 32bit version o_O. we're getting old here higby!! When we gonna get stable game :p.
  19. BlackDove

Oh sorry i read someone elses post. Id reset your useroptions.ini completely and only change the maxfps in it to 120 so it doesnt conflict with vsync. You should also change your Nvidia driver settings to the ones in the guide ill link. Make sure adaptive vsync is on in the driver and vsync is off in game.

Most importantly make sure smoothing is OFF. That causes tons of problems.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...ttings-for-ps2-as-well-as-other-games.171010/

With a 650ti BOOST you should have ambient occlusion on and be able to run it on ultra or at least high and a mix of ultra too. Thats a decent GPU.

I didnt mean to offend with the question about which it was plugged into. Ive encountered that problem when troubleshooting for people.

Im guessing its smoothing or malware in the background. Im at a constant 60fps(adaptive vsync) until i get into areas with people in it, amd in massive fights i drop into the 30s CPU limited with my i5-2320, which is less powerful than your 4460. I have everything on ultra, including shadows and flora.
  20. Skiptrace

the 650ti BOOST is worse than the 660, so tis not be a decent GPU.

Anyways, I have a 560 (non-Ti) and the i5-4460 and run roughly Medium settings with no problems. 8gb of RAM (2 different speeds though, one is 800 MHz the other is 667 MHz [From my old PC, it's an off brand one, need to get a 2nd Kingston HyperX stick at 800 MHz...]) also. I plan to upgrade to a GTX 960 for a big performance boost, then get a 2nd Kingston HyperX RAM stick for same speed RAM. But you should have faster framerates with less spikes than I do, which is odd that my system is more stable with a crappier GPU.