[Suggestion] Give Battle Rifles a 2 round burst mode

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MahouFairy, Feb 9, 2015.

1. MahouFairy

Right now battle rifles are severely inferior to other weapons. The range and firing speed is awkward meaning in long range duels you might not even get to hit or kill anything and in CQC you'll obviously get gunned down. Most people wouldn't even swap their trusty carbine or LMG for that. Even I have a better chance of killing an enemy at long range with a burst of my CARV with 1x scope than my AMR-66 with 4x scope.

So why not give us an option of a 2 round burst with lesser recoil in between these 2 shots? Sort of like a AN-94 IRL where 2 bullets are squeezed out of the barrel before the recoil even kicks in, so both bullets land within close proximity of each other.

Hopefully, this option will give the BRs a better chance to compete against the automatic weapons or even SRs.
    (PS if this comes to pass, I hope it'll be an option that is added on the CURRENT BRs - don't introduce another variant that can only shoot in bursts, like all the B variants or can shoot in both modes, but comes with a stat decrease like the S variants)

Thoughts?
  2. Lord_Avatar

That would severely encroach on SABR-13 territory. Also - BRs are surpisingly viable in CQC with a Laser Sight attached. Giving them burst fire capabilities could easily make them OP in that environment.
    • Up x 1
  3. Captain Kid

Don't know, I have a lot of kills with my battlerifle. On the other hand I lose battles against carbine users at 50 plus meters easily. (probably due to flinch)
    I don't know what to make of the battlerifle to be honest. Maybe all those kills are from enemies already damaged.
  4. Iridar51

Burst fire is not enough, give us full auto.

There already is a weapon that fires two round in an accurate burst, SABR-13. If you want your AN-94 nerve tickled, use that.

Myself I don't like SABR. I have to admit it's the best burst weapon in the game, yet it would have been infinitely better if it had full auto instead of burst. Burst weapons in PS2 are held back by their burst mechanic, and I would hate to see Battle Rifles fall victim to it as well.
    • Up x 3
  5. MahouFairy

Since when was BR ever viable in CQC? Apart from spamming point blank at the back of some afk or unaware dude, any automatic rifle weapon outperforms it. Plus, there is the Jackhammer.

Well, how about after shooting off that 2 shots in burst mode, you have to wait for a longer period of time before being able to fire another burst? Meaning if you miss once in CQC, you are as good as dead.
  6. MahouFairy

Exactly! I thought I would win in those types of encounters but no, even a carbine with 2x scope can outperform it.
  7. MahouFairy

Like I've said, it's an option. So if you feel that the situation demands for a burst mode, you use it. If you're more comfortable with the single shots, you don't have to switch.
  8. Iridar51

I'd be more comfortable with full auto.
    • Up x 1
  9. Lord_Avatar

Contrary to popular belief - since forever, basically. Granted - not your "go to" option, but they can perform surprisingly well.
  10. M4L4CH1TE

Well, I can't speak for anyone but me. But I use my BR all the time and love it.
    Running Engy with a X4 scope I've racked up more headshots than as a sniper. With a compensator on the barrel the drift is small enough to put 2-3 rounds on a head at 200+m. And with the laser sight on I've not had many problems with close combat when I get surprised around a corner (admittedly it is not my choice for close fights). I sometimes run the BR with HA when I'm mostly attacking armor.
    Running with a X2 sight 6-7 shots from the hip will kill even HA if they don't get the chance to pop their shield.
    Personally, I think the BR is about right: Good at range if you are not a sniper, and a good compromise if you don't know what you are headed into.
    Again. Only me. But I don't need it changed.
  11. Captain Kid

Don't know about that..Yesterday I lost versus a NS SMG at 50 plus meters, he even had a 1x scope, with my new Cougar (long range carbine!)
    Flinch can really mess with your aim, my bullets went everywhere except on the target. (moronic mechanic in my opinion)
  12. CapEnTrade

I donno...
    Battle rifles have some insane rewards for those who can aim...
    • Up x 1
  13. CapEnTrade

Hey, I got a question.
    The battle rifles, once you aurax it, do you get the aurax version immediately thereafter because there currently are no other battle rifles? Also, it's the same thing with grip, compensator, and a special improved version of HVA, right?
  14. TerminalT6

Because SOE, they lumped the battle rifle directive in with the scout rifle directive. So you'd also have to 'rax three scout rifles to get your directive battle rifle.
    • Up x 1
  15. CapEnTrade

That's fine by me, I auraxed the scout rifles forever ago.
    Also, if that's the case, WHY CAN'T THE INFILTRATOR USE IT!
    >:c
    Silly SOE/DGC.
  16. EnsignPistol

The only thing battle rifles really need to be competitive is to get rid of the vertical recoil angle. The regular vertical and horizontal recoil values are rather modest given the rate of fire and no first shot multiplier, but the 25 degree vertical recoil angle is worst in class amongst long range weaponry by a fair margin. Most of your other options built around combat at range either have no such angle (Reaper, Gauss SAW, AC-X11, SABR-13, TMG-50, Corvus, Ursa) or have such a small angle as to be a non-issue, especially when they have access to an advanced forward grip (A-Tross). In comparison you don't start hitting recoil angles of +/- 20 degrees or greater until you get into CQC carbines and assault rifles (GD-7F, Cycler TRV, GR-22, Serpent, H-V45). The contrast makes it clear: Long range weapons need smaller or nonexistent recoil angles.

If I really wanted to go further, I'd consider tightening up the stationary ADS cone of fire from 0.1 to 0.03 (so that it's not losing out in single shot accuracy to your typical NC carbine), reduce the hipfire cones of fire by 0.25 apiece and reduce the bloom per shot values from 0.2/0.1 to 0.16/0.08. That's about it.
    • Up x 1
  17. Captain Kid

Well that sucks since I don't play infiltrator. (Still don't get why Engineers or even heavies can use battlerifle but not scoutrifles.)
  18. OldMaster80

Nay. Of course you can kill someone, sometimes, but battle rifles simply cannot compete with full automatic weapons. Every full auto completely outguns battle rifles in close quarter, no discussion. Statistics show it clearly: they have the lowest KPU among the primary weapons.

As far as I see it the problem is those rifles have low damage considered their high recoil pattern. A semi-auto weapon shouldn't behave like that. Even without high velocity ammo and with compensator (= minimized vertical recoil) still it takes a lot of trigger discipline to land shots effectively. It's absolutely important that the first shot is a headshot, so you can kill the target with another bullet. Headshotting when firing from the hip is way too difficult, in particular when you are under automatic fire.
    The only niche BRs cover well is long range engagements because their damage falls off very slowly over distance.

In my opinion developers should either boost damage or adjust recoil so that weapon becomes more controllable. A burst fire mode would instead make BRs a little too effective: if one could land all the bullets it would probably oneshot.

Because if you played Infiltrator you would know that a scout rifle is just the little stupid brother of a carbine. If you can have a Jaguar, a Trac-5 Burst or a TMC-5, then you do not need a scout rifle at all. Scout rifle are in general very poor weapons that can perform well only because Infiltrators can become invisible. In the hand of another class they would probably be crap ;)
  19. Erendil

Agreed. Full auto is a MUCH better option than burst. A burst mode via toggle won't be available to you when you need it the most: when you're firing single shots at long range targets and some SMG infil or LA gets the drop on you at close range. You won't have enough time to switch to burst mode before you're dead.

And making it burst fire only would be even worse since it would fundamentally change how the weapon behaves, turning it into a completely different weapon.

However, if it was full auto, then you could still use it like you can currently by just tap-firing, but you'd have full auto at the ready by just holding down the fire button. :cool:

But I don't think that'd be enough to make them truly competitive options.

Currently, battle rifles overall have the slowest TTK, lowest DPS, lowest KDR, lowest KPU, lowest Q4 KPU, and lowest KPH of any primary weapon in the game (except the 3 starter carbines, whose KDR/KPH are barely lower due to new player bias skewing the numbers).

I can already hit their Max ROF pretty easily, but I still get out-DPS'd by enemies using long range automatics, where I know I'm hitting every shot, but even though they're just spraying in my general area I go down first, because bullet hose > semi-auto in PS2.

And 2 of the biggest reasons IMO are Nanoweave and the HA Overshield. Outside of 8m, Nano5 increases the STK by a whopping 50% (from 4 to 6) which devastates its already terrible TTK. And the NMG/Adren Shield increases it to 7. Nano + NMG/Adren, or Resist, brings it to 8 - a 100% increase.

So, my solution to fix the Battle Rifle is simple. EnsignPistol already mentioned 2 of my 3 suggested changes. I've posted this before and will do so in every relevant thread I can find. :p
    • Tighten its ADS CoF from .1 to either .03 or 0 - BRs rely on headshots just as much as sniper rifles, and this will reduce/remove one RNG from what is supposed to be a precision weapon.
    • Remove the recoil bias that makes it pull to the right - Since it's semi-auto, recoil that pulls to the right is harder to compensate for while firing at anywhere near its max ROF and still retain the accuracy that's required for this weapon to succeed. This will make it more user-friendly for new players.
    • Increase its Max/Min damage from 250/225 to 313/240. That'd reduce its STK by 1-2 vs HA overshields and by 1 against Nanoweave 5 out to ~75m,and push out its 2-headshot kill range out to ~60m. At the same time, Semi-auto Scout rifles will still get to keep their STK and 2-headshot-kill-at-all-ranges advantages over BRs.
    • Up x 2
  20. LibertyRevolution

This right here is a legit question.

Really, can someone explain this to me?
    Would infiltrators suddenly become OP if they had access to the battle riffles??