[Vehicle] Skyguard Tips?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MetalCotton, Feb 4, 2015.

1. MetalCotton

Just to clear the air straight away, this isn't a whining thread. Don't bring 'Skyguard is simply too UP' or 'Get in the air, scrub' in here, I don't want to hear it.

Earlier in the day, I was playing on Amerish on my own. Every now and again I'd see an air zerg of Scythes flying about, patrolling the edges of VS territory and seal clubbing anything that wasn't purple and in the air.
    I have no desire to die in less than three seconds, so whenever air gets heavy on continents like that I'll hop in a Skyguard and try to make no-fly zones. Sometimes things work out really well for me, and I'm good enough at leading targets to at least swat air away from the general area. Other times I'll just get slammed by ground forces, or a Lib will one-clip me.

So with that in mind, anyone have any tips for effective Skyguarding? Placement? Positioning? Knowing what to fire at? Is it mostly trial and error, or are there decent spots on certain continents to sit at and shoot things?
  2. OldMaster80

1 tip: do not expect to tear aircraft apart. 1 single Skyguard is not meant to clear up all the sky.
    It is just a strong deterrent again ESF and Liberators (I don't mention the Valkyrie because EVERYTHING is a deterrent against the flying poo-pot).

2 tip: extended mag for extra fire.

3) Focus fire against ground vehicles as well, it's not so bad as one could think.
    • Up x 1
  3. KirthGersen

It's actually surprisingly good against sundies (for an AA FLAK).
  4. MetalCotton

Is it really? I never actually try shooting another ground vehicle with the flak, I just do my best to get away as quickly as possible.
  5. Thardus

This may seem counter-intuitive, but find some open ground. Your best defence isn't hard cover, but instead, room to manoeuvre.
    Aircraft need to make an attack run, and the closer to them their target is, the steeper they have to dive. As a Skyguard, you can hit moving targets, while moving, much more reliably than an ESF or Liberator can, and your firing arc really has no limits. Use that to your advantage.

ESFs, easy, you can swat them like flies, you'll beat them in almost any exchange. If they go in an all out attack run against you, punish them for it, you almost can't miss. At the same time, move. Never be stationary when aircraft are firing on you. The best way to approach an ESF is to head almost straight towards them, therefore forcing them to cut their attack run short as they're forced to dive more steeply, while veering just slightly to one side, to throw off their aim further.

Libs are a little trickier, but still easy to handle if you see them coming. Don't hide, that just makes you a predictable and easy to aim at target. Be bold, be defiant. Their chin guns are scary, but at any sort of distance, they're largely ineffective, you'll easily win any exchange. At a distance, what you need to worry about are their belly guns. However, both Zephyrs and Daltons require quite a bit of lead on their target, so rhythmic and unpredictable motions should make you very hard to hit. Pretend you're playing Infantry, and there's a sniper gunning for you. Don't stay still. If a Lib tries to close in to use their chin gun, approach them much as you would an ESF. Liberators, however, are less nimble than an ESF, meaning it's even easier to get in under their arc of fire. Once they've got you in their sites, you'll be hurting. However, Liberators want to get in close to do the most damage, so if you see them getting ready to make a run at you, start heading towards them, ideally in a gentle arc to throw them off a little. By the time they've realized that you're ultimately heading towards them, they'll be having to aim lower and lower, meaning that you can easily slip under their arc of fire. Needless to say, watch out for the belly gun, try to stay off to one side, and begin curving away again, don't pass directly underneath if you can help it.

So, of course, you'll be firing this whole time. Don't underestimate how disorienting flak can be, depending on how a Liberator makes its run, try to aim for either the cockpit or the belly gun, it's not a sure thing, but filling their screen with explosions can definitely throw their aim off a little.

So, try it out, be brazen, be aggressive (but still stay behind your lines, don't put yourself under threat from ground based enemies), and most of all, don't come to the forums and complain about Liberators beating Skyguards because like everyone else here, you've decided that your Skyguard doesn't actually have any way to move. ;)
    • Up x 6
  6. KirthGersen

Not as good as Prowler AP:p But can do a significant damage and bring moderate assist score if someone helps you to finish a bus.
    Ofc you can't do anything alone if sundy is being repaired. Assists and finishing burning armor is pretty much all you can do.
  7. MetalCotton

I wouldn't be Skyguarding if I didn't grasp some of the basics by BR41, open spaces and driving towards the enemy trying to make an attack run on you while screaming war prayers at the top of your lungs is just part of the job.

Just about everything else you said is actually very informative and helpful though, so I thank you for taking the time to post. :p
    • Up x 1
  8. KirthGersen

You must also know that ideal place for a Skyguard is defending bases near enemy WG.
    Week ago I enjoyed NC rage when they were warpgated and started to pull Reavers; I found a cover to hide from Libs (1 or 2 of them crashed on trees/rocks while hunting me - yep, that's Hossin) and focused on ESFs cause it's pretty easy to one-clip them at close distance.
    It's also a good idea to use Proximity Radar on Skyguard loadout.
  9. Demigan

You haven't used the Skyguard in a long time did you? o_O
    The Skyguard hasn't had access to an extended magazine in a loooong time.

as for the OP. I think it's more effective to hit them where it hurts.

Imagine that the enemy is attacking your base, after a fight they usually pick the same escape route every time. See if you can park safely along the route and hit them when they are flying for you. If all goes well, they are either already damaged and can be destroyed, or they are stuck in "this is my escape route, so I'm sticking with it", If they keep flying and you got the entire time of approach, passing over you and flying on to hit it, you stand the best chance of killing it. If the ESF is smart and banks and picks a new escape route, hope he stays away and doesn't decide to hunt you down. A good shot from behind is all they need to get you without a chance for you to fight back enough. Not to mention that a good Hornet pilot can deal incredible damage from almost straight above.

What's also effective is to surprise them behind their lines. I know several easy ways to get around large tank columns in a stealth Lightning, then set up shop near a resupply pad they are likely to use. Keep in mind that you can only take out a few before the pilots you killed come looking for you, then relocate to either another pad or the other side of the same base to try your luck from there.
    It might sound like cheese, but it's basically the only viable flanking you can do on aircraft. with tank columns you can drive around, shoot them in the back, get a few shots into large infantry groups during standoffs or destroy things like Sunderers. Besides that, isn't hunting infantry and tanks that can hardly fight back cheese as well? I have no qualms blowing them up with some strategy. especially since any other Lightning, MBT, Harasser or random Mine/C4 fairy can take you out, not to mention the Liberators or ESF squadrons you are hunting...

For defense:
    Stick behind your lines. Try to find a spot with lots of vision of the area in front of you, but little behind you. Stick to friendly occupied buildings such as spawnrooms or obstacles that are hard to scale by LA, don't back up against them, leave some space. Should an LA try to C4 you, you have ample of time seeing and shooting it, aircraft also have less time to blow you up, especially when a Lib tries to OHK you, by backing up you can often get out from under it's Tankbuster, and force him to either pull his nose up or ram the ground.
    The moment your friendlies seem to be pushed back by ground forces you need to back up as well.
    Another option is to go mobile. Stick around your base, mostly behind your lines, and drive semicircles around it until you think you'll run into enemy ground forces, then turn around and trace your track back to the other side, repeat. A mobile AA source is hard to hit, and aircraft have trouble locating mobile forces when they fear AA. This helps you survive against Liberators and ground forces, and also prevents aircraft from finding safe routes to engage some of your buddies before you see them.
  10. McMan

wrel made a video about it.
    • Up x 1
  11. 70g50

Pretty much what thardus said. If a lib did a run on you and you survived and he is going for repairs, change position. He will be looking for you at your old position to go for revenge in 50% of the time. If you don´t see a lib but hear the tankbuster immediately drive backwards, he is probably behind you. Learn to drive with the map so you can shoot at him while driving. If you can get an mbt from behind and you got company shoot they go down pretty fast.
  12. user68

The proper way to skyguard is to get a Vanguard with AP gun.
    Advantages:
    - "nope" button against tankbusting libs
    - can protect itself against ground forces, just slap a 100-cert canister on top
    - 1-shots ESFs
    - 1-shots libs that took any kind of prior damage
    - do not alerts everyone of it's presence with distinct sound and tracers
    - do not deters air, kills it
    - you can 1-shot hovering aircrafts 2 hexes away, flying in a straight line 1 hex away, dogfighting/afterburning near you

Disadvantages:
    - you need a bump or a hill. Luckily, there are no shortages of those on Auraxis

13. OldMaster80

I meant ammo capacity of course.
    • Up x 2
  14. Prudentia

There are 2 Situations i pull a skyguard:
    Solo Infantry farming with air defense (the alternitive is solo infantry farming with ground defense: AP)
    Small squad vehicle play.
    i just don't bother with solo AA, it's not worth it as you lack the Damage to kill enemy air on your own.
    however in small squads these combinations work like a charm:
    1 MBT, 1 Ammo sundy, 2 Skyguards -> warpgate camping
    2 MBTs, 1 Skyguard -> battlefield roaming
    1 MBT, 1 Skyguard -> small scale skirmishing
    6 skyguards -> pulling them out of boredom and suddenly there are 10 TR galaxies trying to drop on the techplant nearby and everyone is laughing and getting mad xp. ty BRTD for that btw.
  15. Finnboy11

I usually try to find a heavy tank or a small Lightning group to keep me covered from enemy ground vehicles. Tank groups also tend to attract enemy aircraft and the offered protection of being in a large group also protects you against Liberators that may have issues to spot the lone Skyguard from the bunch.

It is an AA gun so always have an escape route ready. However, if you see a smoking Sunderer without protection, feel free to engage. Skyguard does a lot more damage to other vehicles up close than it may seem like. Skyguard is also awesome against Harassers or Flashes.

When taking part in a large tank fight and no air targets are available, you should sometimes attempt to shoot a few bursts at the enemy, retreating to cover to load. While not tremendously effective, the vast torrent of hit indications can be really disorienting for the target. Your large spread makes it hard to shoot at enemy infantry even at close ranges, but being slightly behind the front lines you are the best counter against C4 fairies trying to take out your heavier buddies.
  16. Copperhead

I would also suggest not to be too afraid of enemy lightnings with the exception of AP as long as you continuously try to dump rounds into the rear. I tend to win a lot of fights against enemy Viper, HE or HEAT lightnings this way.
  17. Takara

I can give you my general checklist for when i pull a skyguard.

1) try to remain around friendly armor or infantry. If I'm off by myself alone I'm going to be food for the next Harasser MBT that comes my way.

2) Equip TOP ARMOR! Lord does this help a ton. Side and front armor is generally worthless because you aren't going to win a fight against anything that is trying to kill you from those angles anyway. You don't have the AV weapon to fight back. And top armor will reduce the damage you take from those pesky Aircraft who get big balls and try to come after you, specifically libs.

3) DON'T GET STATIC! Don't forget you are a mobile platform! When a lib or ESF is trying to hit you...drive TOWARD them. It is generally harder for them to move and shoot at the same time when aiming down. Libs have horrible agility...and ESFs will become larger targets for your allies when they aim down. Not to mention some of the less focused guys tend to crash or over commit they loose lots of speed to adjust aim and give syou more time on target.

4) Don't shoot at things at extreme range unless they are engaged with a friendly ESF/Lib and you are attempting to assist...or engaging a friendly tank. Once and ESF gets a wiff of a skyguard they usually clear right out of the area. I usually wait till they are in good range for a chance at heavy damage or a kill before I open up with a burst. The only time I throw this rule out is when it's a GAL coming for a drop...or a LIb that looks like it's on a bomb/TB run. In which case I want as much damage early as I can to either make them turn off their path or hoping other people notice me shooting and join in to try and kill it before it reaches target.

5) Keep off of high hills and keep your *** DOWN! Parking with your *** armor up..or exposed is just inviting a Lib to drive some TB up your butt. Don't do it....well being high on a Hill seems like a good idea for vantage....remember you shoot at things that are generally ABOVE you...stick to lower areas were it is easier to ambush aircraft. The Skyguard is all about ambush. Putting yourself on a hill also invites everyone with Lancers/Lock ons and tank cannons to shoot at you as well. Basically...you don't want to get seen. Sometimes this means you won't have the largest field of fire in the world and ESF's may beable to dive behind hills for cover. IT sucks...but you won't always have a great safe vantage point. so error on the side of Safe.

6) AIM for the cockpit! In close up fights...your flack explosions blind the pilots. Aiming for the cockpit when a lib is trying to TB you or someone else will often see them crash or pull up to try and get visibility again. When they are attempting to bomb you, aim for the gun...it blinds the gunner and spoils his aim. And try to move around a bit.

Hope they help, willing to work on TS with people who want to team up.
    • Up x 3
  18. _Kettenblatt_

I use currently G30-Walker at Harraser. Better muzzle velocity as Lightning and costs of Nanites are cheaper. The destroying of an Galaxy works 3 seconds earlier than Skyguard.
  19. somefriggnidiot

As far as on-the-tank goes:
    Find a level of zoom you're comfortable with.
    Fire suppression is your friend.
    Chassis is up to you. Some prefer racer for chasing down runners. Others prefer combat for driving in circles to keep the lib's tank buster off of you.
    Stealth is your best friend, believe it or not. Anything doing serious damage to you won't let NAR kick in, and top armor won't keep you from getting one-clipped by a tank buster. That tank buster not being able to find you, however, will.

For Combat: (The following assume you have maxed stealth and fire suppression.)
    - Stay calm.
    - Don't stay in the same spot for too long. Get a few kills, piss off a few other aircraft, then move. Aircraft attempting to work against you have to operate on your last-known location. Don't let them catch you there.
    - If a lib is looking to tank-bust you, move. Circles work best, as it's difficult for them to keep turning while maintaining decent aim.
    - If a lone ESF is coming in to pod you, let them. Wait for them to get close enough that you can one-clip them. You can tank the damage; they can't.
    - Don't shoot if you don't have to.
    - Don't shoot at an ESF unless you're at least 90% sure you can get the kill. That means make sure it's close, or low enough health that you can finish it before it can run off. At most close-ish ranges, you can one-clip an ESF from full health.
    - Don't piss off Libs if you don't have to. You're a tasty little chocolate bar to them, and they can generally tank the flak long enough to kill you.
    - Gals are usually a waste. Exceptions if they're moving towards you, or are taking fire from other sources. However, a lone skyguard is usually nothing to a whale on the run.
    - Against ground, always shoot back.
    - Against air, shoot back if it won't be a waste of ammo.

In General:
    - Be mindful of your own numbers. Two is a good number. Three skyguards are ideal. With three, you can generally face off against most ground vehicles, as well, and all come out alive.
    - When alone, keep your back side against a rock or tree if at all possible. Bushes work, as well, at least for dampening the light. "Clench tight and hide the light" is good to keep in mind.
    - Don't shoot if you don't have to. (Repetition is intentional.)
    - Aim to blind. Flak is hard to see through. Use that to your advantage depending on what's hitting you.
    • Up x 1
  20. Thardus

This. This is 99% of what you need to know in a Skyguard. Heck, back in Planetside 1, the Skyguard was an actual vehicle, not just a gun, and was, IIRC, incredibly lightly armoured, but the fastest vehicle in the game.

People always complain about the Skyguard being useless, which is crazy. One time, I was dueling with two 2/3 Libs, AND a pair of Reavers, and while it was a losing battle, I held my own long enough that it was eventually an AP Lightning that actually took me out.

I'm not even a good tanker. I simply know that even though the Skyguard IS a dedicated Anti-Air vehicle, I shouldn't expect it to be able to beat aircraft without a reasonable application of skill and tactics.